Noob here, love me and answer my questions!

Jaerin

The title was suggested by JP, so direct any hostility his way if you please~

I watched Monster Camp, and I live in Boise. It was a bit of a search to find 'Alliance' instead of 'NERO', but I did manage to figure it out. Portland appears to be the closest Alliance chapter to my residence, so it looks like the OR/WA chapters would get my attendance if/when I can actually make it out that far. I have some experience with role-playing (no, not BDSM), and I did buy a copy of the new rules, which I have read through about 80-85%. I skipped some of the heavy-mechanics chapters, and the effects chapter, but I intend to go read those sections when I have some time to focus on trying to understand them.

I have been reading the forums and websites for the past few days (these, HQ's, and Seattle's), and I have PM'd several players about questions on their posts and questions about the game. I believe my questions would probably benefit other new players. There is not a lot of activity on the board, so I figured I'd throw up a list of these questions so people can a) read and b) comment on them. Any/all feedback is welcome and appreciated! If you feel an existing answer could use additional elucidation, post an additional response.

Please: put the question to which you are responding as a quote or something in your response. This will make it easier for the readers to know what you're talking about.

Any other newbies: feel free to ask questions in here too, and I'll put up the original questions & answers as they are posted.

I'll be updating the original post over time as my questions are answered. Some of these questions are chapter specific, but not answered on the chapter website.

Q: Where does one get the Chapter Backstories for Oregon's campaign?
A: PM the username "Oregonplot" on this board and they should be able to get you something.

Q: What kind of campaign is the Oregon chapter running? High Magic / High Fantasy? Low Magic? Etc.
A: Oregon has somewhat less "epic magic items" and "end of the world plots" than other chapters (it's a matter of flavor more than anything). There's a lot of "everyday" quests (for a fantasy world!); for instance, every spring there's a variety of giant spiders that come out and lay eggs throughout the area that need to be dispatched so the hatchlings don't overpopulate.

There's definitely the big seasons-long storylines that overlay things, but the majority of the plot revolves around the political integration of the area into the Dalkani empire and the regular adventuring needs of the area.

Q: How frequently does Oregon do long-weekend or 5-day events?
A: Pretty rarely. 5-days almost never happen anymore, and long-weekends are very infrequent. Seattle does do a few long-weekend type events, over holidays.

Q: What, in great detail please, is the food situation at an event (for both NPC's and PC's)? Particularly as it relates to special dietary needs (low sodium, low carb, celiacs, etc).
A: The food for NPC's is provided by staff. They will ask for restrictions, but if you have a crazy diet, it is considerate of you to just bring your own food instead of making life hard for everyone else involved ;) PC's all bring their own food, food survives fine in a cooler for the 2.5 days, and there are usually adequate cooking areas at the sites.

Q: What is the process for character history submission? Please be as detailed as possible.
A:

Q: How hard is it to dual wield? Any tips for improving?
A: Twin shorts takes a great amount of speed, and the ability to track two activities at the same time, kind of like playing piano. When players get started with twin shorts, they tend to use their offhand as a parrying weapon predominantly, and their main hand for striking. Short and long takes a bit less speed, but a bit more control. After a while, you'll get used to striking with both weapons

Tip for improving: Play drums for Rock Band. :D

Q: How many attendees are there usually? Please break down into Staff/NPC/PC.
A: Oregon
NPC's Maybe 6-8 NPCs for Oregon. Cymryc is the owner and tends to help NPC. NPC's are plot members too, so many will have written mods and such for people to go on, plus the main theme of the event.
Staff: 4-5.
PC's about 15.
Overall about 30-40 people attend Portland events.
Seattle
NPC's: about 12
Staff: 6-8
PC's: about 30
Overall between 40-50 attend Seattle events.

Q: What is the average character level of Oregon's players?
A: The players tend to range in level from 1 to 25, with the middle being around 12.

Q: What are the class archetypes of the Oregon players?
A: Of the 15, only 4 or so are "raw fighters", the rest will have some amount of packet-throwing to them, predominantly earth spells, but some celestial spells and some gas throwers.

Q: How long have the Oregon players been playing, on average?
A: The "average" Oregon PC has probably been playing for 3-5 years, would be my guess. Some, like JP, are pushing 20 years played. Others are brand new.

Q: What is the age-range for players in Oregon?
A: Anywhere from 8 to 45+. The average is probably early twenties.

Q: Which classes/races does the Oregon campaign feel could use more representation, in terms of PC's?
A: Artisans, however, you should focus on playing something fun and exciting to you. That way you stay interested in the game instead of getting bored with a character you don't enjoy.

