Mending Broken items/armor

Venrick

What are the approved ways to repair broken items?

At a recent event, there was some confusion as to what effects would properly fulfill this. The Mend spell explicitly states that you may either repair a broken item or refit (my word, as the rulebook uses the word 'repair') 20 points of armor. The crafting ability, Field Repair, also uses the call Mend <item>.

Does field repair allow you to choose you to repair 20 points of armor? (I would assume that was not intended)

Moving onto the Mend Armor Storm. Since this spell only calls for the repair of 10 armor points, can it be used to repair broken items as well?

And finally, the Superior Item, Spellsmith's Tools, uses the call similar to the Mend Armor Storm. Does this allow the repairing of broken items, or just the equivalent of refitting 10 points of armor?

What are the approved ways to repair broken items?
The Mend effect and the Tinkering/Smithing Field Repair ability.

If an armor point value is required in the verbal, the only thing it can do is restore lost armor points.

If an armor point value is not an option in the verbal, it may only be used to repair broken items.

Does field repair allow you to choose you to repair 20 points of armor? (I would assume that was not intended)
No. It lets you apply a Mend to a broken item.

Moving onto the Mend Armor Storm. Since this spell only calls for the repair of 10 armor points, can it be used to repair broken items as well?
No.

And finally, the Superior Item, Spellsmith's Tools, uses the call similar to the Mend Armor Storm. Does this allow the repairing of broken items, or just the equivalent of refitting 10 points of armor?
Spellsmith Tools do not allow for the repair of broken items.

how do i repear staff with tinkering skill

If you have at least 1 rank of Tinkering, you may allocate your ability point to the crafting ability Field Repair. Once allocated, you may spend your Meditate and at the end make the call "Elemental Mend staff".

Edit* also, this skill is passive. As long as you purchase it once for the Logistic Period, you may meditate as often as you wish to repair any item.

Last edited:
Back