Names?

The best names in my opinion give the right feel for your character, but are not too hard to pronouce or remember. Some people come up with these crazy names and no one ever remember or says their name because of it....

I'm pretty sure I got told last event that the Cinnabon were created in order to defeat the Italians.

If people use a name enough, though, they'll remember it.

I would agree that the ones that make sense are the best. Often a name will come to you if you think long enough. An interesting thing for 'kin names is to look up the Latin names on wikipedia. For example, my tarantula-kin is named Theraphosidae, with refers to 'large hairy spiders"(tarantulas).

I recommend throwing your name at some translators and seeing what you get though. Sometimes a perfectly innocent name can fit in odd ways.

When trying to create a name I normally just start making sounds until something that could be a name is made. Then, I decide if the name sounds like a good name in general. Then I think about whether or not the name fits the character I am making.

In this process I have, on occasion, created names that happen to be the same as a character from a fantasy novel that I haven't read ... but at least I can claim ignorance, then. :)

I just use a baby name website and look at the kind of culture my character would be coming from in game. My hobling is from a "western" culture, and dresses in Celtic clothing, so I figured I'd look into Gaelic names. I found one that felt right to me and went with it. The last name was a variant of one of the names on the list, so again, I went with what felt right to me. So yeah, baby name databases are a good place to look if you're stuck on names.

I've always named characters by their characteristics. I use a character in another game I play named Alivah. Which the English meaning means "Elf Army". She's an elf and a daughter of a general so I thought that was the best name for her.

I do silly little things like that to figure out names for the most part.

Obscure references to beloved books. That's how I got mine. Hmmm, tertiary character from a character-ridden fantasy series who is a gypsy and a fortune-teller? Totally mine now. :D

I came up with a great historical name. Tiberius. Then.... the other night I was watching the new star trek movie and kirks middle name was!!!!!!! F*ing Tiberius.... you know what. I'm going with it anyways. Tiberius was a great roman emperor before he laid green chicks.

Back