New Player Inbound

Undrask

Scholar
Hello all! Recently my friend got me into Alliance LARP, and I am eating it UP. And, lucky for everyone, you're only 2.5 hours away for Pittsburgh. So unless (and probably even if) another chapter opens up closer, I'll be joining the adventurers of Barran!

I have a few questions, just to start off:

1: Does anybody drive from Pittsburgh? I'd love to carpool.

2: How exactly does one put forth a character proposal? I'll obviously be NPCing for a bit till I get the hang of it, but I've already brewed over what kind of character I wish to take part with. Is it just a matter of sending them to the Plot Committee?

3: Other than the extensive list you have running for the donations, food and other stuff, I'd love to help make some simple mechanical traps and locks. I do so love making traps, so if they're needed (or there's a vague excuse for the plot to use them) let me know. I do NOT plan on using my own traps for PC purposes (yet) so everything I'll make is going to be direct property of the Chapter so I won't be able to cheat and disarm my own traps!

4: How exactly to the 1 time ever LCO skill picks work? Do you have to meet the requirements for the skill, or can you just use a flat GS or pick cost to get them regardless of previously existing skills? Also, does the 1 time ever regard the USE of the skill or the PURCHASE of the skill? I'm assuming it's use, but hey.

5: I read that there was medical staff needed, so what are the requirements? I'm an EMT and Combat Medic and I would love to help.

All that said, I'm really, really excited to start. I've read the Players Guide, bought my race guide and read all of the stickies in the Gettysburg thread. Is there any other material that might make me a better/more helpful member of the community? Thanks guys!

PS: One more thing, how exactly is Barran pronounced?

Hi!

I'll try to answer your questions here:

1) I don't know that we have players coming from too far West just yet, but you'll definitely want to put up a car pool request towards the beginning of the 2013 season.

2) Your character proposal - send it to barranplot@gmail.com and barran.racialplot@gmail.com - that will get it to the plot comitee and one or both of those of us who manage those addresses will get back to you as quickly as possible.

3) You'll want to contact our owner directly about traps - he's quite a legerdemain-phile himself. He's Andros here, and I'll let him know to be looking for a post from you.

4) As is noted in several threads in the rules section of these boards, once-ever items, whether LCO or Restricted, are one USE ever.

5) I have no doubt medical assistance would be useful, and I'll advise our Head of Medical that you're asking so she can contact you.

As for your Race Packet - have you actually received the full packet, or just a short (2-3 page) teaser? I haven't sent many out recently, and as the one who usually emails them, I'm concerned that I might have missed you. I have a request pending for what I figure is probably your Player's Guide, so you should be receiving that soon. In order to receive your full race packet you'll need to make sure there's a character in our database by contacting barran.logistics@gmail.com and letting them know you want to start a character of whatever race, and that request will get forwarded along so we'll get you the packet.

Barran is pronounced (bah-RAN), but these things don't always translate well into text, so don't worry about it too much until you come to play with us.

Thanks!

David
Gettysburg Monster Desk and Plot Staff

Thank you very much for the fast turnaround! I'll send off my character proposal as soon as I feel like it's done.

I suppose I should send Andros a PM instead of trying to post an entire thread, yeah? Though I suppose I'll look around for a traps thread in the general discussion just jabber on a bit about them.

I've listed my email in my interests area so that medical or other staff can contact me.

Ok, I think I understand the race packet now. The Barran Player's Guide should be on the way, yes? And I suppose I'll have to email Logistics before I complete my character proposal.

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing you out there!

Hiyas!

So about medical. All I would need/like to have is a copy of any certs so that IF something were to happen we would be covered. If you bring a copy to opener and try and find me that would be awesme. That or turn it into Tyson and seek me out at some point over the weekend since.most times I silent up kinda late. Thanks!

Angel

Is there any way I could get a higher resolution map from the players guide? Many of the cities and landmarks are illegible at the native resolution in the guide. Thanks!

Undrask said:
Is there any way I could get a higher resolution map from the players guide? Many of the cities and landmarks are illegible at the native resolution in the guide. Thanks!

Oh, man - this! I'd love a higher resolution of that little fella'.

We have one - I was just talking to Rich about getting it up somewhere so we could put up a link for everyone. In the mean time, send me emails and as soon as I find the file I'll send it out in one big batch.

Newest noob question:

What city is the camp in? Are we Anorian or Vavian?

That's fantastic! From my friends in other states I've only heard of a static village area, so I'm stoked to be a part of a travelling campaign!

For the most part you'll find out what area you'll be playing in well before the event, and in some cases it may actually be listed as part of the calendar, but its possible that neither will always be the case.

Are we allowed to bring and share our own food (so long as it doesn't have peanuts, as per the shouted warning before)?

The peanut warning was for that event. If we have another event where peanuts cannot be brought there will be another warning about it. As far as bringing your own food that's fine. We just ask that you don't bring an entire meal for people. The food committee is in charge of meals.

Thanks!!
Angel

Do I need to bring any sleeping materials when I play as an NPC?

Just to be clear, NPCs do not need to pay anything, correct? If I do have to pay, let me know ASAP so I can pay up before I gum up the works!

Membership, but not the event, yes?

Back