Q: How hard is it for a noob to join an existing campaign of higher-level players, and feel useful?
A: The answer depends entirely on your ability to role-play. If you feel like playing a 'lone-wolf' then it could be very difficult. If you're character is very gregarious and a team-player, it should only require a few well roleplayed encounters with established parties to join up. It might also help to bring skills to the table that would balance a party, rather than being a clone of the most commonly played race/class combo in the Chapter.

Q: How late do games run?
A: The events usually run from around 9pm on Friday night to noon or 5pm on Sunday. Whether or not they run stuff from like 3am to 9am depends largely on the wakefulness of the PCs, but some events have occurred where at least one NPC had to be awake at any given time. The end time of the event depends mostly on what arrangements the owner has made. Seattle ends at noon because it saves them a couple hundred dollars to do so, Oregon ends later. After the event is over, there's usually about four hours left for cleaning up site, cabins, taking showers, getting makeup off, etc.

Q: Do I have to stay up past midnight if I am sleepy?
A: Never. However, lots of interesting stuff can happen when the sun goes down during an event. You can participate, or not, at your whim.

Q: What is a typical 2-day weekend like?
A: Friday night will have Opening Announcements, basically welcoming everyone and thanking them for showing up. Your NPCs and plot team will be identified, as well as marshals (people to go to for rules disputes). If there are any site-specific comments to be made, this is when they'll do them (i.e. advising you as to what the site smoking policy is, letting you know if there are any nearby areas that out of bounds, and so on. Ideally, there should also be any "rules-of-the-event" announced as well as some description of what has led up to this event. "Rules-of-the-event" cover anything that is not normally in the rulebook, is not an Alliance-wide rule, and is in use for the event. It shouldn't happen often, but it does occasionally, from the simple ("This event you may here the carrier 'Pain'. It works just like the 'Drain' effect in every way, but you act like you're in pain") to the very complex ("Everyone will be given a colored headband. You can only see and interact with people of the same color headband as you.") Once OA is done, they'll call "Lay On", meaning the game has started. NPCs will be taken away by the plot team and given their immediate assignments, PCs will either finish putting on their makeup or start roleplaying.

The specifics of the event will vary. Some people like to start the game with big fight, some people like to end it with one. The most basic is that players start interacting with one another and the world around them, NPCs go find out what they should be doing.

Q: How many points does backstab cost for an Adept? The rules book is very confusing about the 'selling back' wording.
A: The true total cost is 18 Build Points for an Adept. 4 x 3 for the 4 Back Attacks, and then 6 to pick up the actual Back Stab, which erases the 4 Back Attacks. You do not get any Build Points back when they're 'sold back', they are just part of the payment.

Q: How many points does it cost to go from a single weapon skill (say One Hand Edged), to Weapon Mastery? Again, the 'sellback' is mentioned but is not very clear
A: In this case, the 'sold back' skills are completely refunded during the purchase of the overarching skill. Thus, going from one-handed edged to weaponmaster for a fighter takes only 2 more build points.

Q: What are the upfront fees to play your first game as a PC? NPC?
A: PC's in Oregon pay the event fee, which varies depending on the length of the event. NPC's pay $0 in Oregon.

Q: Can i just watch instead of play?
A: Yes, but don't be a distraction. Since NPC'ing is 100% free, why not just NPC (provided you are of an appropriate age to NPC, and not just be a page)?

Q: I see that Body Points are pretty hard to come by as a PC, but death appears to be fairly rare (as opposed to unconsciousness). How many body points does a monster have, and when they hit 0 are they dead, or just unconscious?
A: 30-50 would be the average range for a typical monster, sometimes as high as a couple hundred if it's a super-cool monster isn't unreasonable. You should never expect a monster to have 75,000 hit-points.

Q: My professional job is < x, y, z >. Does the chapter need any help with anything that I can lend my professional experience for aid?
A: There are lists on the forums that ask for donations of time, skill, or equipment. Check there to see if you can be of service, and to see the Goblin Point value of said needs.

Q: How much fun do you have doing this? Please be both qualitative and quantitative in your response. ;)
A: See below. Short answer: At its best, this game can provide not just a weekend's worth of solid entertainment, but stories I'll be able to share for years.

Jaerin said:
I watched Monster Camp, and I live in Boise. It was a bit of a search to find 'Alliance' instead of 'NERO', but I did manage to figure it out. Portland appears to be the closest Alliance chapter to my residence, so it looks like the OR/WA chapters would get my attendance if/when I can actually make it out that far. I have some experience with role-playing (no, not BDSM), and I did buy a copy of the new rules, which I have read through about 80-85%. I skipped some of the heavy-mechanics chapters, and the effects chapter, but I intend to go read those sections when I have some time to focus on trying to understand them.

