New Player Build Advice

Rob Krol

So I will be coming in to the long weekend event as a new player as a brand new 39 point build fighter.

I'm still learning the system and am wondering if anyone has any build advice for me?

I'm specifically looking to use 2 handed swords if that helps.

Blacksmith for 3pts is very useful.
2h Edge.
Get 2 profs for 21 build
You'd be swinging 6s with a 2h which isn't bad at all.

Rest for Parrys or anything you'd like to dabble in.

Blacksmith for 3pts is very useful.
2h Edge.
Get 2 profs for 21 build
You'd be swinging 6s with a 2h which isn't bad at all.

Rest for Parrys or anything you'd like to dabble in.

I had already planned on taking Blacksmith, if only so I can refit my armor post combat.

Is Hardy Worth it? I thought maybe the extra body points would be useful as a newbie?

Hardy is great but situational I think. My fighter PC will be maxing out hardy (1 per level) which leaves him really short on other skills but makes him really tough hit point wise. But I think a fighter can easily not take any ranks. I know that answer may not help much though.

I might take a hardy, since it looks like parries are a one and done if I read that right, though I read you could get them back via meditate, but I didn't see a xp cost for meditate. . .

All players have meditate but it takes 10 minutes. If you take Enhanced Meditate it becomes quicker. Theoretically you can not miss a Parry thus you will not use mediate it back.

But yes parry is a 1/day per purchase skill and thus will run out.

Ok, so going by prior comments I'm thinking:

2 handed Edged
Critical Strike x5
Weapon Proficiency x2
Parry x1
Slay x1
Repel Strike x1
Blacksmithing x1

Something like that maybe?

When you purchase weapon profs, they use up the critical attacks. So you wouldn't have them anymore to use. But other than that it looks pretty solid. Repel strike is great for getting that one baddy away from you when they are getting annoying.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

One subtle piece of advice - figure out good armor. Healing will take finding a healer, and if things get tight they'll be trying to save it to rescue down people. But armor is repairable for free with blacksmith, so "living in your armor" is a good strategy - by which I mean, refit your armor before you start taking body damage when possible. If you can manage physreps for the full 35 your class allows, it'll serve you well. (Also make sure you are looking at the 2.0 armor guides, not the 1.3 rulebook -- its way easier to get to 35 armor in 2.0.)

One subtle piece of advice - figure out good armor. Healing will take finding a healer, and if things get tight they'll be trying to save it to rescue down people. But armor is repairable for free with blacksmith, so "living in your armor" is a good strategy - by which I mean, refit your armor before you start taking body damage when possible. If you can manage physreps for the full 35 your class allows, it'll serve you well. (Also make sure you are looking at the 2.0 armor guides, not the 1.3 rulebook -- its way easier to get to 35 armor in 2.0.)

I'm wearing Real Brigandine with real Padded Leather Greaves and Bracers so bonus armor potential is there

Any advice on armor is appreciated

As a 2-H fighter, repel strike is overrated in my opinion. Get resolute instead since it sounds like you're going to have an armor rep with solid value. It is HUGELY advantageous to get nailed with an eviscerating blow or something for like "500 body", be able to call out "resolute", be at 1 health, and still have your beefy armor untouched.

As a 2-H fighter, repel strike is overrated in my opinion. Get resolute instead since it sounds like you're going to have an armor rep with solid value. It is HUGELY advantageous to get nailed with an eviscerating blow or something for like "500 body", be able to call out "resolute", be at 1 health, and still have your beefy armor untouched.

I didn't see that one. What are the pre-reqs and how much does it cost?

So have a spreadsheet I play around with armor calculations in. Its clearly not official, since its up to a marshal to determine armor points. And it assumes full mastercraft, which is far from guaranteed.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KCcnGn2MA3Pyw8ub8XcRmjdFH_GB_iXcbBVm5-0RCAg/edit?usp=sharing

But I'm guessing you are close to 35 armor at the moment, assuming the brigadine covers either the upper arm or the upper leg and the leather is thick enough to count as heavy leather.

It has tassets that cover the upper leg and pauldrons for the shoulders and upper arm.

Also it isn't just padded leather, its got 18 gauge steel plating as well. Hence Brigandine.

But it sounds like you have enough coverage and materials that you are probably at your armor cap with some wiggle room, which is a good place to be.

I didn't see that one. What are the pre-reqs and how much does it cost?

Repel is 2 XP per purchase with a 20 Martial XP prerequisite. Resolute is also a 2XP skill but with a 25XP prerequisite.

Not to counter ant previous statements but I really like Repel Strike as a two handed fighter. Resolute is also really good but only if you have a lot of them imo. More than anything I encourage you to try lots of things and see what you like.

Repel is 2 XP per purchase with a 20 Martial XP prerequisite. Resolute is also a 2XP skill but with a 25XP prerequisite.

Not to counter ant previous statements but I really like Repel Strike as a two handed fighter. Resolute is also really good but only if you have a lot of them imo. More than anything I encourage you to try lots of things and see what you like.

In that case I think I'll stick with what I have and buy resolutes later

Looking in the Book, it seems like its like parry, a one and done defense.

I hope I'm not going to be fighting anything that does 500 body damage at level 3. . .

Back