Merchant take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravengode

OK, so my last question was locked way too quickly for me to ask further clarifying questions. So I will ask here in another thread. The person that answered last time was helpful in clarifying that I can't sell back the "add ons" like silvering and strengthening, I will only get the PP back.
However here is where more of my confusion is, it says I get the PP value, but doesn't specify that being in copper (as was given in the example). Here is why I am confused, if the chapter values say a Longsword at 5 silver, shouldn't I be able to sell a looted (or crafted) Longsword for 5 silver (even though the PP would make it 3)?

Cory

The merchant skill allows a production item to be sold out of game to logistics for its production cost, which is its out of game value. If you wish to sell the item for its in game value, it must be sold in game.

Upvote 0
That seems a bit counter intuitive. If it costs me 30cp to make the Longsword, and then using Merchant I can only recoup 30cp for a net of 0. Shouldn't this skill be more useful than simply selling back item tags that I don't need? Isn't it suppose to be the way Artisan types make money, since they aren't out adventuring the way other classes are? I am now more curious as to the thought behind this?

Cory

Upvote 0
I tried playing an artisan for my PC and quickly found that it is extremely difficult to make money off production alone. If you want the higher profit margin, you're going to have to work for it with in-game roleplaying and out-of-game salesmanship. You'll have to know the exact, specific needs of your potential customers (PCs) as well as the maximum price point for your wares (usually only double or possibly triple production cost, which is quickly neutralized by the increased cost of batching) and cap it all off with extremely aggressive hustling for orders to maximize your production at each and every logistics period. The chapter does not set standard prices for production items; you do as a salesman to get whatever price others are willing to pay. It's all supply and demand at that point.

The craft skills are meant as more of a supplementary skill, such as a scholar making extra scrolls or a fighter making extra arrows without relying on other PCs to meet those immediate needs. It is infinitely more profitable to go fight and loot monsters at the cost of swinging your weapon than it is to make things for others at the cost of build points and in-game coin. In many cases, you will find that there simply not a large enough customer base to absorb all of your wares or for when a sale falls through after you produce a custom order. To help alleviate those situations, the merchant skill was introduced as a means to unload inventory that just isn't selling so you can re-invest those resources. It's the in-game equivalent of wholesaling or secondary/outlet retail, which does have a lower price point than primary retail.

Upvote 0
The chapter is limited by the treasure policy as to how much it can put into the game world. The only way to game the set system is a slow one: higher levels of crafters can make things at 80% of cost, and sell back at full.

It's not meant to be a viable way to make coin, it's meant to be supplemental. Although if you're the only master potion maker in town, you'll probably get enough orders to sell everything at higher than PP cost.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back