New to alliance

jzick1984

I have been looking at your site for a while and I have to say one of the things that draws me to you folks is the idea of the kids event as I am married and have a 7 and 8 year old who love that I larp and want to get into it themselves.

I do have a lot of questions and would like if someone from the rule or logistics team could answer, not just an average player. No offense but I have been led astray too many times with that route and would like straight correct answers.

First what is the difference between you folks and true nero? I understand a few of the differences but if someone could spell it out for me please.

Second, are young kids allowed at all events? If so what is the cost for them to play the weekend?

Third, if someone had a very specific idea for a character, how would they go about getting a character approved before the start of the season?

Forth, what are the numbers as in how many, players come to an average weekend?

Fifth, Would a deaf man have problems if he wanted to join and see what it was like for a weekend as a noncombatant.

Thank you all for the understanding and the help

Jeremiah Z.

I have a few questions I would like answered if someone has the time

!. Are young kids allowed at all events or just the kods weekend? I have a 7&8 year old that want to get into larping.

2. what are the main differences between you folks and true full blown nero?

3. How does one submit a char before the start of the season?

Thank you all

Jeremiah

A lot of your questions are going to depend on the chapter you want to play at, so it would help if you could tell us where you're located. I'll answer what I can, though.

First what is the difference between you folks and true nero? I understand a few of the differences but if someone could spell it out for me please.
I wouldn't see it as "true nero" and "fake nero". NERO International and Alliance Larp are two separate games with a common history. Long story short, a group called NERO Alliance split off from NERO International several years ago, and after a lawsuit, the name was changed to Alliance. Some people still call it Nero out of old habits.
The games have grown in separate directions since they split, but the rules are still about 80% the same. One thing Alliance has over NERO (speaking as someone who plays both games) is that the Alliance national staff is much more organized than the NERO national staff.

Second, are young kids allowed at all events? If so what is the cost for them to play the weekend?
This depends on the chapter, but I feel like most events probably wouldn't accommodate young kids very well. Below a certain age, kids aren't allowed to participate at all, and until they're 16 or so (depending on the chapter) they can't participate in the combat aspect of the game - non-combat players are called "pages". The rulebook seems to leave it up to the chapter to decide on the minimum age to play, so you should definitely check with your local chapter.

Third, if someone had a very specific idea for a character, how would they go about getting a character approved before the start of the season?
Email your local chapter! They probably have their contact info posted on their website or in their forums.

Forth, what are the numbers as in how many, players come to an average weekend?
Again, this depends entirely on your chapter.

Fifth, Would a deaf man have problems if he wanted to join and see what it was like for a weekend as a noncombatant.
I'm not going to say there's no way to accommodate for that, but almost every effect used in Alliance relies on a verbal call - spells have incantations and weapon strikes have damage calls. He shouldn't have too many issues as a noncombatant, though, especially if he can read lips.

Edit - It looks like the kids' weekend you're talking about is being run by the Catskills chapter, so you probably want to ask this stuff over on that chapter's message board.

I was thinking of coming to the crossroads chapter if you could answer the questions as they pertain to your chapter. Also did not mean to insinuate real vs fake Nero, sorry. I just know that alliance still uses the name Nero as well .

KyleSchmelz said:
jzick1984 said:
This depends on the chapter, but I feel like most events probably wouldn't accommodate young kids very well. Below a certain age, kids aren't allowed to participate at all, and until they're 16 or so (depending on the chapter) they can't participate in the combat aspect of the game - non-combat players are called "pages". The rulebook seems to leave it up to the chapter to decide on the minimum age to play, so you should definitely check with your local chapter.
I felt as though I had to address this issue, since I go to events with my 2-year-old daughter so that my wife can get a break from her sometimes ;)

As Kyle said, it certainly depends on your chapter and how kid-friendly they want to be, but I have been exceptionally-well-accommodated and many of the other players have stepped up to help me watch her when there is something going on that my character just HAS to go do. I have heard that others have just brought their kid along and kept them "out-of-game" (wearing a white headband) the entire time, so the kid got to watch; but was not directly involved in anything. As for cost, it usually costs the same amount for a kid as it does for their parent as long as you're trying to earn experience for your children's characters. If they aren't getting character experience for the weekend and aren't participating in any way, the chapter may charge a minimal fee or even let them attend for free.

Also, I had to mention that both Crossroads (Catskills) and HQ have annual Kids' Events. I'm trying to get the SF chapter here to do the same thing, but there just don't happen to be a lot of parents locally.

-Luke

A two year old that you carry is much different from an active 7 year old.

Some chapters have age restrictions because of insurance policies or to not be restricted in subject matter. You should contact the owner or GM of your local chapter if you have any questions, and often the age limits are posted on the chapter's website or message board. I know Catskills and Connecticut have an 18+ policy and there are no children allowed. (Infants and toddlers are OK if they're kept in an OOG area like NPC camp or the parking lot area.)

is ashbury headquarters? if not what is ashbury listed under in the events calender

TheSavage said:
is ashbury headquarters? if not what is ashbury listed under in the events calender

Yes. It is HQ.

At HQ/Ashbury we don't allow young children at regular events but we do run at least one event a year just for kids. Catskills does too. At those events the adults play the assorted monsters/townsfolk and the kids get to beat us up. There's a story of course but the plotlines are generally simpler to solve than the adult game, and the rules are simplified as well.

KyleSchmelz said:
I'm not going to say there's no way to accommodate for that, but almost every effect used in Alliance relies on a verbal call - spells have incantations and weapon strikes have damage calls. He shouldn't have too many issues as a noncombatant, though, especially if he can read lips.

Reccomend being an NPC non-combatant in a role where the plot team thinks will never participate in combat. That's probably the only way that could be accommodated for the reasons Kyle mentioned.

Back