New Player Suggestions

Venrick

Hi everyone. I'm new to Alliance and hoping to attend the May event. With that being said, are there any suggestions for things to bring? Is lodging provided as well as meals? Do I need to bring a mess kit? Those sort of things.

Hello! Lodging is provided, meals are as follows - Friday night snack, Saturday breakfast, Saturday lunch, and Saturday dinner. Bring an overnight bag, an "in period" mug to drink out of, bedding (pillow and blanket at the least), bug spray (although almost certainly someone will have some to share if you forget), sunscreen. I'm sure there will be other suggestions shortly :)

Where are you driving from?

~Brad / Zihr

Thanks for the info! I'm coming from Willmar. O ly about an hour or so to the May event. It's a bit longer for the other site, but not bad.

Like Brad (Zihr) said, meals are provided! But it never hurts to bring some drinks or snacks of your own between meals if you like. It can be a pretty physically active weekend so I always like to have stuff between mods (water is always provided!)

Most sites will have bunks with some sort of plastic mattress, but you will want your own bedding (pillows, blankets, etc.)

Some sites will have showers (wisconsin site and castle event for sure), so I always have a bag with soap and a towel and whatnot with me, as well as my toothbrush, etc.

A good couple changes of under-costume & bedtime clothes, especially socks. Its no fun to run around in wet socks all weekend if its particularly hot or rainy.

All your game items or course, any weapons or armor you plan on bringing, and any costuming you might have.

Those are my suggestions!
~Zach S. (Elros)

Thank you. With the meals, should I bring a mess kit, or is that all supplies? For the bunks, are they in a communal space, or are there private rooms for groups of people?

Silverware and dishes are provides as well! Usually we have in-period drinking glasses to borrow (metal mugs) but of course you can (and most people do) bring your own mug.

Bunks are almost always in a communal setting of some sort, but for certain events (castle site for sure) MN staff will announce on the fourms when there are special rooms available for private groups on a first come first serve basis. (Otherwise, personally I will bring some bed sheets and drape them across a bottom bunk so it makes a sort of privacy curtain)

Along with what Zach and Brad said, I would make sure to wear really comfortable shoes that you can do a lot of activity in. If you can, consider having a couple of layers to your costume so depending on weather you are not too hot/cold. Even having a layer of under-costume clothes you can take on/off depending on weather will make you more comfortable. Also I would bring comfy street clothes to wear for the ride home.

I like to bring a couple of sports drinks to pour into my mug to get a mix up from water.

~Brenda (Mint)

while what everyone above has said is quite correct you might also bring bring some things to share with the group like : paper towels, bottled water, etc. these are optional.

David Raatz aka Iganeous

Silverware and dishes are provides as well! Usually we have in-period drinking glasses to borrow (metal mugs) but of course you can (and most people do) bring your own mug.

Bunks are almost always in a communal setting of some sort, but for certain events (castle site for sure) MN staff will announce on the fourms when there are special rooms available for private groups on a first come first serve basis. (Otherwise, personally I will bring some bed sheets and drape them across a bottom bunk so it makes a sort of privacy curtain)
Mugs will not be available May game. See kitchen news thread.

Thanks for the reply. I've got a mug to bring as well as a backup mess kit. If there are any other suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate hearing them. I'm getting excited with less than a week to go!

No need for the mess kit. We cover all of that for you. Brad does disposable because he doesn't have the time to clean up because the event paces pretty fast and he is a PC character. The games I cook for have non disposables because I am an NPC character whose sole (soul) job is to make tavern as taverny as possible ie feed you. :)

I typically help with kitchen at a different larp I attend. I dont mind offering my services if Brad would like some help. Just let me know.

I typically help with kitchen at a different larp I attend. I dont mind offering my services if Brad would like some help. Just let me know.

Very much appreciated. Typically I spend most of Thursday doing shopping, prepping, and cooking so I can spend more time at game playing than cooking. Almost everything I bring is heat & eat! Squire Edwina is almost certainly all the help I'll need. Enjoy the game, immerse yourself, should I need more help I'll grab ya :)

~Brad / Sir Zihr

Would anyone happen to have some spirit gum I could use? Mine ran dry and I don't think I can get it delivered by Friday.

I will be at this event and have both spirit gum and liquid latex which you can absolutely use. I even carry it on mods because my gems have a propensity for falling off mid combat.

I will be at this event and have both spirit gum and liquid latex which you can absolutely use. I even carry it on mods because my gems have a propensity for falling off mid combat.
Thank you so much! You are a literal lifesaver. I'm hoping the spirit gum will be enough for just one or two applications. I'll pass on the latex respectfully though and I don't want it getting in my hair.

Back