New Safety Rule on Melee Fighting: Guarding Yer Opponent's Face

Traceroo

Rogue
Hello All!

I am one of the official Weapons Marshals for Alliance Denver; I check your weapon phys reps for safety. Jesse has expanded the scope of my role personally in a limited fashion to include some other aspects of being a Safety Marshal as it regards safe melee fighting styles in our game.

Our game staff has received several complaints from both NPCs and PCs about a particular fighting maneuver used in our game over which there are some safety concerns. Let me attempt to describe it to you:

A defender extends their arms to point a melee weapon at an attacker to keep the attacker at bay. The defender swings the weapon back and forth to keep the attacker from being able to advance on the defender without taking hits. IF the defender swings the weapon in the air at the height of the attacker's face and shoulders (in other words, close to the face), this then becomes a safety issue. The attacker risks not merely taking hits to their character, but getting slugged in the face with the defender's weapon.

Alliance Denver considers this maneuver to be both a safety hazard, and an example of unsportsmanslike behavior. Our game will no longer allow this very specific move in melee combat:

What IS okay:

Pointing your weapon at your attacker's torso, legs, anything below the shoulders to keep the attacker from advancing on you. That's cool.

What is expressly prohibited:

Making this same maneuver held higher, up near the attacker's head.

If you have any questions about this very specific maneuver, or how to avoid it, please don't hesitate to ask Jesse, or me.

Thanks for your attention, and continued commitment to safe and thoroughly awesome fighting in our game!

Trace Moriarty
Weapons & Safety Marshal
Alliance LARP Denver

Does this work in reverse also. That you are not allowed to present your head as a target because OOCly you know they are not allowed to strike it.

You should not block with your head; that is not allowed within our combat system.

Trace Moriarty
Weapons & Safety Marshal
Alliance LARP Denver

I generally don't recommend charging face-first into glaives. It's counterproductive for one's health regardless of whether it is legal.

Back