New 1st level celestial spell

Kauss

Fighter
Ok taking a page from jeff, here is one that I think would be nice, but I suspect will be shot down.

(BTW this would make celestial casters easyer to use, but be almost useless in PVP combat)

Resist request

celestial only

level 1

This spell allows the caster to cause the target to use a resist magic, if the target does not have a resist magic the spell has no effect. Note bane and cloak and spellshield and reflect would act as they normaly do, this would only effect the ability resist magic.

Kauss said:
Ok taking a page from jeff, here is one that I think would be nice, but I suspect will be shot down.

(BTW this would make celestial casters easyer to use, but be almost useless in PVP combat)

Resist request

celestial only

level 1

This spell allows the caster to cause the target to use a resist magic, if the target does not have a resist magic the spell has no effect. Note bane and cloak and spellshield and reflect would act as they normaly do, this would only effect the ability resist magic.

I'mma go with No. Primarily because it would encourage targetting delfs. Which should probably happen, but preferably not with a tailored spell.

I see the intent and approve, but I'm not sure it has a chance. Resist Magic is far overused on NPCs, and it would be nice to have a way to defeat it that didn't involve blowing a high-level spell.

[EDIT: On that note: Hey monster camp! You have access to an ability called "magic shield" for NPCs, which is kind of like a resist but dumb (has to be used on the first spell(s) to hit). Please use this more and use Resist Magic less!]

Yeah, ditto on the statements made. I know the idea was to cycle monster resists but it definitely would pick on the delfs.

On the other thing about overuse of resist on monsters, I agree and would rather see a monster with 3x resist magic instead have, say, 1xcloak binding, 1xcloak gift, 1xcloak evocation, or some combo like that. Spellcrafted cloaks are our friends. I know it's a little more work, but it would also add to the feeling of the monsters worked a little harder to prep for combat than just having them have blind stats that make them tough. 2 cents deposited.

As I said, I knew it would be shot down. What I would rather have is a reduction in resistances VS magic on monsters. I mean I ran fell stuff, a race resistant to magic, and I still had less resists than many things in the data base.

BTW yes you could use this on PC dark elves. Who would have one resist at the most, and if your going to go after dark elves the presence of this spell isnt going to make any diffrence:). PCs resistances to magic is much lower than mosters most of the time, and only one can be a resist magic.

It's true, and those are good points, but the impression may be given that the spell is intended to target dark elf PCs, cheapening their one cool racial feature.

Maxondaerth said:
It's true, and those are good points, but the impression may be given that the spell is intended to target dark elf PCs, cheapening their one cool racial feature.

It could be seen as a spell intended against folks who only want to put "Resist Magic x9" on monster cards, with a side usage to easily counter DE's single Resist Magic. But I really don't like spells intended on PvP primarily, especially against he whopping one race (Or two.. if someone got a scavenger past with it) that has the ability... once a day, at most.

Especially as a first level spell, why not spend 1-2 build to neutralize a DE's Resist Magic? If it went in, its an easy decision to make, especially for characters that are against them already.

Back