Mockery of a Noble?

Ractor

Artisan
Wisconsin Staff
"It should also be noted that all persons are required to bow before those Nobles higher in rank than one self, the refusal to do so can be interpreted by the courts as Mockery."

So wait a sec, I have to bow now? No offense made but thats a load of crap.

Bart
Pround Mistic Wood Elf

In mi familia, I were taught dhat a woman NEVER bows before a man, much less a gaje man. Again dhere eez nye offense to be meant, but who made dhis rule?

Tings I forget to say:

I understand dhat a noble eez treated wit' respect for dhey are proprietors of laws and order, or at leas' dhey should be. But dhey would be noting witout dheir citizens. Wherefore should we 'ave to bow to a man or woman who serves our needs as we serve dheirs? For dheir work and fine service, I were taught to give gifts and hospitality. Bowing...dhis eez a custom I am nye familiar wit'.

Bowing, it is an oddly disturbing custom. I admit, when I was fresh out of the highlands in Moria, I balked at the idea of bowing. Why should I show that form of respect to someone who happens to be noble? Rubbish, I refused! Why can't a simple nod be sufficient? And then I began to learn, a lot.
The price of becoming a noble is to loose ones self, and take on the burden of an entire land. A good noble stops being just them, and become the people and land they serve. A bad noble should be stripped of their titles and returned to common stock 'til they learn this.
So, when you bow to a noble, you show respect to the office, and the sacrifice made by that noble when they took on that title. You are not bowing to a person, but to the idea of good and justice and mercy and law and faith and yourself and everyone around you.
So when you think about it, it is right to bow to a noble, as a way of saying thank you for helping to make the world a little bit better. Even if that particular noble has not yet earned your personal respect, give them the benefit of the chance. And if they turn out to be a bad noble, seek out the paladins and let the government work they way it is meant to. You may just find yourself someday having to tell others why you long ago changed from being incensed about bowing, to doing it because it is the right thing to do.

Lauroc
Once a simple sheep farmer and scribe.

I can see where dhe bowing custom originates, now. Grazie, Lauroc. Dhis explains a lot. Alt'ough, I do nye tink dhat eet should be punishable 'less dhey outright mock dhe noble.

If you are in a land that skipping would get you flogged do you skip? In a home were coats are racked on hangers do you throw your hat on the floor? In a place were stabbing out your mother's eyes is encuraged would you have a child?

Throught history manny things apear odd or different, so may your differences be odd to others. Knowing somthing leaves you with a choice, to ignolage or ignore. What is the punishment for skipping? The punishment is the amount mesured to it's signifacants and intentions. Though you were not told to hang your hat can you not assume that the floor is to be cept clean? Do you ignore your lover's eyes or consider the consenquence that may come to you from another?

Arkade Prince,
The Nightmare.

Ractor said:
"It should also be noted that all persons are required to bow before those Nobles higher in rank than one self, the refusal to do so can be interpreted by the courts as Mockery."

So wait a sec, I have to bow now? No offense made but thats a load of crap.

Bart
Pround Mistic Wood Elf

I quote you as you quote the law, I make darker two words dat I think important.

I ave never met you but I am also avare of the freedom that is enjoyed by Mystic Vood Elves and the Romani. The shackles of unfit rulers and unjust nobles to place thier laws upon us to hinder our personal freedoms, it is appauling no? However, I also have met few of the nobles of Valdanis, Sir Garoth is one ofthem and I have yet have him prosecute me, or flog me or such, for not the bowing thing. I gladly vould bow to any person that I respect and whom I owe to the many times that they have saved my life and the protection dat they provide for the people around them. This is a sign of respect, not a loss of any freedom.

