new player

texx2396

Hello i am a player from long island new york looking for a place to do LARP over the summer. I am trying to find a place that i can bring some friends to enjoy a good weekend battling many people in a fantasy environment. I LARP with my friends at home and i do have much experience. I am also wondering if nerf weapons like the thunderfury's are allowed. I was also wondering if there are any head on battles on the weekends with PVP.

texx2396 said:
Hello i am a player from long island new york looking for a place to do LARP over the summer. I am trying to find a place that i can bring some friends to enjoy a good weekend battling many people in a fantasy environment. I LARP with my friends at home and i do have much experience. I am also wondering if nerf weapons like the thunderfury's are allowed. I was also wondering if there are any head on battles on the weekends with PVP.

and i believe i know of the ones your talking about, i bought 2 for my younger cousin for a birthday once, they started to shred pretty quickly comparred to the stuff i use for larping and also they are very much not in era. i doubt they will pass.

you should put some real thought, time, and money into a character before you start it. if you come in game with a crappy costume that doesn't look in era it won't earn you much respect.

if your new its good to start with NPCing your first few games so you can learn the game, and you'll also get to try different fighting styles to see what you like to use for a PC.

texx2396 said:

Generally, games like this are much more PvE rather than PvP- in other words, you're much more likely to be fighting NPC's playing monsters or bad guys rather than other player characters. Attacking other PC's is generally a good way to find yourself in a good deal of trouble for your characters- unlike Amtgard or Dagorhir, character deaths can be quite permanent, so hacking up the locals is a bad idea if you want to remain social. Play with them, don't use them for target practice!

That being said, there's a fair amount of fighting, especially if you go looking out in the woods for wandering encounters. Some of it may well be more than a new character can chew on- so remember you have two very effective defensive weapons. Your feet. Run for help if you get in trouble. Not all of your encounters will even be playing humans (or something living)- and you won't have to (or even want to at times) kill everything in sight. Use common sense. Alliance isn't "Massacre: The LARP", but there's going to be more bad guys out there than you can take on alone (or with one group).

Generally, Nerf(tm) weapons won't pass. They tend to be too rigid, lack thrusting tips, and have pretty much zero padding. http://www.nerohq.com/weapons.php is a good example of the materials and construction for "boffer" style weapons many people use. (there's a lot of pics in the photos section on the front page).

Back