Mod Cards: Problems and Solutions

Alex319

Artisan
While at Genghis Con a couple weeks ago, I had an interesting discussion with Jesse about mod cards. As I see it, the benefits and disadvantages of mod cards are as follows (feel free to correct me if this isn't an accurate summary):

BENEFITS:

1. It enables players who want to play "explorer" or "scout" type characters or teams to actually go out and explore and scout and find things.

2. It gives players a simple way to actively search for mods. That way players who want to participate in mods have a way of actively going out and searching for them rather than just waiting for a mod hook to show up. (That's not to say there aren't other ways of actively looking for hooks; there was a recent document posted about how to get more plot that addresses this issue in detail. But this is one way of looking for mods.)

DISADVANTAGES:

1. Since mod cards can be found in any order, and there is no guarantee that a particular mod will ever be found, it can be difficult for Plot to weave these mod cards into the overall story.

2. Since mod cards can be found and turned in at any time, it is difficult logistically for Plot to run, since players could bring them to NPC camp at a time when the NPCs are needed for other story related events.

3. In particular, lots of people go and search for mod cards early Saturday morning in order to get them before others get them. This leads to lots of people wanting to do mods on Saturday morning, which can lead to a backlog.

---

Thus I have come up with some potential ideas for hoe to keep some of the advantages of mod cards whie mitigating the logistical issues.

-- Idea 1: Delayed Hook ---

The idea here is that the mod card would have some piece of information on it, which means nothing in itself but whose significance is revealed later, by a hook. For instance, a mod card could say something like "You see a tree with a red X marked on it." This would not be turned in when you see it. But later in the day, for instance, the sheriff could come in and say "We've just learned that the Evil Guild of Evilness has set up evil bases marked by trees with red Xs on them. Anyone who has seen one of these trees is invited to get a group together and raid the evil base."

This way it still rewards the players who went out and scouted early on, since they will know where to go for the mod. But the time at which the hook is sent out is still under Plot control.

-- Idea 2: Timed Mod Cards --

In this idea, a mod card would have a time at which the mod is to be run marked on it. For instance, let's say a mod card says it will be run at 1:30 PM. Then if I went out and found the mod card at 11:00 in the morning, I would not take the mod card to NPC camp. Rather, I would get my group together, then show up at the mod location at 1:30. The NPCs would know to set up at that mod location at exactly 1:30 PM. (With this idea, since you would not turn in mod cards to NPC camp, the NPCs would just show up at the mod at the designated time. If there was no PC group there, then the NPCs would just leave and not run the mod. But it sounds like lots of groups are searching for mods, so hopefully that won't happen all that often.)

Again, you have to explore to find the mod, but the mod is always done at a time which is chosen by Plot based on their needs. Another advantage of this method is that it forces players to be prompt, since if they do not show up at the designated time they will miss the mod. This I think could minimize the amount of NPC time used, because the NPCs don't have to wait for the PC group to set up- they just go there at the designated time, and if there's no PCs there, they can go back.

-- Idea 3: Proof of Exploration --

In this idea, cards would be placed around the site that just have, say, four-digit codes on them, and no other information. If you wanted to explore the area as a PC, you would walk around the site and record any codes you find. Then you would go back to NPC camp and say, e.g. "I just explored around for an hour and found these six codes, did I find anything?" The purpose of the codes here is just to serve as a "proof of work" that you actually did walk around the site and explore. Then the NPC camp could tell you what you found based in part on their needs - for instance, if they didn't have any NPCs to run anything, they could say you didn't find anything. (This would encourage groups to stagger their explorations, because they are less likely to find something if they explore when everybody else is, due to competition for NPCs.) Or the more codes you found, the more thoroughly you explored so the more likely you are to get something if there is competition, etc. So the explorer and scout PCs could still go around and explore and scout and find things, without messing up the Plot timeline.

---

Do you agree with this assessment of the current system? What do you think about these ideas?

Hey Alex. Interesting post! We are in the process of revamping mod cards for the 2015 season. We will be sure to discuss your ideas at the next meeting. Something will be posted soon about how we will be running them this year.

I like the idea of 1 of 3, but with two unless I miss understand it I could see 3 teams all showing up for x mod. I also like the idea of varying when mod cards are put out, so even if the early risers ( myself included) find a couple, later that day others appear that way it encourages more exploration which I personally love, and makes it more of an even playing field for those who don't have a stupid internal clock like myself.

That could lead to 3 teams all showing up for the same mod. One idea in that case could be to run the mod 3 times, one for each team. One advantage of this is that it uses NPC time more efficiently. Let's say it takes 15 minutes for the NPCs to get suited up, briefed, and walk to the mod site, then 10 minutes to run the mod, then 5 more minutes for the NPCs to go back to NPC camp. In that case it takes the NPCs 30 minutes to run one mod. But if you run the same mod 3 times in the same place, then only the time to run the mod is tripled, so you effectively take 50 minutes to run three mods, improving the "number of mods run per NPC-hour".

