Night in the Park

A

Anonymous

There's another group the UW guys have associated with, called GOA. That's Games of Adventure. Anyway, they hold an anual event called Night in the Park. People look forward to this every time, and a lot of preparation goes into it. I know Fern has also done things with GOA, probably more than me, so if you see him, make sure to ask him how awesome NITP is.

It runs from 10:00am-11:00pm on August 21st in Ravena Park. They still need NPCs, about 15 or so more. Usually a good chunk of the U-Dubbers helps out with this, but we're kind of small right now, and I fear I may need to look a bit further. Any help would be appreciated.

Of course, if you want to PC, don't be shy. So far there are about 30 PCs signed up. The rules are different from NERO, but are actually much simpler, so newb syndrome tends not to last as long. Just be warned, it is just a bit rougher than your rules. Mainly, the weapons are pointier, made from flat sleeping foam, not pipe insulation. These weapons have been referred to as "Mark Fives." I don't know what that means, so don't ask me what a mark four is. Really, the only issue this poses is the danger of hitting someone's eye. This problem is averted by requiring eye protection, which is provided. Also, head shots count as a kill, unless it hits the eye protection. Those are all of the NERO to GOA complications I can think of. Actually, the firebolts are much more impressive, no offense. It's a small sack of flour you throw, and anything that has flour on it is on fire!
The specifications on what weapons are allowed are a bit more lenient. For instance, good ol' Anubis, pictured to your left and slightly photoshopped, is GOA legal.

So if anyone is planning on being in the Seattle area around August 21st, please consider taking part, no matter which side you choose to support. Talk to me if you have questions, or email the staff. You can talk to Janet at rosalynn_dhu@yahoo.com, or email the staff as a group at njaeitp@yahoogroups.com.

Please provide information (or links to information) upon the following:

Type of game (Fantasy, Scifi, etc)
Style (High combat, low combat, mostly rp, all combat, as well as some kind of world info)
How the entire rules system can be obtained
Character creation
combat systems
Death/dying/respawning
weapon restrictions and classifications (including how different weapons effect combat, their sizes, safety requirements, if nero weapons would be legal, sheild sizing and construction, weight, legality of jointed weapons, etc)
armor considerations
magic system
safety requirements, specifically dealing with protective gear
legal releases and insurance considerations
sponsorship and management
Cost
location (I don't know where this park is)
Accomodations (bathrooms, running water, sheltered area, etc.)
Staff contact

Those are the first few things I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll think of more.

~Matt, ORV

Please provide information (or links to information) upon the following:

Type of game (Fantasy, Scifi, etc)
Style (High combat, low combat, mostly rp, all combat, as well as some kind of world info)
How the entire rules system can be obtained
Character creation
combat systems
Death/dying/respawning
weapon restrictions and classifications (including how different weapons effect combat, their sizes, safety requirements, if nero weapons would be legal, sheild sizing and construction, weight, legality of jointed weapons, etc)
armor considerations
magic system
safety requirements, specifically dealing with protective gear
legal releases and insurance considerations
sponsorship and management
Cost
location (I don't know where this park is)
Accomodations (bathrooms, running water, sheltered area, etc.)
Staff contact

Those are the first few things I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll think of more.

~Matt, ORV

Someone please put a nickel on Matt's head, he seems to be skipping.

Jeff

I have contacted the staff myself shortly before posting that. I did ask if there was any sort of website, so I'll tell you when I know. Here's what I do know off the top of my head:
It is a fantasy larp, with plot much like you guys have: Evil wizards summoning monsters, plagues of undead, and pillaging treasure from kobolds. Dark elves are evil, though. There is more of an emphasis on combat. About any plot scenario involves killing things. From what I can remember, the mosters are usually there for plot reasons, so they won't just barge into camp and attack unprovoked.

Damage is location based, not hp based, so you won't have to do math in the heat of battle. If you take an injury on a limb, you have to favor it. Arm: can't use weapons. Leg: can't move fast, must hobble. Both legs: squat down and fight in place. Head and torso are kills. There are armor bonuses. Each weapon and armor has a class, and I think they go up to class three, maybe four. If the weapon class is above the armor class, armor is ignored. Otherwise, the number of hits required doubles for each level of difference. If they are the same level, it takes two hits to inflict a wound. If the armor is one level above, it takes four. The weapon class system is designed so you can tell the class by looking at it. If someone comes at you with a sword as tall as he is, leather armor won't do anything. If you have plate mail, you can point and laugh at anyone brandishing a dagger.

