Nobility?

Arkade

Scholar
I have been away from the lands of civilized Law for quite some time. As to not insult any one with a title, wether earned or given. What are some ways that I can show my "respect" for other's Nobility. I think a short bow is most common, but is there anything else I should know. Possably High Ork or Dark Elf civilization's customs reguarding respect to Nobility.

Just as a curiosity, what are some ranks of nobility in various cultures? What do people think of nobility?

IG: Arkade Prince
(oog: Please ignore spelling)

In Icenia it is customary to bend to one knee when greeting nobility. Nobles wear a white belt as a sign of their station. Even nobles must kneel to those who outrank them. For example, a knight must kneel to a baron, duke or the queen (of course). A duke however is not required to kneel to a baron or knight, though usually some sort of greeting or acknowledgement is used. Generally visiting nobles are greeted with a bow - citizens are not required to kneel to foreign nobility.

However if you are, for example, an Imladari elf visiting or living in Icenia and you see Prince Gilthalion, you would likely be expected to acknowledge him according to Imladari custom, not Icenian customs.

Some nations (and some nobles) have stricter requirements than others. There are some nobles who would be very offended if you used another culture's greeting, while others don't mind so much so long as their station is respected.

It's often wise to seek out a member of the town guard, guild leader or some other official entity to learn these customs (as well as who the local nobility is) when in a foreign land.

In Service
Dame Sonia Forthiatis
Royal Seneschal
Kingdom of Icenia

The prime response is any of number of affectations which show respect and submission. Usually, the greater the show, the greater the imposed stratification within the society and the greater the social distance between individuals. Some groups demand total prostration when 'commoners' and 'nobles' meet, others merely a curt down-turning of the eyes and exposing of the neck. In almost all cases, the demand is for the lesser to show deference to the greater, with little or no onus upon the greater to respond to the lesser. Often, gifts are also used as a sign of respect: wealth of all values and flavours are always acceptable, but also chattels, goods, fine pieces of craft-work or performance.

In many cultures, the underlying concept is that the "weaker" party must show they appreciate the "stronger" party's ability and stewardship. That is, farmers are thanking their Land-owners for providing land and protection; Knights are showing their Liege Lords they appreciate their ranks, stations, goods and land; Courtiers are expressing gratitude to their King for her largesse in doling out pieces of her kingdom for stewardship. In the best of situations, it's a mutual symbol and expression of appreciation and balance, the strong shepherding the grateful weak - in the worst, and more common situation, it's gratuitous obsequity or abusive contempt.

As for the Elven tradition of my family and providence, when attending an elder of any rank: one bows one's head at the neck, but does not break eye contact; the stating of one's full name and parent's name is expected and polite; the elder then repeats her own provenance to conclude the formal greeting. Sometimes, this is concluded with a clasping of the left hand to the other party's left shoulder, though this is only between closer relations; shaking of hands or wrists is seen as poor form because of the implied lack of trust inherent in the gesture. A gift of a leaf from one's House tree is common, or a recitation of one of the Great Lyrics.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Simple Keeper of the Tainted Grove

I am more accustomed to similar traditions as Icenia does apparently.

save that of dropping a knee it is typically customary to state the responsive title and either a bow of the body or head, some showing that the individual is getting your full respect.

The Best Rule of thumb is if the individual is wearing a white belt they are a noble and have proven themselves of such, commonly Knights were a white belt which is a sign or suppose to be a sign of their virtue. Red Belts are commonly worn amongst squires.

Sheriff Title: Sheriff or Lord Sheriff depending
- Deputy
Title: Sheriff or Lord Sheriff depending
Title: Deputy : commonly called name

Squire
- Page
- Man at Arms
Title: Squire Last Name or Commonly called name
Title: Man at Arms No title, simply introduced by station and then name
Title: Page, no title perhaps Page <name>

Lord
Title: Lord <Last name or commonly called name>

Baron
Title: M'Lord / M'Lady <Last name or commonly called name> OR simply Lord Baron <Name>

