New player with questions

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting into this but I have a few questions. I talked to you guys up at the pocono mountain ren faire and honestly after doing some research this seems like a lot of fun! I did read the rule book in its entirety but in it there is some stuff that is not mentioned there which maybe you guys could help me out with.
First off how much is it to go to a event. I saw on your guys website but I'm confused as theres a couple different prices.
Second question can I join during the middle of the event. For example games start on friday night can I come in late saturday afternoon and play from there or just show up on sunday? Also would I have to pay full price or is there a discounted rate if you only show up for one day?
Okay this is kind of a odd question but I feel like its probably come up before. I have full plate armor, obviously its damn near impossible to put it on by myself. Do you guys have people who would help me put it on.?
Another question is my girlfriend wants to come with me, she wouldnt mind playing the game but shes not that big into the whole fighting part. Does she have to fight or can she play the role of like a lady who stands afar from it and needs protecting?
Lastly I saw that you guys have cabins that you can camp in. How does that work, say me and my gf wanna attend the event in June, whats the process of being able to stay in a cabin. Also if I have my own medieval pavillion am I able to bring that and set it up?
Also will I be able to become a knight? Whats the process and approximately how long does it take?

Sorry I know its alot of questions but I just wanna make sure that I get the right info before I come out to play. Thanks for the help - Taig

Last edited:
Welcome!

First off how much is it to go to a event. I saw on your guys website but I'm confused as there's a couple different prices.

To play an event is $60. You need to pay membership though first -- it's $30 a year or $10 an event. If you want to NPC, that's free but you still have to be a member for insurance purposes.

The pre-registration is closed, but you can show up at the door and pay -- but there's a $10 fee for being late.

Second question can I join during the middle of the event. For example games start on friday night can I come in late saturday afternoon and play from there or just show up on sunday? Also would I have to pay full price or is there a discounted rate if you only show up for one day?

Because you get experience points for the entire event no matter what, we do not have a "pay for one day" policy -- that would get really confusing when people come and go at all hours. Besides, why would you want to do that? That's like coming into the middle of a movie and then trying to figure out the plot!

Okay this is kind of a odd question but I feel like its probably come up before. I have full plate armor, obviously its damn near impossible to put it on by myself. Do you guys have people who would help me put it on.?

Of course. But your character would also have that problem, right? You'd have to find another character willing to help. Maybe you'd owe them a favor later...

Another question is my girlfriend wants to come with me, she wouldn't mind playing the game but shes not that big into the whole fighting part. Does she have to fight or can she play the role of like a lady who stands afar from it and needs protecting?

There are non-fighting things to do, of course -- you can work in the guilds or in the tavern or otherwise help other teams. Fights usually don't come looking for you, but at the same time, we can't guarantee that she won't get involved in one if, for instance, a monster comes into the tavern and she can't run away fast enough.

Lastly I saw that you guys have cabins that you can camp in. How does that work, say me and my gf wanna attend the event in June, whats the process of being able to stay in a cabin. Also if I have my own medieval pavillion am I able to bring that and set it up?

You can always set up a tent if you want. Cabins are reserved when four people sign up for one of them. There's also one set aside for people who are not yet in a group, so there will be a bed available for you no matter what.

Also will I be able to become a knight? Whats the process and approximately how long does it take?

Yes, but you should probably ask that in-game as your character.

Sorry I know its alot of questions but I just wanna make sure that I get the right info before I come out to play. Thanks for the help - Taig

If you can only make a day this weekend, come on up and be an NPC. You'll learn a whole lot that way.

Also, if you want to see pictures from previous events to get a good idea of what the site and costumes are like, join our Facebook page and check out the galleries.

https://www.facebook.com/AllianceLarpHQ/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Great thanks that answers alot of questions. I'm going to try to come for most of saturday and sunday for the June event. I dont think I'd enjoy being a NPC even I've read that people recommend doing that first. I've done some SCA stuff and I've played countless RPGs so I think I'd have the most fun just jumping straight in as a PC.

