Might be moving

jnelson

Adept
Hi, all.

I got picked up by the Army to be a recruiter (got to love forced reclassification and reassignment!). About the only option I get is possible duty location. I'm seriously considering moving out to the East Coast from the midwest...there aren't a lot of openings here in IA where I live, and I'd like to try something new.

One of the places I'm serously considering moving is the New Hampshire area. I was wondering if folks could kind of give me an idea of good places to live, things to do, things to see, fishing spots, camping spots, cost of living, etc?

Josh Clark (Lost_Nation) on the boards will be coming with me when I move. One of the goals is to get as close as possible to an Alliance Chapter.

I really don't know eactly where the openings are in the area or if I can guarantee one, but I'd really like to try. And hopefully join your chapter.

Thanks for your help!

-Joy

Claremont isn't that bad (I live here :D), and Lebanon/Hanover is a pretty decent area. The NH chapter has most of it's games here in Claremont, And Lebanon/Hanover is just 30 minutes away - Plus, it's only an hour or 2 to the CT chapter from here. The cost of living is fairly low in Claremont, higher in Lebanon - but either way the cost of living is much higher here than the midwest - you're looking at roughly $800 a month + utils for a 1 bedroom apartment in Claremont, And probably closer to $1100 + utils in Lebanon, unless you really get lucky and/or live in a crappy place. There's lots of good fishing/camping/outdoorsy type things here, but not much to see or do really. Lebanon is better for things to see and do.

In my experience, living in a more southern part of NH isn't bad. It's def a lot less "in the middle of no-where" and you're still near a bunch of stuff to do (camping, skiing, hiking, beach, and boston is only about 40 min away if you're on the east coast). It took around 1.5 hours to get to the NH chapter from there. Best part about the east coast, there's tons of chapters that aren't that far away from one another. Good luck!

Doesn't the military still cover housing? If not, then Jessica is right. I live in West Lebanon, and pay just under $1k per month for a really nice 2-bedroom, third floor apartment in a nice, quiet neighborhood.

However, keep in mind that you can get between any two points in New Hampshire in a matter of hours -- something midwesterners and west coast folks generally aren't accustomed to, given the huge size of their states.

I really recommend finding a place in Manchester or Concord, where things aren't so rural and boring as the Upper Valley. It's true -- Hanover is a beautiful college town. But after the novelty of the local eateries and the view of the college girls (this likely does not apply to you) wears off, it's pretty boring.

Living in Concord or Manchester puts you within an hour-or-so drive of TWO chapters: Deadlands and Caldaria. (I drive 80 MPH, generally. It may be a little longer for you.) Because these are cities, non-LARP entertainment will be more accessible and the cost of living will be slightly lower. For example: Here in Lebanon a one-month gym membership is $60. In the city it's $25.

There are a ton of folks local to Concord that play Deadlands. They would be a lot more informative on this than I, probably.

I live in Concord and it is pretty nice. The apartments around here are pretty cheap. Ranging from $750 to $1000 a month depending on how nice of a complex you want. A lot the apartment complexes are the main strip here in town but they have many buildings and can be tucked away making it very quite.

As far as attractions go there is a mall, 2 movie theaters, several bar, and restaurants for you to spend your time at. When all that gets boring Manchester is only about 20 minutes away. There you have even more bars/restaurants, an IMAX, the Verizon center for shows, night clubs, and pretty much anything else you might think is fun.

Shane is right about traveling. I used to live in the LA area and it would take you an hour to travel anywhere but you were only going a couple miles. As far as here it takes about an hour to get anywhere why you are going 40 to 50 miles. It takes me an hour to get to the NH site(both locations) and I really only drive about 5 over the speed limit. I know that the Caladaria chapter wants to change where they hold their events, but the site they have now is about 2 hours away. There is a quicker way to it that only takes an hour but it has been years since I have been there I do not remember the way anymore.

Hope this helps you out. If you have any questions on things I didn't cover then feel free to email me at Ohhemegee@gmail.com.

there is a link to the new site on the Caldaria website... the new site is in CT

Yes! Claremont and Lebanon are awesome! I'd be supper excited to see you guys if you'll be out on the east coast. Will you be there this summer? NH and CT chapters are close. But if you're willing to drive NJ and HQ are within the 5-6 hour range. :D

Also, NH is the best. Live Free or Die!

Thanks for the good info!

A lot of things are still in flux...unfortunately, that's the way the Army works. Hurry up and get ready to jump this way...wait for half a year, then jump a completely different way. It all depends on how things change over the summer, but it'd be late Novemberish at the earliest.

Still, never hurts to get ahead!

Back