New Player Build Advice

Parry is indeed a 'one and done' defense but it is an excellent option for dealing with those devastating eviscerates.

Probably not, plot does a good job of scaling things to be appropriate for a given players level.

Parry is indeed a 'one and done' defense but it is an excellent option for dealing with those devastating eviscerates.

Probably not, plot does a good job of scaling things to be appropriate for a given players level.

I'm gonna stick with my 1 parry and my Repel Strike. If it comes down to it I can always use repel strike defensively to get a particularly bad enemy away from me

What's alliance Policy on shoes? Cause the Medieval boots I have have like zero arch support? Especially if I'm going to be running around bopping people with a boffer sword, I want to make sure I'm not gonna like roll my ankle or something. . .

What's alliance Policy on shoes? Cause the Medieval boots I have have like zero arch support? Especially if I'm going to be running around bopping people with a boffer sword, I want to make sure I'm not gonna like roll my ankle or something. . .

So always, safety first. Try to keep things looking reasonable - so preferably no fluorescent colors, obvious logos, etc. Part of why can you get the "in period" bonus for armor is to encourage looking in period. I don't know Chicago's local tendencies, but I've seen a lot of people wear combat boots and look completely reasonable, especially when the top is covered by pants/armor. No one is going to police you for wearing a shoe shape that wasn't introduced until the 17th century, even if the rest of your garb is appropriate for the 14th century.

After talking to the local new player Rep I've been convinced to be more well rounded in my build. This is what we came up with:

Blacksmith x2
First Aid
2 handed Sword
Weapon Prof x1
Hardy x1
Parry x1
Slay x2
Repel Strike x1

Thoughts?

May I ask why 2 ranks blacksmith? You only need 1 to refit your armor. And also how much armor do you plan to wear/rep. For a fighter standard base is 35. If you have anything repped more than that you will need ranks in wear extra armor.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

May I ask why 2 ranks blacksmith? You only need 1 to refit your armor. And also how much armor do you plan to wear/rep. For a fighter standard base is 35. If you have anything repped more than that you will need ranks in wear extra armor.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Its to get money from production and start me towards a long term goal of mastering Blacksmithing.

It also works with the backstory I concocted

As to wearing, repping Armor. I have a brigandine made with real padded leather and 18 gauge steel that covers most of my body including upper legs, groin, shoulders, and upper arms.

I have an 18 gauge steel spangenhelm with noseguard and cheekplates.

I also have padded leather Greaves over leather boots, and padded leather bracers.

Its all real stuff, not styrofoam, and period appropriate for the 14th century.

I should be at or near armor caps.

After talking to the local new player Rep I've been convinced to be more well rounded in my build. This is what we came up with:

Blacksmith x2
First Aid
2 handed Sword
Weapon Prof x1
Hardy x1
Parry x1
Slay x2
Repel Strike x1

Thoughts?
I would really consider your original build with 2 weapon profs if possible because the fact that you are using a 2 handed weapon profs give you 1.5 per and with 2 profs you get 3 extra points compared to only 1 with 1. I think also at least in my opinion swinging 6 consistently feels a lot better then 4 and then from here you can work your way into the other skills.

I would really consider your original build with 2 weapon profs if possible because the fact that you are using a 2 handed weapon profs give you 1.5 per and with 2 profs you get 3 extra points compared to only 1 with 1. I think also at least in my opinion swinging 6 consistently feels a lot better then 4 and then from here you can work your way into the other skills.

You sure? My new Player Rep seems to think that I'll need first aid and Hardy.

What about:

Blacksmith x1
First Aid
2 handed Edged
Weapon Proficiency x1
Critical Strike x2
Parry x2
Repel Strike x1
Slay x1
Wear extra armor x1

I nixed 10 points and respent on Critical Strikes, wear extra armor, and a Parry

This way I can still hit for 6 weapon, but get to keep first aid and a bit of tankiness with that extra parry and that wear extra armor

Someone please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but in 2.0 you need 30 build in martial skills to purchase slays and parry’s so it wouldn’t be possible with 39 build for you to get 2 parry’s or 2 slays and you would need to spend 30 before you could buy either a slay or a parry so the proposed build would not be possible.

