New player

Good morning!

I had posted under HQ but I realized this is my closest chapter. I am brand new to this and I am looking for some help doing a character build if anyone would be able to assist it be greatly appreciated, I read through the rule book and have a basic idea it's just a lot of info to take in. So any help would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to trying this out!

Thanks, Josh
Paradise Pa

Good Morning Josh,
First welcome to the fold, My name is Frank and I am a player here in the Alliance. What sort of questions do you need answering and how can I help.

I also want to put out there that I am usually available if any help needs done outside of events, anything that will get my foot in the door to learn and meet new people.

As I mentioned in your original post in HQ section, NPC for a few times to get use to the rules and feel for the game.
Gettysburg has a great staff and are more then helpful in helping you learn the ropes and answering questions but There is nothing like getting hand on experience :)
Ry

As I mentioned in your original post in HQ section, NPC for a few times to get use to the rules and feel for the game.
Gettysburg has a great staff and are more then helpful in helping you learn the ropes and answering questions but There is nothing like getting hand on experience :)
Ry
Chulainn has been working with me a bit in the character but yes I would def want to come as an NPC the first couple times to check everything out.

All black.

So it looks like your events normally run from Friday-Sunday , do they start early friday or is that just when people arrive?

People typically start to arrive in the late afternoon/early evening, but Game On is usually 10pm or later.

Hi, Josh! My name is Kris and I am Gettysburg's Customer Service Maven. I can help you with any site related questions and some basic rules stuff. I am your go-to for all things regarding your play experience at and between games. I'll also be NPCing our first event this year, so I'll be available in person to help you out if you're able to attend!

To elaborate on some of the answers you've already received:
-Regarding NPC attire: all blacks that you don't mind getting makeup, dirt, and assorted bits of grime on. I highly recommend bringing more than one pair because sweat is a thing. You'll also want to bring shoes with strong ankle support; our site has a lot of rocks, rocky outcroppings, gravel, and plenty of forestland to trip over; if said shoes are also waterproof, all the better. Our opener is in April this year, so I strongly recommend layers that you can easily take off/put on; our site is on a lake so while it may be decently warm in the daytime, it will get cold at night. Promise. :)
-Staff and players start arriving on site usually around 5 PM onward. We have a lot of setup we usually need help with, so folks who arrive early can be super helpful in getting props where they need to go, etc. We usually have opening ceremonies between 10 and 11 PM and game on shortly thereafter. Our games usually end between 1 and 3 on Sunday.

Again, please don't hesitate to keep the questions coming; there are plenty of us here who are happy to help.

Hi, Josh! My name is Kris and I am Gettysburg's Customer Service Maven. I can help you with any site related questions and some basic rules stuff. I am your go-to for all things regarding your play experience at and between games. I'll also be NPCing our first event this year, so I'll be available in person to help you out if you're able to attend!

To elaborate on some of the answers you've already received:
-Regarding NPC attire: all blacks that you don't mind getting makeup, dirt, and assorted bits of grime on. I highly recommend bringing more than one pair because sweat is a thing. You'll also want to bring shoes with strong ankle support; our site has a lot of rocks, rocky outcroppings, gravel, and plenty of forestland to trip over; if said shoes are also waterproof, all the better. Our opener is in April this year, so I strongly recommend layers that you can easily take off/put on; our site is on a lake so while it may be decently warm in the daytime, it will get cold at night. Promise. :)
-Staff and players start arriving on site usually around 5 PM onward. We have a lot of setup we usually need help with, so folks who arrive early can be super helpful in getting props where they need to go, etc. We usually have opening ceremonies between 10 and 11 PM and game on shortly thereafter. Our games usually end between 1 and 3 on Sunday.

Again, please don't hesitate to keep the questions coming; there are plenty of us here who are happy to help.

Hi, Kris!
Yes I most definitely will be attending the first event to NPC for the game, I am very Excited!! And nope I've spent most of my life in the woods so getting dirty,wet and sweaty is my thing lol. I guess combat boots would be propper attire, prob would be best for this. David has also answered an email of mine and I'm going to try to make the prop party's to get my for in the door! Thanks again!

Josh

Think of it this way....pack as if you are going to be outdoors and active constantly...but bring the warm stuff for if you get caught in the wait part of hurry up and wait. There are on site showers so appropriate kit is also a must. Whatever you bring try to make sure there are no logo's visible on anything. You will see an array of level of costuming. There are allot of options out there, but first come and play and make sure you are having a good time before you invest in allot of stuff. If you are looking for vendors for anything you can think of feel free to ask. I keep one or two in mind for just about anything you could want.

Joe S.
Resident Jerk

Think of it this way....pack as if you are going to be outdoors and active constantly...but bring the warm stuff for if you get caught in the wait part of hurry up and wait. There are on site showers so appropriate kit is also a must. Whatever you bring try to make sure there are no logo's visible on anything. You will see an array of level of costuming. There are allot of options out there, but first come and play and make sure you are having a good time before you invest in allot of stuff. If you are looking for vendors for anything you can think of feel free to ask. I keep one or two in mind for just about anything you could want.

Joe S.
Resident Jerk
Thank you for the info Joe!

There are on site showers so appropriate kit is also a must. Whatever you bring try to make sure there are no logo's visible on anything.

Especially your shampoo. No wants wants their suspension of disbelief and immersion totally destroyed by seeing that you use Pert Plus.

Trust me on this. It has happened before.

Especially your shampoo. No wants wants their suspension of disbelief and immersion totally destroyed by seeing that you use Pert Plus.

Trust me on this. It has happened before.
Fortunately I shave my head so I don't own any pert plus lol

Given the amount of geese that void their terrifying goose-bowels in that lake, you don't /want/ to bathe in it. I certainly wouldn't.

To better answer your question:
Out of game: don't bath in the lake; it is frowned upon.
In game: if you want you /character/ to bathe in the lake, you could RP it out, I guess? Scrub the ol' pits, your head, hands, and arms, etc. But there is a lot of goose poop in that lake, dude. If someone on staff with more authority than me has a Very Official Ruling on putting poop-water on game-appropriate bits, feel free to chime in.

Back