Magic is pretty similar. Any projectile spell involves throwing a packet. The incants are longer. "All the undead I see, turn thee away from me!" is turn undead. That one you don't have to throw anything for. I already described firebolts, right? The packet is an exploding sack of flour. You take a wound on whatever is covered with flour, which is usually everything.

Respawning is simpler and cheaper. You basically go back to town and wait five minutes or so. I think.

Taking NERO weapons should be no problem. GOA rules are much more lenient. Typically they use a different construction that looks a bit more realistic, but people won't complain if your personal sword looks like a tube. A good number of weapons may be provided for NPCs, in fact there are weekly construction parties going on now till the event to get all the supplies made. In fact, you won't need to bring anything besides yourself, though take whatever you want.

Since GOA weapons are thinner, eye protection is required, but that is the only safety issue that has ever come up. The eye protection provided does not do much to protect glasses, however. If anyone had difficulty sparing without glasses, I am planning on bringing a few pairs of chemistry goggles. They have served me through many a fractal distilation and acid/base extraction, and now they can serve you through many a pumelling.

Ravenna park is located a few blocks north of the UW campus. Going north on 15th AVE should run you head on into the park. There are bathrooms and running water. Food will not be provided, but the park is a short walk form a subway and such places. There is always a dinner break between the day campaign and evening campaign.

I don't know about making a character, but I'm pretty sure NPCing is free. As far as legal issues, it shouldn't come down to more than signing a waiver.

I believe I already told you how to contact the staff, so ask them any questions I can't answer. I have already contacted them, so I will answer the rest of your questions once I hear back from them.

Sorry if I multi-posted, obviously someone took care of it. I hate the seattle board early in the morning, it takes 10-30 minutes to load each page, so I may have submitted that post more then once while I was waiting for the dumb thing to load.

Speaking of which, does anyone know why the board slows down to a crawl between 4am and 6am? That's when I'm usually on after work. It's fine when I wake up and before I go to work, but man, slowest board ever otherwise. Maybe that's when there's maintanance? Is there a way that that could be bumped earlier an hour or two? It's really irritating, I can read all 15 of the journals I check, the alliance board, the oregon board, my email, 4 web comics, and check on ebay before I can read two threads on the seattle board.

Maybe it's always hung over..
~Matt, ORV

Yes it is server maintanance, and no I'm not going to be an unreasonable customer and hassle our web host to do it at another time.

On a side note, when the board (or any other site) is being slow, do not hit the submit button multiple times. Doing so results in your information being submitted multiple times, as above.

-Dan

I used to be a player of GOA, and to me it sounds like the game hasn't changed much, but if you want to really know more about, ask Bond. he played GOA a lot more then I did.

thedarkjedi said:
Of course, if you want to PC, don't be shy. So far there are about 30 PCs signed up. The rules are different from NERO, but are actually much simpler, so newb syndrome tends not to last as long. Just be warned, it is just a bit rougher than your rules. Mainly, the weapons are pointier, made from flat sleeping foam, not pipe insulation. These weapons have been referred to as "Mark Fives." I don't know what that means, so don't ask me what a mark four is. .

Mark 5's, otherwise known as "flatblades", something I introduced to NERO a few years back while Mara was still the owner. She had some pretty serious reservations about them, but for that one event, allowed me to use the one I had. Seems a lot of folks liked them. The core is typically .610 kite spar, but I've seen smaller material used.

*disclamer* To my knowledge, flat blades hadn't been used at NERO before that first event I attended, hence my statement. If I am wrong, politely inform me privately, not here on the boards. Thank you.

If you're at an event and want to get a look at one, we typically rack Keith's in the back of the guild.

All right, I heard back from the staff, and just about any question you can think of will probably be answered on the website: http://www.g-o-a.org

I am now on the NPC mailing list, so I will also keep you guys informed on what I find out from that.

One more thing, Janet is holding weapon construction parties at her house, or will be shortly, each Wednesday and Saturday. Not only will you get to learn how to make mark 5s, but they let you keep the weapon you use if you helped with construction. Not sure how to get there yet, but I know it's in Northgate. Anyway, tell me if you are at least considering this.

And Janet is nearly begging for NPCs.

I'll keep you informed when I learn more.
-Withers

I'd go, but the forecast of heavy combat is irking me, mainly on account of my recent knee injury (acts up now and then). I really wish I could go, though.

Oh, great...old man Hammond is going on about his trick knee again...

:p

Back