Just my two coppers worth,

Maxwell Maximus Maldovia-Moore
A simple healer, teacher, winemaker and entertainer

(you can't see it soo good, the vords I make darker is the CAN BE of the law. Can be interpreted by the courts as Mockery, dat is the important part)

Maxwell

Oh, I can't resist a good debate on the nature of government and its application. Marce, a monarchy is indeed, and without a doubt, an autocracy: the King's word is Law, without reservation. The Law, and hence the King's voice, demands that if a noble wishes, all must genuflect to them - Lord Garoth would be well within his rights, as a vassal to King Daefell, to demand punishment upon the head of any who disobey. There are no exceptions, there is no discussion, there is no appeal.

And, though I understand both Mystics and Rom chafe at the thought of bending neck to a lord, it is the price one pays for security and longevity. Enjoying the bounty a lord provides but refusing to show her deference as a lord speaks to the greatest of hypocrisy. DerWyrve spoke it true, one is bowing to show thanks and obligation to the kingdom for existing - it is a recognition that without lords and the king, the land falls.

Desamerre, bowing does not make you subservient or lesser, it shows you have the mind to respect those who safeguard you. You are not donning shackles, but applauding your protector.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Simple Keeper of the Tainted Grove

I were ne'er taught to bow for dhe fact dhat in mos' lands (Briarpass, for instance) Romani are nye subject to dhe law's protection, only eets reprimand. We are vagrants. In many places treated as such because we are nye citizens of any land. We do nye swear fealty to any lord or noble as we value freedom in a much different way dhan ot'er races and oft' already have our loyalty to our familia. Mos' of us, anyvay. Dhere eez an occasional Roma fratello or sorella dhat does become nobility.

Mobius said:
Oh, I can't resist a good debate on the nature of government and its application. Marce, a monarchy is indeed, and without a doubt, an autocracy: the King's word is Law, without reservation. The Law, and hence the King's voice, demands that if a noble wishes, all must genuflect to them - Lord Garoth would be well within his rights, as a vassal to King Daefell, to demand punishment upon the head of any who disobey. There are no exceptions, there is no discussion, there is no appeal.

And, though I understand both Mystics and Rom chafe at the thought of bending neck to a lord, it is the price one pays for security and longevity. Enjoying the bounty a lord provides but refusing to show her deference as a lord speaks to the greatest of hypocrisy. DerWyrve spoke it true, one is bowing to show thanks and obligation to the kingdom for existing - it is a recognition that without lords and the king, the land falls.

Desamerre, bowing does not make you subservient or lesser, it shows you have the mind to respect those who safeguard you. You are not donning shackles, but applauding your protector.

Dramthin Hartsboon

I am sorry Dram, but last time I checked, it was us adventures who are fighting our butts off to protect this land, the people, and alot more often then not, the King and the like. Yeah the King has his army and they protect this land, but we adventures stay outside the city walls, keeping the threats that would scary many a soilder off and make armys useless.

Bart

I apologize to anyone I may have offended by not showing such displays of respect. In my land we have no Nobles. We have a councle of Elders and they do not require us to bow before them. I will try harder from now on.

Again, I do apologize for my seemingly heathen ways.

-Silvara Fierfox V.

Fighting is the least fraction of one part of protecting the land. Farmers and nobles do more in a week to safeguard and bolster a kindgom than an adventurer may do in her entire life. Stewardship is a thankless, grueling, immolating task - and every time you disparage the king, belittle nobility, or snub a lord, you are spitting in the face of every citizen. You are saying, by mere dint of your heritage and your sword, you are above all; you are diminishing not only the lords' sacrifice, but that of their vassals and their serfs.

I have admiration for the free spirit of Mystics and Rom alike, but refusing to show respect and deference to nobles is not exercising your freedom, it's a expression of contempt. Enjoying a kingdom's hospitality while sneering at the king is a base and wretched action.

Dramthin Hartsboon

I were jus' nye accustomed to kingdoms, as dhey are. As Silvara said, I do apologize for my seemingly heat'an ways.

May fortune and love find you where'er,

~Marcena Cenkraea "The Dove" Idumea Dagon...who has jus' recently discovered dhe value of bowing.

Back