New Materials Research

Cedric

Rogue
Marshal
Good morning Acarthians,

As you know, many new materials have been showing up in New Acarthia over the spring. I know that many of them were collected this past weekend. I'd like to coordinate our information on which ones we have seen, and what information we have on them. I know that many of them seem like they can be used in different crafting processes so I thought that it might be useful to start testing these out next month.

First, of all, if you have any information on these, can you please share it here? Name, what it could be used for, and any general information regarding it?

What Kendrick has on hand to test with:
Magnesium x2, Sareanthen Silk, Ignium Salts x2, Willowbark, Eska Fruit, Bog Iron, Allum x 2, Sea Elf Kelp.

Apopheosis
Material - Liquid
Used with formal magic - Works as though the formalist has an assistant. (+1 formal rank)
Used with potion making - XX
Notes from Kendrick "Aphpheosis is fey water that seeped between cracks in the planes. It can be used for high magic/formal magic as well as possibly other uses."

Notes from Professor Armitage - "A clear, oil-like liquid that spring directly from the ground itself, seems to be sought after by Fae for unknown reasons. Known to alter Formal Magic, but unclear how. In addition, we have various experiments relating to the study of Alchemy and Potions that seem to indicate that this substance might react positively there, more research is necessary. Our sample derives from the mountains of Yalinth, but more springs are appearing across the lands.

Who has - Not posted due to danger.

Magnesium
Material - Ore
Notes from Kendrick - "A soft shiny, grey, metallic substance."

Who has - Kendrick

Shard Dust
Material - Ore/Dust
Notes from Percy "I also came into possession of a small amount of Shard Dust, while I'm unsure of its exact purpose the name could suggest a relationship to the lesser forms of Elementals. This is unsubstantiated but still worth mentioning."

Notes from Professor Armitage - "I was recently made aware of this substance during the meeting, and known nothing further other than it's physical descriptions of a fine iridescent powder. The current rumor is that it relates somehow to the Fallen Star, but is unsubstantiated."

Who has - Percy

Argenite
Material - Ore
Used with Blacksmithing - Silvers the weapon (per Radulfur)
Notes from Ark "Argenite can make a silver weapon of sorts. I came across and manage to mine a piece."

Notes from Professor Armitage - "A recent discovery by several groundworkers, this gray metallic ore seems to react with weapons grade steel in a most odd manner - suggest further inquiry with a Blacksmith. Given its subterranean nature, this could be found quite likely anywhere."

Notes from Brannan - "And Brannan informs you that he has commissioned the master blacksmith from Tiatar to try and do something with the Argenite. It IS metal and does have some magical properties, and Puck may know more about it, too."

Notes from Radulfur - "When one was used when making a weapon, it came out silvered."

Who Has - Banks, Brannan (testing), Kendrick

Eska Fruit
Material - Organic
Notes from Percy "I have and will continue to do research on Eska fruit. Eska fruit seem to be found throughout the Howling Woods, and rumor has it are capable of an extremely potent intoxicating effect. However, I urge Acarthians to hold off consuming or fermenting them for private use just yet. The Eska Fruit is used by the various Hobgoblin tribes of the Howling Woods to control the Thunderlizards that we saw in April's gather during the attack on the dam. I worry that consuming the fruit could potentially attract the lizards, and I'm sure many can attest that having a Thunderlizard interested in you is bad news indeed. I will be continuing my research on the plants (I've yet to open them to see if they carry seeds like most fruit for fear of attraction) and will continue updating my research here." "Hobgoblins seem to ferment the Eska fruit for private usage and for the control of Thunderlizards. They protect their stock heavily and seem less than willing to share."

Notes from Professor Armitage - "Known to be a colorful fruit, with an intoxicating scent, consuming the fruit itself is known to adversely affect cognition for a short duration. Rumor has it that trees tainted by the fae might be involved, tread carefully."

Who has - Percy, Lagarde, Kendrick

Bog Iron
Material - Ore
Used with Blacksmithing - Strengthens the weapon (Zak)

Notes from Professor Armitage - "A traditional export of Rivervale, Bog Iron is difficult to produce in any real quantity, as the process is slow and requires a certain land type that is difficult to manage, but the blacksmiths of the area swear by its mechanical properties during the construction of weapons and armor."

