New Acarthia Town Guard hiring scouts for unusual activity in Howling Woods

Traceroo

Rogue
My name is Jane. I’m a scout with the Town Guard at Watchtower Integrity on the western side of New Acarthia. We’re the furthest west of all the watchtowers for the city. I want to let local adventures know that we’ve seen some strange movement in the Howling Woods in the past few nights. From Watchtower Integrity, we see signs of large numbers of monsters in the Woods moving to the same place in there. Their apparent destination is well inside the treeline, and it looks like the monsters are moving farther into the Woods, not toward New Acarthia, but… we see smoke from a lot of fires, and game has been disturbed on that side. The monsters aren’t trying to cover their tracks at all. A lot of somethings are moving around in there, and they don’t seem to care that we see it.

The Town Guard is hiring extra trackers, scouts, woodsmen, rangers. If you’re trained and available this week in New Acarthia, report to your nearest Town Guard outpost.

[OOG: Posted for Acarthia Plot with express permission from Jesse. If you have a Craftsman skill anything like the above description, and you would like to use your October-November BGA to scout for the New Acarthia Town Guard at the outskirts of the Howling Woods, please email plot@alliancedenver.com with the subject line, “BGA: Scouting Howling Woods”. The deadline for BGAs is midnight, Saturday, November 5, 2016.]

I am Tristan a scout from the Singed Desert. I am very good at moving through the woods without being detected. I would be available to help go see what is happening in the Howling Woods.

I am Valdyr Stormfang of Yalinth. I am willing to use my skill and knowledge of these woods to find out what I can before I return to Yalinth.

G'day Jane,

My name is Wilton Buckfoot and while I'm new to town, I am pretty decent at spotting stuff in the woods. I'd be happy to help out the town guard and scout around the town as well.

Many thanks,

Wilton

M'lord Tristan, Valdyr Stormfang, Wilton Buckfoot, the Town Guard is much obliged to you and the other trackers that have answered our call; we need all the eyes and ears we can get out here in the west right now!

We've got more news to share with New Acarthia. Last night, Tuesday, looks like there was a BIG gathering inside the Howling Woods within sight of Watchtower Integrity on the western side of New Acarthia. We’ve seen more signs of monsters moving toward the same location for about a week now. Our scouts are still reporting into Watchtower Integrity, so we're still trying to piece together what's going on. Adventurers like them might know more. So far, it seems like there were big numbers of monsters all there in the same place, and it might have been in the hundreds, and surely consisted of several tribes – and all kinds of monsters, too, not just the ogres or JUST the orcs or something. Last night, we saw the glow of many fires, and we could hear the distant roar of drums and cheers from in there. No signs of any monsters coming out of the Howling Woods, or toward the city. The Town Guard doesn’t think this was a prelude to an immediate attack. There was some kind of big gathering of monsters in there, though, and we don’t know why.

This morning, Watchtower Integrity and Watchtower Victory report that it looks like the gathering is breaking up, and the monsters are starting to disperse back into the Howling Woods. Be careful out there.

Jane
New Acarthia Town Guard at
Watchtower Integrity

[OOG: Posted for Acarthia Plot with permission.]

Shortly before sunset last night, a mixed band of orcs, ogres, and even a couple of goblins made a foray toward Watchtower Victory. This tribe displayed matching warpaint and other signs that don’t match the markings of any known tribes. The Town Guard has ruled out attack by Dargok’s Chosen, the Skullhammer, and Thunderfist tribes of ogres, and the Tribe of Thou goblins. This group was something new. Watchtower Victory rebuffed the light skirmish without major damage, but the attackers left a message. One of their archers stuck a note to an arrow and shot it into the side of the watchtower. We think it’s supposed to say:

“Rakslash will burn Acarthian houses. Rakslash will rule the Howling Woods. Surrender Acarthians.”

The attack retreated as soon as they delivered their message. Town Guard scouts could follow the tracks back only so far into the Howling Woods, but Town Guard scouts think this Rakslash Tribe as we’re calling them came from that big monster gathering we saw last Tuesday night.

Be careful, and if any adventures see anything weird out there, alert the nearest Town Guard post.

Jane
Watchtower Integrity

This is probably the last alert I'll send out to adventurers before they begin their guild meetings and things in New Acarthia tomorrow. Right now, the New Acarthia Town Guard has no reason to suspect any major monster attack, or unusual numbers of monsters bothering New Acarthia during court. Should be business as usual. Our watchtowers have seen the last of that big gathering in the Howling Woods disperse, and it looks like they all went back to where they came from inside the Howling Woods.

In addition to the attack on Watchtower Victory by what we’re now calling the Rakslash Tribe, we got one more noticeably unusual report that we want to share with adventurers. Earlier this morning, in broad daylight, a guarded merchant wagon was attacked by gnolls. The merchants were inside New Acarthia this time. The attack was by all gnolls, not different kinds of monsters like the Rakslash Tribe. They also left a note when the merchants were all knocked out or chased off. The gnolls scratched into the dirt in front of the wagon:

“DELO WIN”

There was a rune or symbol next to it, and the merchant guards say that matches something stitched into a few of the gnoll tabards.

Be careful, and if any adventures witness monster tribes leaving more notes, alert the nearest Town Guard post.

Jane
Watchtower Integrity

Back