Always great to see new players! I hope we see you at an upcoming event some time :) Oregon's next event is in about a month, hint hint!

I will take a stab at some of your questions below. Others will need to be answered by more "official" staff persons (I am but a lowly rules marshal in Oregon, though I've played in the chapter for many years).

Q: Where does one get the Chapter Backstories for Oregon's campaign?
A:

Oregon plot staff is your best bet. PM the username "oregonplot" on this board and they should be able to get you something.

Q: What kind of campaign is the Oregon chapter running? High Magic / High Fantasy? Low Magic? Etc.
A:

Oregon has somewhat less "epic magic items" and "end of the world plots" than other chapters (it's a matter of flavor more than anything). There's a lot of "everyday" quests (for a fantasy world!); for instance, every spring there's a variety of giant spiders that come out and lay eggs throughout the area that need to be dispatched so the hatchlings don't overpopulate.

There's definitely the big seasons-long storylines that overlay things, but the majority of the plot revolves around the political integration of the area into the Dalkani empire and the regular adventuring needs of the area.

Q: How frequently does Oregon do long-weekend or 5-day events?
A:

Pretty rarely. Almost nobody in the Alliance does 5-day events (there was a weeklong a few years ago in the midwest). Seattle does a couple of 3-day (long) weekends a year. Otherwise, it's normally standard 2-day weekend events, from Friday night to Sunday midday.

A:

The "average" Oregon PC has probably been playing for 3-5 years, would be my guess.

Q: What is the age-range for players in Oregon?
A:

Anywhere from 8 to 45+. The average is probably early twenties.

Q: Which classes/races does the Oregon campaign feel could use more representation, in terms of PC's?
A:

Focus on what feels like you would most like to play. There's a good variety of everything in Oregon right now.

Q: How hard is it for a noob to join an existing campaign of higher-level players, and feel useful?
A:

That depends mostly on you, the player. Brand-new players might still be very useful and accepted if they show that they're willing to work in a team and accept leadership from more experienced characters. Conversely, older characters might still have trouble fitting in depending on their attitude (which can often be an intentional part of the character's personality).

If you want to maximize your ability to "fit in" and be useful, think about making a character that's more easygoing and willing to follow than someone who needs to be a "lone wolf" from the get-go. Save that for your second character :) There's often certain characters you can find who will be happy to take in "new adventurers" and help them integrate into the game.

Do I have to stay up past midnight if I am sleepy?
A:

Nope, it all depends on what you feel like doing and what your character wants to get done. Some things are best done by being the first person to wake up and be rested, others are best done by staying up late.

A:

Sure, but it's a lot more fun to play :) Coming and watching is certainly feasible for a game day or module day, but for a full weekend you might want to think about talking to the owner and/or plot staff about watching for a while, then NPCing for a while or something so you can get your feet wet.

Q: My professional job is < x, y, z >. Do you need any help with < x , y , z > ?
A:
I'm assuming this question is for me (the player) not my characters but it seems a bit out of place compared to the others. I am a software developer by trade. I am plenty good with it, thanks :)

Q: How much fun do you have doing this? Please be both qualitative and quantitative in your response. ;)
A:
LARPing is the most enjoyable hobby I have found in my life - and I've tried a lot of different things. It is by far the most engaging gaming I've participated in. There's just such a huge difference between being told "you're in the dark, being chased by a beast that wants to kill you" and actually BEING in the dark woods, running in fear of your (character's) life while something dark and ferocious is chasing you...

I have played Alliance for about 13 years now, and Oregon since the chapter opened. The game is a blast to play. You need to be willing to try something new, and I recommend playing a character that is dramatically different from your out of game personality in at least one major way. It helps focus your attention and keep you in character instead of drifting back to your natural personality.

-Bryan Gregory

Polare said:
Q: My professional job is < x, y, z >. Do you need any help with < x , y , z > ?
A:
I'm assuming this question is for me (the player) not my characters but it seems a bit out of place compared to the others. I am a software developer by trade. I am plenty good with it, thanks :)

-Bryan Gregory

Haha i meant as a player helping the chapter. For example, if you're a software developer, does the chapter need any win32 clients built to interface with the database to make module creation or player tracking easier? Or if your bent is more of the web, does the chapter need help with website/forums, or perhaps a PHP or ASP.NET solution for displaying current character statistics pulled from the database after a secured login. Or say I am a professional armorer, or costume designer, or carpenter, or tailor (etc). Not really player helping player, but player helping chapter for various needs.

Jaerin said:
That one will be tricky to figure. As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm coming up on year 20 here soon. Holly, Cymryc, and Matt are around 10 years, I think? Overall, you'll get a good mix. More than half of the players have been around for over 4 years, easily.

