Monster Slayer Ettiquette

Not if the system encouraged build expenditure to be a better fighter in ways other than being a better thug. One of the big traps of the current system is that you can't eschew profs to pick up parries. You want to be a better defender? First spend 30 build on +2 passive damage, whether you want to or not.

It also does not help that Parry is the only defensive skill. Fighters should also have access to evade at a reasonable cost. To avoid those nasty massive and carrier attacks.

And I know you will say, "What about Riposte?" But Riposte really is an hidden offensive skill. It is just something you must have if you want to try and land slays or eviscerates. It is terrible defensively because most anything worth riposting like a evis/slay/terminate/assassinate also has riposte by virtue of having those skills to begin with. You are better off parrying most of these attacks.

I think opening up skills after a certain number of profs makes sense to reduce the damage, but unless you increase the actual cost of the prof there will be people who will still just buy damage.

If you present people with other options than what is currently done, they will only be selected if they are mechanically more powerful than the current option. (Barring the outlier "I buy x because it makes me a better roleplayer" guys.)

You need to also decrease the attractiveness of the current option.

I'd be okay with removing weapon prof pre-requisites from fighter skills (but perhaps making a certain number of appropriate martial skills, including weapon profs, needed for eviscerate, riposte, terminate and dodge).

You do something like buy 2 profs get a parry. Buy 2 more profs get as many parries as you want. Same for slays. Make ripostes buy able once per 2 parries and eviscerates once per 2 slays.

Same kind of thing for evades & dodges and assassinates & terminates.

Would need to figure out something for disarms, stun limb and shatters. Maybe one of any (or all) buyable per prof/backstab?

Then make prof & backstab increase in cost for each one bought. Either something like each prof requires 3+x crit attacks, where x is the number of profs you already have or a prof is 15 (or maybe 10) build + 1x or 2x, where x is the number of profs you already have. Same for backstabs. I'd have to do all the math to see which I really think balances out more.

At the same time though you'd really need to adjust the mechanism by which wand damage increases, mainly because that is another place with the potential for ridiculous numbers.

And then make slays & assassinates a flat amount. Otherwise you get some guy running around with 98 of the things.

Though a 1970 slay would be pretty neat looking. If you don't defend against it you have to violate the drug policy.

Double posted.

Back