Mystic Wood Elf - Finding horns and ears?

Fynwei

Squire
Does anyone know of a good quality site to find the subject mentioned? I've been searching around a little and haven't had much luck on either.

Heres some information I was able to mine for you from the old boards.

Horns
http://www.pansdevilhorns.com/

Another option is to try and make your own. For lightweight but easilly moldable materials, try sculpy, femo, or (my personal favorite) any form of epoxy-sculpt. A readilly available and easilly worked alternative is Green Stuff (of whatever brand name), which can be found in most hobby/game stores. Regardless of the material used, build it up in stages, starting with small cones and adding material after the current base has dried. You'll need to be careful when drilling the small hole for your tie (if you go that route) or build the core around the tie to prevent flaking around the edges when you drill.

Ears
http://www.screamteam.com/newpage/eartips.htm
http://www.hightowercrafts.com/page33.html

Hopefully that helps, I'm not sure but maybe check off-topic, spencer gift type stores I could see stocking these types of items, I mean kids these days will wear anything if it makes em look like a rebel right?.... :mrgreen:

and if that doesn't work for you
party city does the ears, as do most costume shops

as for the horns I always have luck at ren faires

Okay, so I feel a little silly about never thinking of this before, but I finally just MADE myself horns so I could give my friend back his.

Really cheap, really easy to make, and not too bad looking for a first pair.

Playdough!

Because that stuff takes a while to dry, I was able to spend a long time shaping them to be what I wanted, then just sat them on a shelf for three days to dry, painted them with acrylics, put a water sealant over that, and voila! Cost me probably $3.

I've done some tests on dropping them, so far wood flooring hasn't chipped them, and playdough seems to have be not very brittle, so I'm just waiting to test them out at the next event!

That's cool. I'll just stick to my spirit gum ones though. You youngin's and yer tied on horns... why, back in my day.... ;)

I can vouch for Pan's House of Horns (pansdevilhorns). Run by a friend of mine, they're good quality, durable, and look gorgeous. Good selection, too.

Recommended. I've been tempted to play a MWE just so's I can wear mine. :)

ChrisO

I really liked the Puck ones from that site, it's just too far out of my price range atm (starving myself so I can afford college next year)

The emphasis on my experiment with playdough was that it was a good, cheap way to get starter horns quickly.

I make my own horns out of sculpey (a small package costs about $3) and then once they are baked I hollow the inside out with a dremel tool. That way they are light enough to be spirit gummed on, but still hard - I originally did it because I am allergic to latex but I still wanted horns that could be put on with spirit gum, but it works really well as long as you don't go around head-butting people =P

A friend just showed me some new 'ultralight' sculpty horns he made. Apparently Sculpty makes an 'ultra light' version of their clay and when baked, these things had the weight of styrofoam but were still very solid.

KaiLan said:
I make my own horns out of sculpey (a small package costs about $3) and then once they are baked I hollow the inside out with a dremel tool. That way they are light enough to be spirit gummed on, but still hard - I originally did it because I am allergic to latex but I still wanted horns that could be put on with spirit gum, but it works really well as long as you don't go around head-butting people =P

Oooh! Doesn't that hurt coming off?

Wilde_Night said:
That's cool. I'll just stick to my spirit gum ones though. You youngin's and yer tied on horns... why, back in my day.... ;)

Hey, I actually have mine epoxied to a leather backer then sewn into my hat so as to have something comfortable against my forehead all event, plust a bit of padding for the occasional headshot.

Back