Metal Plates

And once again, I cheer for the concept of actually requiring heavy bloody metal for maximum points. :D

Wraith said:
And once again, I cheer for the concept of actually requiring heavy bloody metal for maximum points. :D

I'd cheer more if you couldn't come pretty close to duplicate its effects with a ritual, but hey it's a start. ;)

Artos said:
Wraith said:

I'd cheer more if you couldn't come pretty close to duplicate its effects with a ritual, but hey it's a start. ;)

Preaching to the choir. I'm still pretty pleased that physical armor now goes 10 points higher than arcane ever can, but I'd be even happier if arcane was only available to formalists and not as a ritual usable by anyone (and rather startlingly common in play for a ritual effect that theoretically needs to be cast by players). :D

Wraith said:
if arcane was only available to formalists and not as a ritual usable by anyone (and rather startlingly common in play for a ritual effect that theoretically needs to be cast by players).

Talk to your plot team. The accessibility of Arcane Armor (and it's usage by non-casters) can be controlled by plot. It's not a mechanical issue.

Though, it's my understanding that on the EC fighters run the groups and way outnumber the casters. We don't get that as much on the WC. So, even if only enough AA scrolls go out as casters that want them, the casters still might not get them I suppose. Towards that end, I agree that it's better that AA caps at 30, since your local combat twinks and Super-Sticks will start to lean back towards physical armor to get their 40.

obcidian_bandit said:
Wraith said:
if arcane was only available to formalists and not as a ritual usable by anyone (and rather startlingly common in play for a ritual effect that theoretically needs to be cast by players).

Talk to your plot team. The accessibility of Arcane Armor (and it's usage by non-casters) can be controlled by plot. It's not a mechanical issue.

Heh. I'm not about to try to suggest my local plot team change how they give out goodies to their magic item devouring playerbase based on the opinions of someone who gets to play a couple times a year. They'll put out what makes their bread-and-butter constituents that make it to every game happy. :)

I am currently looking for good steel plates myself. However unlike Ket's these would be visible so need to look good, ie not look like washers and switchplates but real armor. Unfortunately I do not have a grinder to round off edges or something to cut small plates, so I am wondering if anyone has found anything available that would work. I am basically looking for plates that are about 3" X 1", rounded edges, and preferably with 4 holes in them so I can rivet them to a backing. I am planning on attaching them to a leather backing, something like a 4 - 5oz side. The finished product would be like a large leather tabard reinforced with steel plate. Something like lamellar armor.

Oh, and they can't be aluminum, but actual steel. I'd like to get my 3 pts for each location :)

Good luck with that. Your best bet's probably going to be trying to get a sheet metal shop to cut and finish them for you, and it's not going to be cheap. A quick online quote shows about 2.44/each for at least 100, of stainless steel with an industrial, not polished, finish. And that's with square corners.

A quick online quote shows about 2.44/each for at least 100, of stainless steel with an industrial, not polished, finish. And that's with square corners.

Yeah, that doesn't seem to be doable at all. Probably end up needing somewhere between 1200 and 1500 for what I am planning on making. At 2.44 per plate, that's over $3000! For that amount I can get a laser cutter and do it myself. Thinking that I may go ahead and get the switchplate covers and finish them myself, either by laquering them or possibly utilizing spray paints to make a rough, used finish. Just need to find someplace that sells in bulk / clearance. Wish I was still in college. With the art studio there I could have produced as many plates as I needed from scrap at little to no cost! Ah well.

if you get the switch plates (60 cents per at home depot--give/take depending on size) you could cut them to size and shape you wanted with a wet saw, if you can't borrow one you could rent one from home depot, it would not be much to rent one for a few hors and they have guides like a table saw. I have used mine to cut stuff like that before. There are some 6inch plates that you could get 2 out of (they have slots for screws on the ends so wouldn't the end parts) saw some yesterday but don't recall what they were proced at.

Siegfried said:
A quick online quote shows about 2.44/each for at least 100, of stainless steel with an industrial, not polished, finish. And that's with square corners.

Yeah, that doesn't seem to be doable at all. Probably end up needing somewhere between 1200 and 1500 for what I am planning on making. At 2.44 per plate, that's over $3000! For that amount I can get a laser cutter and do it myself. Thinking that I may go ahead and get the switchplate covers and finish them myself, either by laquering them or possibly utilizing spray paints to make a rough, used finish. Just need to find someplace that sells in bulk / clearance. Wish I was still in college. With the art studio there I could have produced as many plates as I needed from scrap at little to no cost! Ah well.

I suppose if you didn't mind hating yourself, you could cut them with snips, file them smooth, then drill the holes.

But personally I'd make chainmaile by hand again before going that route.

Back