Notes from the Scions - "When used in Blacksmithing, it strengthed the item."

Who has - Kendrick

Ignium Salts
Material -
Notes from Professor Armitage - "Originally confused with Pyrotis, these mineral salts hail from the hills of Lomeeria, and are difficult to interact with in even the most exacting of situations. Our researcher whom deals with explosives described this substance as "exciting", which was the last I wished to hear of it, research will continue far away from my office."

Who has - Kendrick

Allum
Material - Parchement
Used with Scrollmaking - Doubles the batch (Zak)

Notes from Kendrick - "This vellum is of unparalleled quality, smooth and silky to the touch, yet thin and light.”"

Who has - Kendrick

Thornberry
Material - Berry
Notes from Professor Armitage - "A green berry with a moss-like covering pulled from rather sharp bramble patches. The berries themselves seem to exude an astringent odor. I am forwarding a sample to out alchemists and potion-makers to see if anything of value can be ascertained. Our sample was found not far from New Acarthia, but it may have a wider range."

Notes from Panax - "I have managed to gather quite a few thornberries, and though they were originally obtained with the intent to fashion fetishes for the ratcanthropy-infected to wear, the blue- glasses fae suggested they might be put to better use in crafting purify elixirs. Instead, he suggested seeking a flower with the name Algernon... Which we have not yet found evidence actually exists. "

Who has - Panax

Sareathen Silk
Material - Cloth?
Notes from Professor Armitage - " I was given a sample of this substance, which appears to be the fine silk of a rather large spider native to the Duchy of Acarthia, and the Howling Woods. The quality is excellent, and would make for a most fetching thread, but I suspect it's more valuable properties are yet untapped. I will designate a student to acquiring more and running test"

Who has - Kendrick

Blood Leech Bile
Material - Organic
Notes from Professor Armitage - "The Blood Leeches of Warchester are the source of this vile and viscous liquid, through harvesting it might be a task unto it's own, the properties of the liquid itself are apparent immediately: merely touching the liquid causes intense discomfort, and even previously closed wounds weep freely. Our resident alchemist seemed most interested in these properties, unsurprisingly."

Who has - ?

Shang Root
Material - Herb
Notes from Professor Armitage - "This fern like plant grows near rivers in the northern portion of the Duchy of Acarthia, particularly in an estate known as Forest Watch. Recent advances in materials research suggest that there may be truth to the long held "common lore" that Shang Root usage is advantageous to curative salves and potions."

Notes from Kendrick - "
You are able to find information here and there on various resources that are showing up seems some people have been using these resources in Acarthia for some time but common usage is only beginning to become popular. Shang root in particular is among the more miraculous of these. after speaking with several alchemists and potion makers local to Acarthia you are able to decern that of it most common uses include distillation into the primary parts of Healing potions and Cure Damage Elixers. Halving the cost of the production. This is a common practice by major suppliers and is the reason for the standard of pricing in Acarthia at current. There are no known applications of shangroot directly in Necromantic practices or production that you are able to find. However you are able to uncover mention of various ancient rites that utilize the freshly harvested plant for the making of ritual paints though the specifics are not mentioned."

Who has - Kendrick

Basil
Material - Herb
Notes from Kendrick - "A green leafy plant."

Who has - Banks, Peat

Orichalcum
Material - XX
Notes from Kendrick - XX

Who has - XX

Sea Elf Kelp
Material - Plant
Notes from Kendrick - "You are told that there is a kelp grown under the waters near Bayena that allows the crafting of scrolls that can be read in the dark. "

Who has - Kendrick

Elythium
Material - Berries/plant
Notes from Peat Moss: "You are able to deduce after some time that through the art of potion making a person could likely reproduce the effect of a cure disease potion from the small berries. Though no direct use is evident for alchemy as of yet you believe that this herb could be useful in concocting several curatives if mixed with other such resources."

Algernon
Material - Plant
Notes from Kendrick - "Small plant that lives in a deep cave? Used to make a fetish to ward off Lycanthropy."

Notes from Demvarien - "As algernon has been mentioned, it does in fact exist. It was found by a few adventurers in the deepest, darkest cave; it's a black flower with purple, crystallized dew. The Healer's Guild is currently using algernon to develop a cure for the wererat plague. Any samples anyone has should be turned over to them."

