Music!

Do You Want More Music At Alliance HQ?

• #1. Music rocks, and I want more of it in the game.

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • #2. Music is cool, but I only want it in certain areas (i.e. the tavern, the town, the woods, the mo

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • #3. Music is neat, but I only want it at certain times (i.e. during plot-driven scenes, at the annua

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • #3. I'd prefer that music be left out of the game entirely.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Come to think of it, the last Guidlmaster was a bard too. I think it's a requirement in Fairdale before you can take that job.

I think that ambient music would be an interesting touch for modules and such.

There are two bands that play some really good ambient music, especially if you are trying for an eerie feel.

One is Nox Arcana and the other is Midnight Syndicate. My personal favorite is Midnight Syndicate's CD of music based on Dungeons and Dragons which features epic battle music and tavern music.

As far as tavern music, I liked how there was music playing during the ducal ball. It added to the party atmosphere.

I'm not sure if there should be music playing every single event though because it then becomes monotinous rather that special. The trick is to know the special events or modules that can benefit from music.

I'd be willing/really excited to make an IG band with you guitar-loving guys! Alda would really love it- it would remind her of her people before the great sleep and it would make for some great personal development for her!!! I'd even be willing to do some OOG practice between events! (Even if we can't get together, we could do research online to find authentic music that we can all learn!) Anyone else like the idea? What other instruments would we need? I can play recorder, any type of non-metal-rimmed hand drum (that I currently unfortunately don't own), and sing!

So I'm a huge music geek and have already gone searching online for period-appropriate music that I may be able to play for this, if you all want that. I found an AWESOME website that has FREE printable sheet music, organized by period and level of difficulty. I've printed out a number of pieces for recorder and accompaniment (piano or guitar, and I can add tabs to the piano parts so we can play them on guitar if need be!), and even a recorder quartet and recorder duet (that we can probably fake with different instruments/whatever is available?) There's all kinds of awesome stuff online.

Here's the starting website for all of this stuff:
http://www.free-scores.com/free-sheet-m ... EGORIE=130

I've looked through pretty much all the Renaissance stuff and some of the earlier Baroque stuff (though most of the Baroque stuff on that site is Vivaldi's Four Seasons, which I think is too well known and definitely sounds out-of-period.) I'm able to learn anything so long as the key isn't too crazy (Cause half-holing accidentals on recorder just sounds really bad. There is no easy way around it.) F#, C# and Bb have their own fingerings, but once we get into G# or Eb (A major, Bb major) and beyond I have to do some half-hole craziness, so I'm trying to avoid songs with those keys involved.

Ummm... I'm kinda really excited about this. Even if no one else is really into learning it all, I'd still be up for randomly wandering through the tavern as a soloist, so long as I don't get annoying. If any guidelines were to be set up, I'd surely follow them! :) Yaaay music!!! :D

Oh, soprano recorder also can't play below a middle C, so that kinda sucks and limits my ability to try to steal violin music... but I dunno, I'm still up for taking a look at anything else you guys find!! :)

We should totally make an IG Guild of Bards.

They could make deals with the Tavern owners about stage area, performance times and dates, tipping policies, etc. If it was organized well enough, you might be able to convince plot to have "the tavern" pay the guild to regularly put on shows (it would keep their guests entertained and draw more folks to add to their business).

Or, perhaps if we wanted the guild to get ducaly sanctioned we would have to pay the tavern to play there but got to keep all the tips... therefore the guild would need to charge a small fee (dues) to it's members.. but that went towards paying the tavern and taxes to his Grace (if such things existed). The guild members would "get something" out of it by being scheduled to perform.

The guild could even create policies like... if you play an instrument then you have to accompany a performer twice a year or something (to encourage better performances). Or.. if you only sing, you need to take an hour lesson of another instrument twice a year. The possibilities are quite endless. I've actually always wanted to build a small stage in the corner of the tavern (just a step up) that would encourage more bards, performers, cryers, and the like.

Hmmm (deep in thought)...

I kept myself out of here because I generally agreed with snippets of what other people said, but, Robb: THIS. And when spots are open, the stage can be open for improv/"jam sessions", for lack of a better word. I wouldn't even mind leaving out an instrument or two (I'd gladly bring my bongos and guitar, maybe ukulele?) to encourage it. Any tips that could be made from improvisation could be split between those taking part in it, obvi.

HELL YES, Robb. That is an amazing idea! <3

Yes! What an awesome idea!!! Alda would totally join the guild! And I can provide sheet music OOG, but someone would have to teach her to read music IG, and that would be some super fun RP! (... though I guess we'd have to get over the fact that modern music notation is totally anachronistic...) ... Actually, yeah, would you guys even want me to bring music, or would that be too out of place? And what would we use for stands??? Hmmm... But if we don't read music, when do we find time to practice together/do we all wanna put in the effort to memorize stuff?

I think it would be nice to have some live music playing in the tavern, but if some soft recorded stuff was the best that could be done then I'd live with it. As for music elsewhere, I could definitely do without music in the woods, during battles, etc. As nice and moving as a good musical score can be in the movies, the characters in said movies aren't hearing it and IMO neither should I. I'd be more inclined to find the source of said music and silence it before it gave away my position to the tone deaf baddies lurking about. :)

Back