Membership fees

My characters are based out of one chapter. I pay membership fees there. If I decide to travel to another Chapter I have to pay membership fee's there. That seems Redundant somehow. At least some chapters offer a per game fee. So If I dont go back for a year (since I am not a "regular player at that chapter") its not too much out of pocket. Can someone explain to me how the "membership fee" works if all the games are "Alliance" games. Why should I pay membership fee's at every chapter? I thought that was built into the price of "admision" or becoming an Alliance player and paying the fee once should cover me in all chapters for the year, no?

Onitt

Sym of Moria said:
My characters are based out of one chapter. I pay membership fees there. If I decide to travel to another Chapter I have to pay membership fee's there. That seems Redundant somehow. At least some chapters offer a per game fee. So If I dont go back for a year (since I am not a "regular player at that chapter") its not too much out of pocket. Can someone explain to me how the "membership fee" works if all the games are "Alliance" games. Why should I pay membership fee's at every chapter? I thought that was built into the price of "admision" or becoming an Alliance player and paying the fee once should cover me in all chapters for the year, no?

Onitt

I know that our membership fees go to defray the cost of insurance and logistics needs. I know that, if insurance was on a nationalk level this would not be as much of a problem. Unfortunately, insurance on a national elvel really isn't too feasible last I checked.

Doverman Wrote- I know that our membership fees go to defray the cost of insurance and logistics needs. I know that, if insurance was on a nationalk level this would not be as much of a problem. Unfortunately, insurance on a national elvel really isn't too feasible last I checked.

I understand insurance fees and camp fee's and all that....my question is arent all these things built into the price we pay for admission? A player that wants to travel to play at multiple chapters has to pay multiple membership fee's and some chapters dont offer a per event fee to pay so you are forced to do a full membership for a chapter you will play once mabey twice at. This "membership" seems a bit fragmented.

Onitt

One nice way you can look at it is that most chapters will give you a few gobbies (usually at least enough for one weekend event) for paying their membership fee and you can use those to blanket yourself at one event you aren't playing that you can't make it to them for... =)

It's not built into event fees. The membership fee is seperate because it is the only fee NPCs have to pay, since they do not pay for the event fee. In some chapters discounts are available by buying a year as opposed to an event, and for some there are added benefits to having more than a single event membership (ability to monthly blanket only when memberships are active, newsletters, etc.).

To echo an argument made on previous threads following similar topics... Even with membership fees, most events are cheaper than trying to go to, say Six Flags, for both days of the weekend... and usually a lot more fun.

There is also the fact that a membership fee is required to be a member of the organization you are playing at, and therefore covered under the insurance policy. This is why the NPC's pay a membership fee, and not a event fee at a reduced, NPC price.

As each chapter is its own business entity, and has its own insurance, there is no way for that to carry over to another chapter.

I want to say thanks for shedding some light into this for me and giving me some food for thought. I appreciate the info and clearing a few things in my mind.

Im not thrilled at having to pay membership at every chapter but I have a better understanding why it is set up as it is.

Thanks all!

Onitt

i always thought it was a membership fee for that chapter...like i buy a year membership at my home chapter..if i play elsewhere i pay the event membership (usually $5) i am pretty sure its not buying membership to Alliance although that would rock !

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
i always thought it was a membership fee for that chapter...like i buy a year membership at my home chapter..if i play elsewhere i pay the event membership (usually $5) i am pretty sure its not buying membership to Alliance although that would rock !

If you read sunnfire's post he explains that. You have to pay membership at any chapter you play. SOME chapters, not all, offer per-event membership.

Alliance CT memberships may be purchased for anyone 18 or over, they come in many different delicious flavors, including Single event.

They make great gifts for your wife, husband, grandmother, secret crush, or your prison mail buddy.

Visit http://www.caldaria.com for details.

[/end shameless plug]

Sunnfire said:
Alliance CT memberships may be purchased for anyone 18 or over, they come in many different delicious flavors, including Single event.

They make great gifts for your wife, husband, grandmother, secret crush, or your prison mail buddy.

[/end shameless plug]

I thought all prison mail buddies were require to NPC for you?

Sunnfire said:
They are, but NPC's still pay membership fees.

You have a point. One would think that if you're bringing your prison mail buddy, you're going to pay his membership, especially if he's NPCing and you're NOT. :D

Sunnfire said:

[/end shameless plug]

Dear the Mr. Sunnfire,

I like to know you gif wrap options also you ship to singapore?

Thanking you,
ebayIsTehRokz0rz57

Membership fees are not a universal requirement. Nor is free NPCing.

Seattle, for instance, charges an annual membership fee in addition to charging an event fee. NPCs pay a reduced event fee, usually, unless something comes up that has them not charge an NPC fee.

Oregon, OTOH, hasn't charged a membership fee yet, nor do they charge their NPCs.

I think I paid a "per event membership" for one of the EC events I flew out to, I know I didn't for another.

Insurance isn't even universal. Some chapters work as a Boy Scouts Explorer Post and obtain group insurance through them, which sometimes only covers the chapter against liability (Seattle's, and possibly Oregon's current policy, is a bit cooler than that). Some chapters obtain insurance that covers staff members against injury during an event or doing "chapter business", some cover attendees against injury during an event. Ultimately, it is up to each chapter to decide what they want to charge, and what they want to apply those funds against.

There is no "Alliance membership" for individuals. There is a chapter-based membership, which may or may not be recognized at another chapter.

{edit - fixed the BSA policy citation)

jpariury said:
Membership fees are not a universal requirement. Nor is free NPCing.

Seattle, for instance, charges an annual membership fee in addition to charging an event fee. NPCs pay a reduced event fee, usually, unless something comes up that has them not charge an NPC fee.

Question....how many npc do you get on avg at an event?

NPC's are often asked to pay the site fee (what it costs for them to be on the site) only if our pre-reges and pre-pays are not sufficient to cover their site costs. We usually get between 4-10 NPC's. If we get to the threshold where they don't have to pay it does get to the higher end of things.

Back