My words...

Balryn

Accusations have been leveled at me for attempting to disrupt the chapter house of the earth guild of Dagliano here in Crocevia. Many of you don?t really know me. I am a quiet man in person. I have a past that seems to have taken a life of it?s own and had rumormill and disorder amongst my actions.

I have taken no part in anything regarding the earth guild. I respect the guild houses of the earth more than any person in this town.

One of the few things I am outspoken on is when my people, my family, or my truest of friends are discriminated against. I hold no blindness or sympathy for members of my family, they are people like and other- with traits both good and bad.

When the alliances of fear and misplaced words beset the actions to which one performs -they corrupt the sanctity of the realm. In reaction to coming to this town and discovering my people being excluded from the one guild we have always served faithlessly, I was forced to take up words not with someone who believed me to be a man, but as a gyspy who?s only crime against the town was to call my clansman Mykell brother.

Some of you have problems with Mykell? I have had problems with Mykell. I have drawn my blade against Mykell and I have also share a fine glass of wine with him. He has caused harm in some places and prevented catastrophe in others. Like any man, his actions have balance that only he understands. But he is my brother. Born to my people during a year of stryfe? I met Mykell as a fellow traveler and brother of the earth.

I do not allow racial bias against my people or any other.

As an elder of my people, my clan, my tribe, and my family I have served as the justicar of both war and wisdom guiding by the decisions of my people. I am also an caster of the earth and a protector of the earth. I have dedicated years of my life to protecting it and obliterating those creatures that would cause it harm. I have paid the cost of both a brother and the cost of seeing clansmen die horrible deaths, and even the cost of parts of my own spirit.

I have fought for this town and I have fought with this town just as you all have. I once came through Dagliano frequently in years past and much of this great nation reminds me little of what I remember? but it is like a person with great balance, sometimes weighing one direction more than another.

Most importantly, my people are not lawless nor are we above the law. We abide by local laws more than many other races- yet the people here do not listen to the actions we take nor do they trust us because they may have had one ill occurrence with a rom who they dislike.

I have had my reasons to dislike the guildmistress of the earth guild because of her actions and her actions alone. I have never held those actions against the guildhouse nor do I believe those actions and the guild are the same. She like any other person is allowed to have personal viewpoints that are not those of the guild. It is those beliefs I have spoken against, not the workings of the guildhouse.

If you dislike a race or a family due to one member? you will quickly find that your heart is closed and that hatred is simple bias, not worth the compassion or the understanding of someone who has traveled so many trails.

While not be able to join, I provided my services and aid to everyone I was capable of interacting with. Some of you trusted me to do so. Some of you asked for my aid and found that those calls were not left unanswered. Some of you have used my home for protection, my sword for vengeance, and my guile to keep you safe in the heat of battle. I am an honorabl man who has kept his word and his oath to a great many people. If I have ill words to speak against you, you had best know that I do not need to hide those words from you... I will speak my mind against you in public and with honesty.

Do not mistake rumor with action. One is fleeting. One is not.

This evening I dreamt of the chicken and the egg. My grandfather once said that the nest of all things is stricken with quiet stance. When shook it appears that the very quary that you seek to find there is gone. Thus you must wait much like the fox and settle for when only when your instincts tell you that things are just right. This is when the fox knows he will have food in his belly.

I then dreamt of the serpant and the scorpion, the friends of the desert lands who call each other as ally when they look toward one another- yet as enemies ready to coil and strike when the shadows are at their back. This is how they trust one another, not through friendship but through thier nature.

Then I found myself watching the wisdom of the elephant and spider. One powerful enough to smash the other beneath the surface of the living yet the other one small enough to hide where great forces dare not go. Within a web of life, the elephant needs to maintain it's stance rather than unbalance itself worrying about things too small to truly bother it.

I thought these dreams odd. I feel like a fox waiting, a snake coiled, and a spider encroached. Yet I also feel the wisdom of the hen, the stance of the scorpion, and the stability of the elephant.

In all things duality is assured. Hence words lead to both peace and destruction, both wisdom and deciet.

I am ready. I welcome the darkness again and with it the light.

The question being- is the person within these dreams showing such duality to me?

~Balryn

Back