Medical Staff and Procedures

Gwendara

Fighter
Hi Guys!

The first event is almost upon us, and as such I wanted to post how we will be working medical care for HQ. For all those people who are certified in First Aid, CPR, First Responder, EMT, Paramedic or even the Army CLS, you have the option of becoming part of the medical team. What we have worked out for those who wish to be a part of the team, is that at each event there will be 2-3 providers "on-call". Anytime I am at an event I plan on being one of the providers on-call so I would be looking for 1-2 extra providers. Here's a run down of your basic responsibilities:

-If you are "on call" for the weekend you will need to be available in case someone gets hurt. This means you need to let myself or Michelle know where you are sleeping and realize that you could be called on at any time of the day even when you are sleeping. If at any point you feel unable or unwilling to do your duties, that is ok you just need to let me know so I can have someone else step in. Also, if you are planning on leaving site please find me and let me know when you are leaving and when you have returned. If you are spending the night off site, again that's fine, we just need to know so we can plan accordingly.

-I will be making immediate aid kits, including a combi-pad, some tape, gloves and other small basic items needed for immediate aid before the larger aid bag can be brought to the incident. We will keep this bag small and easy to carry and provide a belt pouch for it. If you are on-call you will need to carry one of these small immediate aid bags with you at all times. We ask that you please turn these pouches back in at the end of the event.

-If at any point you feel an injury or problem is beyond your skill level, I will be more than happy to step in. I will make sure whoever is "on-call" knows where I am sleeping and when/if I leave site I will also check in with Michelle and whoever is on-call. If I am unavailable but Cortni is around, she has even more training than I do and I am sure she will be happy to provide guidance or aid as well.

-I will be maintaining and restocking all the equipment. If you feel there is something we are missing or something you would like to see on site please let me know and I will do my best to get it. Also, anyone that would like a brief run down of what things we have, where they are, and a refresher on how to use them I would be more than happy to go over anything with you.

What do you get in return? We have decided that just for being "on-call" you will receive 30gs per event. If you actually have to step out of game to provide aid you will get an additional gs bonus each time. This will scale with the magnitude of the injury/event and how long you are required to be out of game to deal with it.

At the end of last season I asked for a list of people who are certified and what certifications they have. This is the most current list I have:

Name - Certification
Christine Ditzler - EMT, CPR/AED, ITLS
Cortney Walton - EMT, CPR/AED, ITLS
Patrick Von Raven - CPR/AED, First Aid, Fire Fighter
Onitt Hernandez - CPR/AED, Advanced First Aid, First Responder
Drew Resele - CPR/AED, First aid
Amy Resele - CPR/AED, First aid
Bill Gibbs - CPR/AED, First Aid
Mike Brenizer - CPR/AED, First aid
Duffy - CPR/AED, First aid
Danny Perez - CPR/AED, First aid
Scott Babcock - CPR/AED, First aid
Dave Ehrhart - CPR/AED, First aid
Heather Marvin - CPR/AED, FIrst aid
Dustin Crewell - CPR/AED, First aid
Angel Belford - CLS
Joe Seigel - CLS

I would like to have a copy of your certificate on file (or it's certification number and expiration date if you cannot get me a copy). Please e-mail me a copy at christine.maudlin@gmail.com or you can bring a copy with you to an event. If you are certified and I do not have you on this list and you have an interest in helping out please post here with your name and certification level. Additionally, I will have a basic HIPPA form for all providers to sign stating you won't share patient information with those who are not immediately involved in the person's care.

As far as who is working during the weekend, I plan on first asking if anyone wants to volunteer for the event. From there I will work out a schedule to spread out the providers so no one is getting tapped multiple events in a row. Of course this will be dependent upon who is showing up for the weekend. If I tap you to be a provider for the weekend and you really do not wish to be on-call please let me know. We don't want to force anyone to be on-call.

Michelle and I are planning on getting belt favors for those who are on-call to wear. These will be simple blue cloth strips with a Staff of Asclepius on them. We are trying to minimize any conflict with garb and still have our medical staff visible and easy to find by the players. Hopefully we will have them for the first event, but I don't make any guarantees. :)

Finally, any players that have specific medical concerns please feel free to e-mail me (if you haven't already) with your particular condition should we have to step in and provide aid. As an EMT I am already bound by HIPPA laws. All of this information will be kept confidential and will not be shared with anyone beyond whoever is providing you immediate aid. This is entirely on a volunteer basis to provide you better aid if something happens, no one should feel required or coerced into sharing personal information.

I'm looking forward to a safe and fun-filled season!

-Christine Ditzler

oh i am now cpr and first aid certified. Just got them both with in the last 6 months. thought i would let you know.

heather marvin

Back