National Event

jpariury said:
Creepshow said:
National Event Update
I think my biggest question is what differentiates the National Event/Plotline/etc. from simply being its own chapter?

Don't get me wrong, the words "National Event" stir the blood and sound cool as hell. I'm not saying "God, this is gonna be lame" or "No WC love, wot?" or anything silly or discouraging like that. But given that it is it's own contained campaign, so to speak, it sounds more like "New chapter" than "National event". The idea of "if your local chapter is willing, you may see some effects from this" doesn't really have the same feel either, since chapters always have the option of running a cross-chapter effect.

Its no its own chapter....its the HQ chapter running a national event. "New continent" not new campaign/new chapter.
It is a great way to show players that haven't played a chapter how it runs things. Instead of stories of great weekends the chapter has, people can actuauly see/play it.

HQ is not running the event. It is Alliance sponsored and run. Every chapter has been invited to participate on the Alliance Plot Committee and help run the event. Not every chapter has taken up the invitation due to various, valid reasons. But there are more than just east coast chapters participating (and in fact, some east coast chapters are not participating).

HQ is hosting the event, which means their props and site will be available and used for the event. But that's a far cry different than running it. In fact, the only HQ staff working on the event is me, and I'm working more as an advisor and to make sure the logistics of the site run smoothly.

The goal is to truly have a national event, written and run by the Alliance, not just one chapter. That of course, takes participation. While not 100% for this first one, participation so far is decent. We hope participation will grow each year.

More detail from John Finnegan as things develop.

Scott

I guess in my fantasyland, a national event would involve a bad guy or team of bad guys (played all by one set of NPCs... maybe even a group of Good Guys chasing them down as well) traveling to a series of individual chapters, running an event in different campaigns, then "misting out" at the end, all culminating into a big "Secret Wars"-type epic event. Players of those individual chapter events would have information directly garnered from the presence of the Big Bad Guy(s), and be able to bring something to the party, so to speak.

It sounds like that is somewhat similar to what is actually going to occur... I'm just always pushing to bring it one step further. :) I understand when financial realities get in the way.

I have to say I do think it would be pretty sweet if all of the chapters that are contributing to the national event threw out some plot hooks that culminated at that event! :)

jpariury said:
I guess in my fantasyland, a national event would involve a bad guy or team of bad guys (played all by one set of NPCs... maybe even a group of Good Guys chasing them down as well) traveling to a series of individual chapters, running an event in different campaigns, then "misting out" at the end, all culminating into a big "Secret Wars"-type epic event. Players of those individual chapter events would have information directly garnered from the presence of the Big Bad Guy(s), and be able to bring something to the party, so to speak.

It sounds like that is somewhat similar to what is actually going to occur... I'm just always pushing to bring it one step further. :) I understand when financial realities get in the way.

JP... that would completely rock.

jpariury said:

That would be a lot of fun. Maybe we'll get to that point eventually. We need to keep engendering inter-chapter participation and cooperation to achieve something like that. Baby steps.

Scott

Who is on the Alliance Plot Committee?

Back