New Wither vs Stun

I understand why it can be an ensured Life spell, but why an ensured resurrection? It is a battle magic spell and isn't Corrupt, Raise Dead, or Prison. Thus, it should go away when you die, just like any other 10 minute duration spell, allowing you to be Lifed once you die.

-MS

Mike sorry to point out...prison goes away when u need a life spell

I think you're intentionally misinterpreting my meaning.

Would you prefer, "Give it a chance, guys?"

Because that's what I meant. I apologize if it wasn't clear enough.
That sounds much better...and I "liked" it. I agree that giving it a chance in play testing and discussing it here will work to make it better.

I understand why it can be an ensured Life spell, but why an ensured resurrection? It is a battle magic spell and isn't Corrupt, Raise Dead, or Prison. Thus, it should go away when you die, just like any other 10 minute duration spell, allowing you to be Lifed once you die.

-MS

Just me having a brain fart when reading the spell description, it read more like the 10 minutes was an absolute thing rather than '10 minutes or until Dead'.

Point still stands though, Disease becomes available to the enemy a heck of a long time before Life becomes routinely available to the PCs. :)

Last edited:
To address the original question, Stun Limb was put in at 8th because it was felt that Celestial 8th was lacking offensive punch. Also, it is worth noting that Stun Limb would not be removed by Purify. However, this is a balancing question I think feedback could have an impact on, particularly considering that this decision predates the "memorizing down" option which makes it a lot less compelling.

To address the original question, Stun Limb was put in at 8th because it was felt that Celestial 8th was lacking offensive punch. Also, it is worth noting that Stun Limb would not be removed by Purify. However, this is a balancing question I think feedback could have an impact on, particularly considering that this decision predates the "memorizing down" option which makes it a lot less compelling.

Is this is a change for 2.0? This is not currently the rules.

Purify removes harmful binding, curse, alteration and necromancy effects. There was a kerfuffle a bit back about this given that Stun Limb is an "other" effect but said that it was just like Wither which is necro. With Wither changing to all limbs and Stun Limb being an Eldritch Force effect, this confusion is eliminated.

So,
--"New Stun" will be fixable ONLY by Dispel (not by Purify or Restore) because Dispel is the only way to remove Eldritch Force;
--2.0 Stun Limb the martial skill (formerly PTD Stun) would also be E Force, for the purposes of Cloak and method of removal

Is this correct?

Purify removes harmful binding, curse, alteration and necromancy effects. There was a kerfuffle a bit back about this given that Stun Limb is an "other" effect but said that it was just like Wither which is necro. With Wither changing to all limbs and Stun Limb being an Eldritch Force effect, this confusion is eliminated.

So the ARC ruling that "Anything that cures Wither will cure Stun Limb" will no longer apply?

Yeesh. That's....not sure how I feel about that.

Restore will not remove a Stunned Limb?

That seems odd. Really, really odd.

So for comparison, in the "Stop Moving So Much" school of magic, we have:

Spell --- Level --- #limbs --- Removed by
Bind --- 3rd ---2 ---Release (5), Purify, Dispel, or breaking LOS
Wither --- 6th --- 4 --- Restore (6), Purify, Dispel
Confine --- 7th --- 4 --- Release (5), Purify, Dispel, or breaking LOS
Stun --- 8th* --- 1 --- Dispel exclusively

Hmm... I see the argument for having a spell that requires an 8th level to remove. And shifting it down would leave 8th level with just Evocation Bolt, Dispel and Reflect. Buuuuut I'm not sure I can say that I would ever prep Stun over Dispel at 8th unless I had way more columns than I knew what to do with (if I ever roll a Celestial scholar, that is).

Maybe it'll turn out to be super sweet, though. That's what the play tests are for.

*Edit: or 3 build per 45 build in fighter/rogue.

Last edited:
NPCs will memorize it. Be certain of that. Can only be cleared by Dispel is exactly the kind of awesome that is really good for taking on PCs.

But, yeah, I can see how PCs might have less interest since NPCs rarely have the numbers necessary to include appropriate support casters in their ranks.

-MS

Is the only difference in utility now between Prison and Stun that the target can talk?

I think Stun only affects a single limb.

Also, you can't fix Prison with a Death spell.

Stun Limb affects one limb, whereas Prison immediately arrests all actions. A Stunned character can be hit with other skills, a Prisoned one cannot (save killing blow). Stun limb provides no defensive benefits whatsoever, Prison is the best defensive effect the game has to offer. Prison is only removed by Dispel, Stun can be removed by Dispel, or becoming Dead, and I admit to being a touch foggy on whether Restore will work or not. I can look through old notes once I dig them up.

Ah, right, it's Wither that does all four limbs now (for 2 levels lower).

Back