New player

Lila

Hi there!
I am completely new to larping but am super interested and would love to attend an event (probably as an NPC to start out). Do you guys have any tips for a player just starting out? Also, what is the age limit to participate? Most of the larps in the Seattle area I've researched have been either 16+ or 18+ and at the moment I am 15.
Thank you!

Hi Lila!

Welcome to Alliance!

The whole Seattle team is up at Deception pass this weekend as there is an Alliance game this weekend. You can contact our New Player Representative @Draven on here or by emailing him at newplayer@alliance-seattle.com but he will be back Sunday to answer any questions.

Here is a link to the page policy, it applies to those under 15. Seattle Page Policy

New players are encouraged to read the rule book, not all of it, but the beginning is chock full of useful role play tips. There are some combat rules that would be good to look over. We typically do a new player orientation every game, so please feel free to join that a few times if you need a refresher.

Get a set of all black clothes to NPC in. Monster Camp will provide all the outfits you will need for the weekend. Once you become a PC, you will need to get your own outfit, but if you NPC a few times, you can find out what you like and don't like design-wise.

Thank you so much for answering my questions! Your response was really helpful. One quick clarifying question... should I somehow provide a permission form with a parent's signiture in order to participate in an event? If so where could I find the form? Sorry about all these questions

If you are under the age of 18 I do remember you need some sort of guardian there with you (doesn't have to be a parent). I can't remember about a waiver. I'll leave that to someone more knowledgeable.

Look at our graduate Page being all on top of this. Listen to Gavin (Maealas). He has had to go through this rigamarole so he knows what he is talking about.

@Alavatar I believe the wording is suppose to be "Players age 14 and under" as that is how it has been handled for many years. I think Bryan (@Polare ) may need to update the post with correct wording :)

You're right Seth, I was incorrect.
As per the rulebook: "In most Alliance games, a page is someone who is at least 14 years old and less than 16 years old. In some chapters, you must be a page even until you are 18. Some chapters do not allow pages at all."(89)
Oregon and Seattle chapters however allow people of 14 and up to play without having to page, but they still require the parent/guardian on site until 16.

I'll give a more lengthy response as soon as possible, but please send emails to me to

zeththemage@gmail.com

Currently, I'm not getting emails from the New Player address, so that's what folks should use for the time being.

I believe the policy is:
under 14: you need to page (as determined by the Seattle/Oregon chapters)
14-16: you need to play in the same capacity as your guardian on site (both of you PC or both of you NPC)
16-18: you need parent/guardian sign off to be at game. You do not need to play in the same capacity as your guardian
18+: you are an adult; you sign for yourself :)

If I recall correctly, your guardian does not necessarily have to be your legal guardian, but someone 18+ signing off saying that they are going to take responsibility for you.

Hey All!

The policy in Seattle is as follows:

Under 14: You need to page and you need to play in the same capacity as your guardian on site (both of you PC or both of you NPC)

14-18: You do not need to page. You do need parent/guardian sign off to be at game, and you must have a parent-appointed guardian attend the event in the same capacity as you. Your parent may designate another adult over 18 to be your on-site guardian.

18+: You are an adult; you sign for yourself

Your guardian does not necessarily have to be your legal guardian, but someone 18+ signing off saying that they are going to take responsibility for you that your parent has consented to via a signed note.

Thanks,

Emily
Alliance Seattle General Manager

Back