Another advantage of this, even if you choose not to do it that way, is that it tells Plot if and when there is too much competition for mods. For instance, if Plot sees that all the mods with times around, say, 1:00-3:00 PM have multiple teams show up, but mods at other times don't, then they know there is more demand for mods in the 1:00-3:00 time slot so they can know to plan for next time.

(I know that in the other thread about nobles and commoners, David had talked about the need to collect more data, so that could be of help in this respect)

Another idea (that I just posted in a new thread) is to combine scouting with NPCing. That is, if me or my group wants to go out scouting, rather than going through the woods, they go to NPC camp and do an NPC stint (while IC, the characters are out scouting). Then at the end of the NPC stint they can be given a mod card saying what they found. This would have the advantage that it gives Plot access to more NPCs, which they always need.

The above suggestion is a very economic incentive which I like. NPCs are something we need. What do PCs want? Trade one for the other. Especially if it's as simple as "You have found this band of orcs. In order to fight them, you will need to assemble a group of 6. Show up to NPC camp for a quick stint as crunchies and then the orcs will be ready to fight you". I mean..seriously sell it better than that but you get the picture. :)

The above suggestion is a very economic incentive which I like. NPCs are something we need. What do PCs want? Trade one for the other. Especially if it's as simple as "You have found this band of orcs. In order to fight them, you will need to assemble a group of 6. Show up to NPC camp for a quick stint as crunchies and then the orcs will be ready to fight you". I mean..seriously sell it better than that but you get the picture. :)

There is no such thing as a quick stint as crunchies for some of us and how were required to or choose to costume unfortunately.

Porch, there is the option of NPCing as a crunchy on someone else's module in a Marshaled situation without a full costume/make-up change.

Trace

Unless they're portraying Sarr crunchies, Armored Crunchies, etc, its definitely not quick both due to getting out of things, and fixing makeup if damaged is all.

Keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who loves NPCing.

Just brainstorming here, there are of course pros and cons to lots of these suggestions. I think it's really important to throw everything up on the wall before we start tearing them down.

Oh yea, just saying it's not quick for some of us is all. Other people? Easy as hell, slap on a mask and Tabbard.

"Why, that orc looks quite like squire frank!" Yeah I can see the point, tho at the same time it'd be pretty easy for me to throw on a mask and a tabard. I don't know how involved getting in/out of your armor is... i'm guessing it's not fun.

Dude just wearing the same studded leather armor (no mask) I had like 1/4th of the game ask if I was playing Frank while NPCing.

Takes like 5 minutes to take off or put on IF everything comes together and no bunches issues with the Plate. But it also requires space to take off/put on, store, and put my mask in a safe place, etc. Mostly Id be more concerned about messing up my makeup if I was playing a sarr.

A Marshal should mention to the PCs, "Just so you know, we have some other PCs doing a monster shift for us. No, those are not their PCs. They're [orcs]."

In the southeast, it's local culture for the boffer LARPs that there are few full-time NPCs for the weekend. PCs are expected to volunteer for a few hours over the weekend. These sorts of situations are very commonplace there. A quick word from a Marshal can usually clear it up.

I would like to see required NPC shifts. I'm probably in the minority. Right now we get by on the VERY generous time put in by our awesome NPC volunteers. I don't think this will be able to last forever, especially if the game keeps growing like it has been.

I've spent many years LARPing in a culture which requires mandatory volunteer time. I'm no fan. It's an effective solution, but also an extreme one. I think Alex is on the right track with starting a conversation about creative incentives for NPC and monster shifts during events. I think incentivizing not only players, but whole teams to take some time out to monster is a much gentler, and easier first step in a direction.

One easy thing - Rule #1: Just ask! I have every confidence that if Plot said, "We have a field battle this weekend wherein we'd like another 10 monsters. The reward for NPC is blah blah blah," those slots would fill up within 24 hours of making the request every single time. Our players are helpful sorts who love to give back to the game. Just make it convenient for them to do so, and they will.

Trace

EDIT: P.S. Just to clarify if anyone cares, the southeast boffer LARPs require "volunteer" time, not necessarily monster/NPC. If you work in the tavern, setup or strike before or after events, work Logistics, volunteer as an EMT, and so forth, those all count toward your community service. Monstering is just the obvious and most broad need.

Ohh, I didn't realize they offered volunteer time as another option. Very cool.

I am also against required time for PCs. Don't get me wrong I enjoy NPCing when I do, but the moments it's required I feel I would think of it as a chore and start to resent it. I am much more on board with incentivising and having plot request people for field battles where they need more people, especially if they can help provide a reason the players are not there IG. That being said, I am less against requiring some setup/strikedown help even if it rotates through the attending player base.

Back