New to LARP-ing(?)— help greatly appreciated!

Pietro

Hello, so I am very new to this whole LARP thing, but I gotta say I like the sound of it. To be able to dress up w/out being called a furry, or a cosplayer is great, at least for me (no disrespect to either groups previously mentioned, just a preference of mine.) so, I have a build in the works, mostly out of EVA foam, but a bit is actually mechanical.. what do I do if it’s quadrupedal, and can’t really grip weapons/other objects? The creature i’m going with is a tall one, of my own design (meaning there’s probably no other like it),
and doesn’t really have anything human about it except what’s inside it. (Me ;) ). I’m just like looking for help starting out, any sub forums y’all can point me towards would be helpful. Like for instance, do a i have to make a name/race for this? I don’t normally play RPG’s, but when I do I’ve almost always had to do that. Thanks for reading if you actually got this far, any info is great!

Player Characters are restricted to the Player Races in the rulebook but Non-Player Characters get to be whatever creatures the Plot team approves.

Good: If this creature is somewhat like any real-world animal then you can PC as a (your animal here)-kin of the Wylderkyn race. This is the best choice if you want to play this character all day long. (Edit: having the use of at least one hand is important for almost any Player Character)
Better: If this creature is not at all like any real animal, I advise you to contact your local chapter, say you want to NPC, and let the plot team know your desire to spend some time playing this unique creature that you are building the costume for. You probably won't get to play the one character all the time but you will get the opportunity to play many other awesome characters.

Last edited:
Player Characters are restricted to the Player Races in the rulebook but Non-Player Characters get to be whatever creatures the Plot team approves.

Good: If this creature is somewhat like any real-world animal then you can PC as a (your animal here)-kin of the Wylderkyn race. This is the best choice if you want to play this character all day long. (Edit: having the use of at least one hand is important for almost any Player Character)
Better: If this creature is not at all like any real animal, I advise you to contact your local chapter, say you want to NPC, and let the plot team know your desire to spend some time playing this unique creature that you are building the costume for. You probably won't get to play the one character all the time but you will get the opportunity to play many other awesome characters.

Well, to answer your statement, my creature is more of like a mashup of many different animals, both herbivorous, carnivorous, and a few aquatic/avian. (No wings, dw those would be too heavy) also, what happens if I live in a state that has no local chapters?

A mashup creature would fall into the NPC category.
If there is no chapter in your state, then the travel to games will take longer. Some people carpool to the next state. Some people fly across the country to visit chapters far away. You get to decide your tolerance for travel.
A map of chapters can be found here:
https://alliancelarp.com/find-a-chapter/

A Wylderkyn based on a fictional animal would not be legal to play, per the racial description. Wylderkyn approval is no longer Plot purview.

That is not to say the idea isn’t awesome. I would recommend getting involved with the plots and and PC side of things. Definitely involve them in this idea of yours, and see if it is something that they would like to use for their stories.

Back