Newbie Couple Seeking advice

jwconvery

Spellsword
Greetings,
My wife and I should be coming to the April event. We've played Nero (international) before, so we've got the basic rules pretty much down. We're just looking for some general advice from the populace. We've E-mailled Tom but I would rather let him prepare for the game, then continue to bother him with questions.

We are pretty close to our final characters, are there any races that should be avoided due to Chapter plot issues. We weren't thinking of Dark Elves, but it seems there's a war going on. Anything else like that? I would just hate to get all dressed up to find out that all Sarr are considered slaves and must avert their eyes to everyone, or that dwarves are killed on sight.

Our previous chapter, out in CA, ran mainly one day events. How difficult will it be to find a place to sleep at this campsite? Is there one big bunk room with crash space or do I need to make some quick friends before sleeping.

In general, how communal is the event? Are their mods that "the town" deals with in one big shot our is it a lot of guild, and small group plot stuff. I'm sure there is a mix of both, I was just curious.

My wife, Brigit, and I are quite excited to get back into Larping. Hope to see you all in a few weeks.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

-Joe

Hey Joe,

Did you used to play in Nero-West?

Alliance SoMI is generally a treat for all and has a lot to offer. There are a good variety of smaller group mods versus "town battles" so you shouldnt struggle at all to get involved.

As far as sleeping quarters, the current site has a very nice cabin split up into 4 rooms (2 bigger ones, 2 smaller ones) and I dont think anyone has ever has a hard time finding a bunk IG so long as they ask. The bunk rooms have nice kitchens, bathrooms, showers. It is one of the best sites ive played at.

As far as races that are involved in plots, I think that they do a pretty good job of cycling us all through racial plots and personal plots based on our backstories so you have no worries there. Actually the Dark Elves running around last event seemed to have an absolute blast with it despite the war. I think right now theres a good deal to be offered for all races and nothing to make anyone shy away from any races.

Look forward to meeting you there,

Paul

Thanks Paul,

My wife and I played in Nero-West last summer. It was a blast, I guess they are on hiatus now. That's too bad, they had a great plot staff. (Although I am sure SoMI is just as good, no point of reference yet :)

Glad to hear the cabins are nice. That shower will be great for the "Oh crap, I have to work sunday" weekends.

Thanks for the advice on races. Out at Nero-West, it was centered around an Elven nation and a Human one. So anything out side of that was psuedo-second-class citizen. Didn't really bother us much, but I could see it becoming irratating. We weren't around long enough to et into the nobility side of things.

Thanks again for the help, See you Friday night.

-Joe

Hi Joe,
Glad to hear that you and your wife will be coming to play at SoMI! Just like Paul said, you can play whatever race you want without any worries about racial tensions overall. We have PCs of almost every race represented in our chapter. Also, to give you an idea of what to expect, our campaign setting has more of an outpost/rustic feel to it rather than an upper-class kingdom feel.

As far as sleeping arrangements go, there should be more than enough beds to go around. I think we were only at about half capacity for our season opener. So, welcome to South Michigan and the Alliance! Hope to see you at the end of April!

- Alison

Joe & Brigit-

Welcome to SoMI, I'm Matt, one of the local plotz guys. It seems like you're questions have been answered already, but I wanted to issue a personal welcome. Also as you flesh out your characters make sure to send plot your histories so that we can make interesting things happen for you.
Like Alison said the town has a rustic outpost feel but I like to think that our player base covers just about every aspect of the game. We like to run a fairly intense game but at the same time we aren't out for blood (the post lower on the board is a joke). We'll make sure that there's something for everyone as well as some large scale town stuff. Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks, and don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions. PlotSM@gmail.com goes to all our plot members and we're happy to help.

Matt

Welcome to SoMi! If you like roleplay, lots of nastiness to fight, and a chapter that makes you have to think, and most to fear for their lives then you'll love SoMi. As far as races go, no matter what race you choose there will be events of interest for you. =) From what I have seen SoMi is pretty diverse. See you later this month.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. It sounds like a great chapter. Our main concern of "A place to sleep" has been met.

@ Mathis: We'll try to get some character backgrounds to you soon. Without really knowing the land or geography, it will be a lot of vague "From the East" type stuff, but hopefully it will provide some fun plot hooks.

@ Alison: Odd question but Larping came up at work (Long story involving Firefly and the View, don't ask). Do you know a 7 months pregnant operating room nurse who works at U of M hospital? Your name is spelled the same as her friend that plays. Just curious.

As for challenges, we aren't afraid. As long as there is a snowball's chance in Hades to win the fight, we're in :) I just need to get out to Home Depot to remake some physreps.

Thanks Again,

-Joe

Hi Joe,
If you are curious, there have been a few rules changes recently in alliance. There are some differences you will want to know about before you play. If you go to the alliance website, you can download a pdf version of the rule book. :)
T.C.

Haha! I DO know an operating room nurse at U of M. Tell SKate I said WHATS UP! What a small world :lol:

When you go to get materials for physreps, you may not be able to find the 5/8 inch wall thickness foam at Home Depot or any other supply store. For whatever reason, no one carrys it around here. We have gotten some online from the Do It Best center. Just a heads up since the event is fast approaching.

See you soon!
- Alison

Hilarious! Small world indeed.
Thanks for the heads up on the foam, I couldn't find any at Do-it-best. But at least now I know with a little advanced warning. The hunt is on!

Noni said:
Haha! I DO know an operating room nurse at U of M. Tell SKate I said WHATS UP! What a small world :lol:

When you go to get materials for physreps, you may not be able to find the 5/8 inch wall thickness foam at Home Depot or any other supply store. For whatever reason, no one carrys it around here. We have gotten some online from the Do It Best center. Just a heads up since the event is fast approaching.

See you soon!
- Alison

HI JOE!!!

This is John, Alison's Financee, tell Mrs. T that we said HELLO!!!!

Im not sure where you are at in Michigan but there is a hardware store in Lapeer MI called Tom's Hardware. They "usually" have the 5/8" wall thickness foam in the 1/2" and 3/4" inch sizes. If you can't find the pipe foam or dont have the time to head out to Lapeer, we have a bunch of supplies here and can either hook you up at the event OR we can make the weapons you guys need before the event.

Send me a private message and we can discuss specifics.

GJ

FYI - I LOVE making weapons.

Ace Hardware stores usually carry some 5/8" wall foam, it's kinda peach colored. Otherwise, we're starting to get into the season where department stores and Toys R Us start carrying pool noodles, some of which are a little too big but can be shaved down.

Back