Here is the link to the character building app if you do not have it already it well help make sure you build it in a valid way.
https://freeplay.alliancelarp.com

To clarify further I don’t think it’s possible for you to get a single slay or parry because with 39 build a 2 handed edge costs 8 weapon skills leaving you only 31 to spend and needing 30 purchased skills to get a single slay or a single parry.
Someone smarter then me please confirm or deny this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but in 2.0 you need 30 build in martial skills to purchase slays and parry’s so it wouldn’t be possible with 39 build for you to get 2 parry’s or 2 slays and you would need to spend 30 before you could buy either a slay or a parry so the proposed build would not be possible.

Here is the link to the character building app if you do not have it already it well help make sure you build it in a valid way.
https://freeplay.alliancelarp.com

Isnt all of the stuff I have except first aid Martial skills?

Ah, I see, it costs 30 for Each, right? Hang on let me rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is, but you need to hit 30xp before you can buy Slay and Parry. So with that 10 build you aren’t able to spend on those skills I’d put towards a 2nd weapon prof.

First Aid counts to scholar skills and 2hEdge counts to Weapon skill. So that’s 10 out of 39 not in martial.

Wpx2: 21
2h edge 8
BS 3
Repel Strike 2
Fa 2
WEAx3 (can wear 38pts)
39/39

That should help. I only suggest WEA over Hardy as it’s easier to refit and gain the benefits. It’s ultimately up to you, but after a few events you’ll be able to buy slays and parry’s, just not with 39xp to start.

It is, but you need to hit 30xp before you can buy Slay and Parry. So with that 10 build you aren’t able to spend on those skills I’d put towards a 2nd weapon prof.

First Aid counts to scholar skills and 2hEdge counts to Weapon skill. So that’s 10 out of 39 not in martial.

Wpx2: 21
2h edge 8
BS 3
Repel Strike 2
Fa 2
WEAx3 (can wear 38pts)
39/39

That should help. I only suggest WEA over Hardy as it’s easier to refit and gain the benefits. It’s ultimately up to you, but after a few events you’ll be able to buy slays and parry’s, just not with 39xp to start.

I'd take 2 of those WEA to put into Resolute since I'm rather light on defenses and you never know when a big attack that would otherwise kill you is coming.

I can do that, right?

Yeah, you can do that as you’d have 25xpprereq.

All in all, after your first game you get a rewrite. If you want to change things

Two-Handed Edged is a Weapon skill, not a Martial skill. So you don't have the xp to buy any slays or parrys... by the time you get to 30 spent in Martial, you would have spent at least 38 xp.

A lot of folx are recommending investing in getting Weapon Proficiency 2 early, because swinging 6's feels a lot better than swinging 4's. I suspect the new player rep wanted you to take First Aid so that you have more to do on the battlefield besides swinging a big stick. (And maybe refitting other folx' armor.) You can rebuild after your first event in any case, so keep that in mind if you're not entirely satisfied with things after event #1.

Re: Resolute, Plot does a solid job having a range of threats based on the PCs showing up to event but I've found plenty of combats where things go sideways and my journeyman fighter is out-powered by opponents. It's easy as a new player to find yourself all excited in the thick of battle and suddenly realize the NPC you're facing is swinging attacks a lot worse than what you want to face. There are attack carriers like Chaos that will ignore armor and deal damage straight to body. Getting nailed with an 8 Chaos or 10 Chaos as a new player in those situations isn't unheard of, and there's a good chance if things are really busy that your character will be running at 1 body and fighting within their armor points midway through event. Resolute can save you from a hit like that and let you pull back behind the big fighters.

As for Repel Strike, I don't hate it. I like it for dueling. But it's not great for my combat style because I'd rather be a polearm fighter as part of a coordinated line. Resolute is a more universal "oh crap" defense for me based on my play preferences. Fighting in 40-pt armor with a couple Resolutes at Chicago opener felt really, really nice.

But you'll have plenty of time to try out lots of things. I recommend focusing on having fun and trying as much as you can at your first event to see what you enjoy the most. :)

EDIT: Ninja'd by Lord Asher, story of my PC's life. :p Listen to Darkcrescent, that's a solid starting build for 39xp. With WEA x1 and Resolute x1 like you were thinking sounds even better, imo.

Last edited:
Back