Newbie Looking for Help!

Tanesia

I'm a newbie to the LARP scene but I am very interested! I'm working on developing a MWE character and I kind of want to be a bard.
1. What kind of armor and weapons should I be procuring? I didn't think too much but I don't want to come in with 1 armor point...
2. Is there room in the Oregon chapter for a bard? I can sing, I'm reasonably funny, I can learn some appropriate jokes and such. Will that fit into the community?
Someone help me! I want to join this world!!
~Lunwyn

Last edited:
Armor and weapons will depend upon what you are wanting to do. Bards in our game can be pretty much any in game class (earth or celestial caster, rogue, fighter or a hybrid of them). If you are in fighting along with doing bard things, then you may want to lean towards a rogue or fighter. While our classes kind of follow RPG type of classes, they are fluid so if you look to change over time then the costs change as the skill costs optimize.
And there is always room for jokes and songs.

Hey Tanesia!

I'm the New Player Rep for the Oregon Chapter. I also play a MWE myself!
While we specifically don't have a playable class that is a Bard, you can still be a "Bard" on top of one of the playable classes, like fighter, rouge, scholar, etc. Our group loves to joke and some of us love a good pun off - and we appreciate each others talents. We have a few folks that do sing from time to time, so they would probably love to have someone else to sing with!

Also in terms of the other stuff, totally shoot me an email at newplayer@allianceoregon.com and I will hook you up with all kinds of information. I'm available all the time and will answer all kinds of questions for you, even if you think it's super stupid - odds are it's probably not! :)

No character excels better than the character who's comfortable socializing with total strangers.

I think you're gonna do great. :)

Hi Tanesia!

This is a great community and everyone I have met is very helpful! Be sure to ask if you need any assistance with costuming or the like as the community has a lot of crafters in it. In game there are a lot of characters who can help you get into adventuring smoothly if you like such as the new leaf academy, various houses and factions, and the militia (which my character is a part of). As a new player myself I was blown away by the assistance I was offered and it has made a lasting impression. Looking forward to seeing you in Foxbridge!

This thread warms the depths of my heart which are usually only warmed by cask-strength bourbon and cat pictures.

Heyo! Welcome to the community!
Looks like your starting questions have been answered and I know Krystina can help with any other questions to help you get to game.
Then when you are there we can for sure go adventuring together! I am the head of the New Leaf Academy for Sedovia (Oregon) which is a group that is dedicated to helping new people find their way around the world as well as assisting them with whatever they wish to do like learning new skills, or getting potions and weapons!

Heyo! Welcome to the community!
Looks like your starting questions have been answered and I know Krystina can help with any other questions to help you get to game.
Then when you are there we can for sure go adventuring together! I am the head of the New Leaf Academy for Sedovia (Oregon) which is a group that is dedicated to helping new people find their way around the world as well as assisting them with whatever they wish to do like learning new skills, or getting potions and weapons!
Awesome you guys are all so helpful! Thank you! I will definitely need help with skills as I've settled on a Scholar and I want to go for as much alchemy as I can! Is it best to start as an NPC though?

Is it best to start as an NPC though?

That is up to you. I personally found it helpful when I started as it gave my character extra XP (you get to roll your NPC XP into your PC woo!) and it helped me learn calls and how to fight as I had never done any sort of LARPing in my entire life. Not even table top RPG stuff, so it was extremely beneficial for me - BUT some folks want to jump right in and start playing as a PC right away, and there's totally nothing wrong with that. It's just a matter of comfort level for you.

Here’s my advice:

Play the environment you want to play in. Sure, NPCing can net you some cool benefits, and it can help you start a higher than you would prior, but the point is to have fun. If PCing is ultimately what you want to do, do that.

Unless.

Unless finances are a seriously tight thing for you. If so, don’t be afraid to NPC. Heck, do it for a year, get the understanding of combat and rules under your belt, use that time to figure out what you want to play. Plot can always use more help in NPC camp. Plus, a year of XP and Goblin Stamps can help you build a character that isn’t starting from rock bottom, but still has a lot to learn, which is fun. Also, if you meet someone who seems like they’d be fun to PC with, maybe you’d talk to them about having your background tie into theirs, which can help give you get socialized when you finally do PC.

I started as a PC and had tons of fun organically learning about the larger world as my character would (They previously lived a pretty secluded forest life) and felt that it was both easier and harder to get the hang of things because I only needed to really worry about a few effects/skills but also didn't get to use them nearly as much as NPCs get to.
NPCs are also not always in character so its much easier to get to know someone and be friends with them and is all around a much more relaxed enviroment.
So what I'm trying to say, is there are pros to both and ultimately people say one or the other is better for first timers but that is just their personal opinion and you can't really go wrong with either choice.

A bard you say. I've been known to tip bards. I look forward to meeting you.

As someone who has played an entertainer in the game for many years (can't sing worth a damn but have no issue eating and breathing fire) I can tell you that bards are always welcomed. Some tips for entertaining. If you have an actual show you wish to put on, do it shortly after mealtime. There is often a little bit of a lull in the action at that time and nothing gets people in the spirit to begin adventuring than having their spirits lifted right after a good meal. Second, have a hat and a sign of "Tips". It may sound silly but more than a few players enjoy having something else to spend gold on other than magic item auctions and potions. :)

If you want to be a PC, be one. If you NPC, you gain points that you can apply more to your character and help level them up faster but if you're you're more interested in just enjoying the story and setting than in becoming more powerful, I say be a PC. I started off as one and although it sometimes feels as if you don't have much to contribute to combat and adventures due to the gap between your level and others, the truth is that if you're motivated to help others, are open and friendly and willing to listen to people, you can be a vital part to any adventuring group. One important thing to do is have goals for your character - even small ones. I started out wanting to tend bar. That's all. When I got that, I decided that I wanted enough coin to buy a workshop. Took a bit of time being under level 10 but finally got there. And I just kept on making more goals and it helped motivate and guide me in the world.

I noticed you said you chose a scholar and want to buy as much alchemy as possible. The cool thing about the Alliance system is that it is a fluid class system. What this means is that you can change your class depending upon what's the lowest total of your character's build. So don't worry so much about the class but the skills you want. If you're interested in alchemy more than spells, an Artisan or Rogue will let you buy levels of Alchemy for less. But if you add in spells later and it would be cheaper for your Alchemy, Spells and other skills if you were a Scholar instead of an Artisan, you can change your class prior to your next game - this is detailed more on page 48 of your rulebook.

Finally, the most important thing is to have fun. It's why we're all here after all.

Back