Notes from Kendrick - "The flower Algernon is able to produce a concentrated due that temporarily acts as a death poison while still fresh. It is used by some alchemists in the making of cause serious damage potions."

By my hand,
Squire Kendrick Eisenhal of Rivervale

Last edited:
Kendrick,

I have and will continue to do research on Eska fruit. Eska fruit seem to be found throughout the Howling Woods, and rumor has it are capable of an extremely potent intoxicating effect. However, I urge Acarthians to hold off consuming or fermenting them for private use just yet. The Eska Fruit is used by the various Hobgoblin tribes of the Howling Woods to control the Thunderlizards that we saw in April's gather during the attack on the dam. I worry that consuming the fruit could potentially attract the lizards, and I'm sure many can attest that having a Thunderlizard interested in you is bad news indeed. I will be continuing my research on the plants (I've yet to open them to see if they carry seeds like most fruit for fear of attraction) and will continue updating my research here.
I ask that people take caution while handling the fruit, and if you are in possession of them to try and steer clear of letting Hobgoblins know of it.

I also came into possession of a small amount of Shard Dust, while I'm unsure of its exact purpose the name could suggest a relationship to the lesser forms of Elementals. This is unsubstantiated but still worth mentioning

Percy,
Acarthian Rider

Thank you Percy for your update. I have added your notes to my ledger.

Squire Kendrick Eisenhal and to all,

In addition to Bog Iron and Magnesium which you mention above. Treasure Bag still has in it possession some Ignium Salts and Allum as well if you or anybody else is interested.

I hope this helps.
~Goodman Belswin Torrid

Last edited:
I will purchase any remaining of these ingredients for testing purposes.

Squire Kendrick

I have managed to gather quite a few thornberries, and though they were originally obtained with the intent to fashion fetishes for the ratcanthropy-infected to wear, the blue- glasses fae suggested they might be put to better use in crafting purify elixirs. Instead, he suggested seeking a flower with the name Algernon... Which we have not yet found evidence actually exists.

I have a theory that if I combine these new elements with sufficient Feyander, we should be able to acquire significant benefits!

-Panax Thistleburr; minister of natural resources to the Baron of Rivervale; Senior guildsperson to the merchant's guild and Apprentice of the healers guild.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Thank you Panax. Were Thornberries the only substance gathered by you this past gather?

Kendrick

Percy you had better not use all that Eska fruit for anything other than a giant barrel of booze, thunderlizards be damned.

Dearest Thorgrim,
I would never be so cruel as to deprive you of a new way to get yourself killed. Speak to me in July and maybe we can pass some fruits off to your vintner friends.

Brannan, I suspect you were referring to myself, Radulfr, regarding crafting an item with the Argenite. I mention this as
Tiatar has two Master Blacksmiths. Mayhap we should discuss what you would like made so I can be sure it is completed.
Please be sure to have the materials to me before the weekend so I have time to work it properly. I want to honor my
commitments, but I also have a large order from my house that will be taking most of my materials.

I'll be working on updating my notes on this here this week and sending them off to Professor Armitage later this week. If anyone found any new materials or did any research, please let me know so I can update them.

By my hand,

Squire Kendrick of Rivervale.

Notes for myself...
Jax - Has Willowbark
Peat - Has Willowbark, Shang Root, Basil, Thornberry

A brief update,

Hobgoblins seem to ferment the Eska fruit for private usage and for the control of Thunderlizards. They protect their stock heavily and seem less than willing to share.

Kendrick,

Do you have any Bog Iron to spare or any of the new metals? ~Bel

Last edited:
Belswin - I have one Bog Iron and two Magnesiums.

Kendrick,

As algernon has been mentioned, it does in fact exist. It was found by a few adventurers in the deepest, darkest cave; it's a black flower with purple, crystallized dew. Algernon is LETHALLY POISONOUS and not to be disturbed without proper protection in place. The Healer's Guild is currently using algernon to develop a cure for the wererat plague. Any samples anyone has should be turned over to them.

-- Demvarien

Thank you Dem. I've added your notes to mine.

By my hand,
Squire Kendrick

Percy,

If you can find the location of one of these heavily guarded hobgoblin Eska fruit stores I am willing to embark on an expedition to rid them of it.

If Thorgrim is unavailable for some reason, I would certainly be happy to help deal with the Eska fruit, as well.

Back