MI and FL

Hammerfist

Artisan
So with all the coverage of what is going on with the MI and FL primary rulings, I was wondering what the opinions of the Alliance community was.

The political parties have the ability and right to set whatever rules they feel are appropriate to choosing their candidates (and I don' think we should be funding public elections for primaries). MI and FL broke the rules of the national party and chose to go forward with their own plans.

Now, let's look at exactly what is being elected in a primary - delegates. Local representatives of the will of the voters to go to the national convention and speak for the people they are representing. Since these are local people being chosen, why should the national party be up in arms as to when they are chosen?

Because the national party needs to control the process in such a way as to ensure that a candidate's campaign can be managed for the general election. Jumping the gun for ealrier and earlier primaries only extends the length of the process and wears out the average voter.

I think it's the old argument of federal vs local control.

i think since they were told BEFORE hand that their votes wouldn't count or wouldn't count on the whole when they wanted to have early primarys then nothing should count for them. 20/20 hindsight says:

FL/MI: hey let's have our primary's early!
Govt': Okay but your votes won't count because you're giong too soon
FL/MI: oh okay nevermind we'll wait

it also has a lot to do with relative importance in the overall campaign. for years, Iowa has been one of the most important Primaries not because it has any kind of weathervane value, but because it comes first. Florida and Michigan were just looking to be considered as important in the schedule of the candidates. part of the reason the Electoral College is still in use

that's a whole other subject..i abhor the college...i'm totally for popular vote...i hate how 46% of a state can feel one way but because 54% go the other way allllll the electorals go for that...thats POOPY! (i get upset at political things..sorry about the cacamouth)

go caca crazy, that's the best part about Democracy: the more vociferious, the better the system :)

alright, two things. first, not all states play by the "all or nothing" philosophy, so some states do give representative delegates which means if the popular vote is close, so are the Electoral delegates. second, an upside of the Electoral College is that, just like the Senate, it gives the smaller states a chance to have a say in the election. the argument runs: if the EC didn't exist, none of the candidates would ever visit Michigan, Oregon, Idaho, ect. because the population just isn't important; you take Texas, California, Florida, and New York - suddenly you're POTUS

Either way, the dems do apportion the delegates according to the proportional vote. Remember, folks, we're not dealing with an actual governmental agency, we're dealing with a political party. They can decide to do things however they want to. I think they added the superdelegates so they could override the popular vote if the rank and file democrats chose what they deemed was a poor candidate.

MI and FL didn't listen to the central body of democrats and they are paying disproportianately for it. According to party rules (apparently) having ALL of their delegates stripped was not an ok thing.

doesn't feel like a party...

heheheh

and i'm sick of v oting for the lesser of two evils...can't we get a real good person?

Back