Count
Title: Count <Last name or commonly called name>

Viscount
Title: Viscount <Last name or commonly called name>

Duke
Title: Your Grace: <Last name or commonly called name>

Arch or Grand Duke
Title: Your Grace: <Last name or commonly called name>

Prince / Princess
Title: Majesty <Last name or commonly called name>

Crowned Prince / Princess
Title: Royal Highness , <Last name or commonly called name>

King / Queen , Emporer
Title: My King/Queen/Emporer or Your Royal Highness <Last name or commonly called name> or Your Imperial Highness

==

I didn't mention knight in there as sometimes that is a tricky title you can have lowly farm knights or Baronial Knights.. you can get County Knights and Ducal Knights as well as Kingdom Knights and then Royal Knights...the duties and levels of authority vary so much that placement is hard and would depend on kingdom structure.

the best rule of thumb is this

Sir / Dame / Don / Syr : Name
remebering that Sir could apply to a female as well.

the title further goes into

Right Honorable Sir - Commonly Knight Baronets
Most Honorable Sir - Knight Commander / Captain of the Knighthood

===

Guild Masters
Title: Guild Master: <Name> *Commonly last name
People of a Profession who have masterhood:
Title: Master: <Name> or commonly used name

Peasents or a common address: Goodman / Goodlady: Name

----------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps you on some level

Khale Blacklight
Too many noble titles , too many years of adventuring.

Arkade said:
I have been away from the lands of civilized Law for quite some time. As to not insult any one with a title, wether earned or given. What are some ways that I can show my "respect" for other's Nobility. I think a short bow is most common, but is there anything else I should know. Possably High Ork or Dark Elf civilization's customs reguarding respect to Nobility.

Just as a curiosity, what are some ranks of nobility in various cultures? What do people think of nobility?

IG: Arkade Prince
(oog: Please ignore spelling)

If you meet any Shi'Na Maru (called Sand elves in Arandin), Bubastica Sarr or the scavenger races from the Rab Desert in Moria, we do not kneel as we feel this is dishonorable based on our history, nor do we bow. As water is a rare commodity in the desert we offer the water of our bodies to those we wish to honor. Most wetlanders would call this "spitting" and would consider it an insult if done in their direction. To us it is an honor that someone would give of themselves something so precious.

Our nobility rarely travel the wetlands. I merely offer this lesson to any nobles we should meet in other lands to explain why we refuse to kneel to them.

Kalaji ibn Faruq Am-khaibitu Entil'zha,
Guardian of the Eternal City,
Ambassador to the Kingdom of Arandin

EDIT: removed foolish OOG sig picture

In my lands, the Vale of Roses, simply using the title with the name is sufficient. Both during my reign, and under the guidance of the Council of High Knights in the thousand years that passed in my absence up to and through the present, we maintain a certain level of informality, as while we are sovereign over the land, we are servants to the good of the people and the Earth. We generally use the title Sir or Dame in addressing other Knights of the realm (as they prefer), both with the rank and file of the Knighthood, and with the High Knights (myself included). The honor paid is to the duty and position as well as the person whom the people and Earth have seen fit to grant the title to.

@~}~~
Sir Gregor

I can only speak for myself.

In Icenia... when not in the presence of his Grace, I prefer hugs to bows, and am known as Lady Knight Glorianna, or Life Spell, whichever is most appropriate at the time.

And yes I said hugs.

~Glorianna Wyndancer Nordenn

In my Pankaren society we offer our elders and nobles a grain of rice. It's our way of showing them that their efforts to keep our people safe do not go unnoticed. As they sacrifice for us we in turn give them grain of our working harvest, that's why you will always see my people carry around a small pouch with us all the time.

Tien Tien

Lady Glorianna,

To me, you will always be Mother Knight, and I will always show you my love and respect which you have earned and always earn every day because you are a beautiful person.

Ondreij

Ondreij said:
Lady Glorianna,

To me, you will always be Mother Knight, and I will always show you my love and respect which you have earned and always earn every day because you are a beautiful person.

Ondreij

I miss your hugs!

I will have to come back to Lindall and see all of my friends there.
Although I miss Issy so much. It will be sad for me to go to Caldaria and not see her lovely face again.

But I know she went to a place of light.

