NERO Seattle Weapon Construction - Ultra light swords

I do not have a NERO handbook myself and am curious as to the specifications/construction of an ultra-light weapon. Are they slightly different in rule construction or are they the same? And if not the same an explanation would be lovely and much appreciated. Thank you.

~Lhrayven Glacerwind

Lhrayven Glacierwind said:
I do not have a NERO handbook myself and am curious as to the specifications/construction of an ultra-light weapon. Are they slightly different in rule construction or are they the same? And if not the same an explanation would be lovely and much appreciated. Thank you.

~Lhrayven Glacerwind
Size and shape and other like restrictions (thickness,tips, that sort of thing) are all the time. Ultra-light mostly just refers to the core, often kitespar but sometimes bamboo. But even a weapon with these cores needs to match the rulebook in every other way. (and expect the bamboo one to be very tested as some people dont trust them.)

IME, bamboo is also not really considered 'ultra-light' anymore. It is also not allowed as a core in some chapters, but unless you plan on doing a lot of traveling to the east, don't worry about that.

All weapons must comply to the same standards regardless of their weight.

jpariury said:
Many ultra lights use either cloth blade covers or rip-stop tape, as well. A few on the EC I have seen use minimal rip-stop tape and a very thin layer of latex.
Are latex weapons approved in Seattle? I know Mr Gregory had been testing out a few varients for a while... did anything ever come of that? I'd love to be able to go back to creating some neat looking phys reps with latex.

~B

Basically the only ones that have been getting approved are homemade ones that are built just like any other boffer but instead of tape/cloth cover it's got a coating of latex on it. Some of them are pretty darn cool looking too. Talk to Bryan, AFAIK he's the one getting the most approved. Marc has made one or two for Oregon as well.

Most latex weapons that have been disallowed are those who fail to meet the minimum NERO Alliance specs (2" thrusting tip and waylay tip with speedy re-inflation, 5/8" foam wall), have bad texturing jobs on them (too rough a feel), or ended up too heavy.

The other problem I have seen is that really cool-looking jobs are a pain in the tuchas to repair.

jpariury said:
Most latex weapons that have been disallowed are those who fail to meet the minimum NERO Alliance specs (2" thrusting tip and waylay tip with speedy re-inflation, 5/8" foam wall), have bad texturing jobs on them (too rough a feel), or ended up too heavy.

The other problem I have seen is that really cool-looking jobs are a pain in the tuchas to repair.

In general latex weapons purchased from an online store are denied for the above stated reasons. It is not the latex that makes them illegal but simply the construction. Using latex as a sealent probably makes for a sturdier weapon than most cloth and tape covers. However the weapons still need to fit all dimentions listed in the rule book.
For those looking into ultralight weapons I suggest using kitespar. A good place to purchase it is at Gas Works Kite Shop in the Freemont District in seattle. My personal suggestion is for the big stuff (i think it's .850) because it creates a good sized thick core weapon.

Marc

i know some people that use titanium gulf clubs and they are ultra light

Titanium, golf club or not, is not a legal weapon building material. The only time metal may ever be used is on two handed weapons, and then only aluminum. I have never seen this done properly, so in general, avoid using metal at any time.

Back