Sca and alliance are way different as far as fighting goes. While I did jump into character my very first time.I recommend u pull someone willing aside before the game starts to practice with.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

@TaigRothgar We may have met at the Faire. I was helping run our booth the weekend of May 7/8. I was the Horned Elf. I'll be onsite hopefully no later than 5pm Friday, if you'd like to chat about the game and maybe spar a little so you can get familiar with the game. I also agree with @Mike Ventrella about coming and NPC'ing for a day if you can. It's the best way to introduce yourself to the game and see how things work from a behind the scenes global perspective before you invest in creating a character.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. If I can't answer something I'm sure I can find the right person to direct you too. Glad you found us and are interested in the game!

Your not so average mystic wood elf,

Nuheran (aka Buddy)

Here is a little extra help on some of your questions:

Lots of players have real life schedules that force them to show up late or leave early. Even if your schedule is so hectic that you can only enjoy a few hours of the game, you still pay full price to PC. But, as Mike pointed out, you also get full experience. It is a necessary trade off to logistically manage the game, not an attempt to screw the player. Also, the reason this info isn't in the rule book is because each chapter can set its own policy for weekend pricing.

Don't worry about someone helping you get into armor. The players are incredibly friendly and PCs generally will assist with that kind of thing because it benefits everyone if you are fully armored.

Something Mike didn't mention is that there is an option in the game called paging. If a player chooses to page (usually for medical reasons), they are opting out of all combat for the weekend. This doesn't protect them from the consequences of combat, nor from potentially being killed, but it does mean that they will never be hit by a weapon and will never swing a weapon (or engage in other combat actions). It is probably easier to just hide in the tavern and not page, but if she wants absolutely nothing to do with combat in any way, this is an option.

Becoming a knight is entirely an in-game procedure, which is why the rule book doesn't cover it. The Player's Guide, though, does talk about it in detail and the information in there is generally publicly known and the type of thing your character would absorb while growing up in the world. The section on it is long and I won't try to explain it all in a message like this. The VERY short version is you need to diligently adhere to a specific noble code and join a noble court.

If you don't want to NPC, then don't. But, it is critical that you undergo some sort of new player training before entering your first event (many experienced players will help you if you show up early). I understand and respect your experience, but this is a different game. Combat is VERY different from SCA and much of what you consider legal and safe blows for SCA would get you instantly ejected from one of our games. Adapting isn't too hard (plenty of players have), but it requires a little effort on your part and some practice with someone experienced with our system.

-MS

Idk maybe I was there on the 14th, the guy with the black cloak if that rings a bell. Anyways thanks for the info, question about the weapons, heres a link to a weapon I wanna buy, will this pass the standards? http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-19387-knights-templar-larp-sword.aspx

I hate to say, but likely nobody on here can answer that question. Latex weapons all need to be physically handled and inspected by specific trained marshals. No weapon is assured to pass until physical inspection. There are a few brands that auto-fail for various reasons and a few that USUALLY pass, but none that auto-pass. If one of the latex weapon marshals sees this post and can immediately identify something that makes it fail, I am sure they will say so in this post. But, otherwise, it is a crap shoot.

-MS

Regading latex weapons. As MS stated I can't tell from a link if that will pass with absolute certainty I can tell you that Calamacil weapons will fail. They are just to hard for our game. Epic Armory and Forgotten Dreams are usually good but not guaranteed. If you need some more ideas you can post some links for blades you like. If we have passed it before it should be fine and we can at least let you know it usually passes. Again not guaranteed, but we can give you some good guidance.

The specific one I question I didn't see a manufacturer and I haven't tested before.

Taig,

hey man sorry I'm late to the party here. I am really glad you enjoyed meeting us at the ren faire. we had a blast there. If youd like i can address your questions directly. Just contact me at ashburygm@gmail.com also Dont forget that flyer you received is good for half off your first event! use it bro! Excited to speak with ya man.

Kyle

Back