~Mother Knight Glori

AllianceNJ said:
I can only speak for myself.

In Icenia... when not in the presence of his Grace, I prefer hugs to bows, and am known as Lady Knight Glorianna, or Life Spell, whichever is most appropriate at the time.

And yes I said hugs.

~Glorianna Wyndancer Nordenn

And so is mi sorella called "Dame Huggy"!

But it is customary in Dagon and other Roma familia of the west that matrons and patrons be addressed as "Mama" or "Papa". And ones full name be delivered and hands kissed after.

AllianceNJ said:
Ondreij said:
Lady Glorianna,

Ondreij

I miss your hugs!

Although I miss Issy so much. It will be sad for me to go to Caldaria and not see her lovely face again.

~Mother Knight Glori

Lady Glorianna,

I know I can speak for most when I say that the Phalanx and all citizens of Caldaria look forward to seeing you again. I hope to sit down with you and talk at leangth about what happened to her as we walked the same path. You will always have a place to stay and shields to defend you with The Phalanx.

In Service,
Squire Theodin Hammerfist, Sheriff of Lindall

Hammerfist said:
Lady Glorianna,

I know I can speak for most when I say that the Phalanx and all citizens of Caldaria look forward to seeing you again. I hope to sit down with you and talk at leangth about what happened to her as we walked the same path. You will always have a place to stay and shields to defend you with The Phalanx.

In Service,

SQUIRE?

SO who had a brain cell and got you the red belt! This is happy news indeed!!!

I do want to come back and see all of you, hopefully soon!

~Glori

Lady Glorianna,
I have honor and privilege of being squired to, Sir Randle Ovis, High Sheriff of Dardanos.

In service,

Dame Glorianna Wyndancer Nordenn,

As a matter of clarification, we do not have a red belt in our lands. We force our poor squires to wear a shoulder sash that bears the colors of their leige, and oft-times ends up falling closer to belt level.

But on to my true point, I echo the squire's statement. You are always welcome in Caldaria, if there is any way I might extend my hospitality, you need only ask and I shall be glad to. However, I will, as always, refrain from the hugs.

Always in Service, Always in Light,
Dame Liand'aara Farwynd Ivyshade

aara said:
Dame Glorianna Wyndancer Nordenn,

As a matter of clarification, we do not have a red belt in our lands. We force our poor squires to wear a shoulder sash that bears the colors of their leige, and oft-times ends up falling closer to belt level.

But on to my true point, I echo the squire's statement. You are always welcome in Caldaria, if there is any way I might extend my hospitality, you need only ask and I shall be glad to. However, I will, as always, refrain from the hugs.

Always in Service, Always in Light,
Dame Liand'aara Farwynd Ivyshade

Dame Ivyshade:

I realize I am unorthodox. But I am a Romani.
and I have to be me!

And I dont need hugs... I just really like them so much better!

~Glori

AllianceNJ said:
I miss your hugs!

~Mother Knight Glori

Mother Knight,

Issalura will be sorely missed by many.

When you come to Caldaria, you may have as many hugs as you wish, just for the asking. I proffer them to you freely.

I'm curious to learn what qualifies a person in different kingdoms for Knighthood?

It seems to me when I think Squire it is more inline with the duties of a Knight and I think Knight and others relate that to the duties of a Knight Commander or on some level Duke.

Having served as a Baron, Count, Duke, Page, Squire, Knight, Knight Commander I always find it interesting how other lands interpret the duties.

Jorundr said:
I'm curious to learn what qualifies a person in different kingdoms for Knighthood?

It seems to me when I think Squire it is more inline with the duties of a Knight and I think Knight and others relate that to the duties of a Knight Commander or on some level Duke.

Having served as a Baron, Count, Duke, Page, Squire, Knight, Knight Commander I always find it interesting how other lands interpret the duties.

You must be exhausted...

In Icenia... One is appointed as a squire. They serve until they pass their squires test and are appointed as knights. At that point the next level of promotion is either the path of the Paladin or the Path of a Baron.

In all things you follow the code of Chivalry and dedicate your life to service of the people...

~Glori

Back