Artisans, but I generally think we need a larger playerbase overall to really support a thriving "need" for them.

Depends on how the players have their characters react. Generally speaking, Oregon tends to use low body values for its monsters and leans away from big threshold, magic weapon only type beasties. Everyone gets to do something, just higher levels get to do more, would be the way I'd talk about it.

Do I have to stay up past midnight if I am sleepy?
No one will hold your feet to the fire if you, the player, are really tired. But I think you might miss out on fun stuff if you don't stay up until 1am on Friday night, at least.

Q: How many points does it cost to go from a single weapon skill (say One Hand Edged), to Weapon Mastery? Again, the 'sellback' is mentioned but is not very clear
The price listed for the "grouped" skill is total, so going from one-handed edged to weaponmaster for a fighter takes 2 more build points.

PC: Membership fee (I forget if Oregon charges one or not), plus the event or gameday fee (50?)

Probably. You'll be asked to wear a white-head band, so players know that you're not participating, and asked to keep distractions to a minimum (i.e., please don't interrupt the players in the middle of a good time)

You should never expect a monster to have 75,000 hit-points.
Just to be clear, that's my opinion, and in my opinion, that's a crappy monster. 75 monsters with 1000 body is better than one monster with 75k body, even if that means using the same five or six people over and over to do it.

I'll give the quality/quantity fun thing later... work beckons.

Jaerin said:
The title was suggested by JP, so direct any hostility his way if you please~

I don't have more than a brief moment, but I just want to say, I support this. You're on the right track already.

Saephis said:
I don't have more than a brief moment, but I just want to say, I support this. You're on the right track already.
You always hurt the ones you love...

As I said before, I've been at this for quite a while. I started back in 1989, in Massachusetts, where NERO was originally founded. Some friends and I would occasionally rent tables at the store which Ford Ivey ran near Arlington, and we'd overheard some people talking about it. With some asking around, we ended up buying some rulebooks and coming up with characters to play at the event. My first character was Taziar Medekan, horribly ripped out of the Bifrost Guardians series, but I played him as an elf rogue. The first skills I bought were Small Weapon, Florentine, and First Aid. I have decided I would be really good at fighting with paired daggers, and in our sparing practice leading up to our first event, I kicked ***, let me tell you. My friends would come to me and swing, and I'd dive for the dirt, somersault behind them, and pop up shouting "One one one one one" as I whacked on their backs. I was awesome. Of the three of them, none of them could touch me, I was that good.

We went to our first event at Camp Wing, a fairly large site that had a series of cabins in the forefront, a big open field, a tavern hall, a lake, a bridge across it, and a fort on the hill behind it. We got on site, and got assigned a cabin to use, then went through logistics. My first suit of armor was made of table cloth vinyl cut out to form a tabard, and bracers made with rubber bands and more vinyl. I went and picked up some elf ears from the Elf Racial Marshal, and we laid out our camping gear in the cabin.

Game on was called, and the adrenalin was pumping. As I walked through the dark from the tavern to the fort, I encountered a group of adventurers. "What ho" they called, "who goes there?"

"Taziar of the Cumberlands"

"What? I don't know you, Taziar, are you lying?"

"No!"

Some muttering commenced, and they let me on my way. Good thing, to, 'cuz man, I had a world of hurt for them if they didn't.

Suddenly, an orc came running across the field. "I got this!" I said to these people with their chainmail and fancy tabards. The orc stopped and tilted his head, clearly realizing he had bitten off more than he could chew. Then a friend of his came up out of the shadows from behind him. Enh, I had this under control. They approached me a bit more cautiously, and the first one began his attack. Quickly, I dove to the ground, ready to commence with my patented moved, practiced for weeks ahead of time for just this moment.

I like to think I nearly slayed them with laughter. Instead of being shocked and awed by my cunning and agility, it seems they were more entertained at seeing me roll about in the dirt while stabbing me over and over and over. Then, the people I'd encountered came over and made quick work of the orcs. The one I'd haughtily dismissed earlier came over to me and searched my bleeding, dying corpse, pilfered the few coppers I had in my pouch, and left me there to rezz.

Over the course of the weekend, I died at least once more. I slept maybe five hours the entire time. and it was worth it.

Is the game fun? At its best, this game can provide not just 48 hours of solid entertainment, but stories I'll be able to share for years.

Jaerin said:
I have some experience with role-playing (no, not BDSM)
You know, it's usually nice to try new things

Jaerin said:
Q: What, in great detail please, is the food situation at an event (for both NPC's and PC's)? Particularly as it relates to special dietary needs (low sodium, low carb, celiacs, etc).
A:
I don't have great detail, but I have some experience. PCs bring their own food, so it's whatever they bring. For the two events I've NPC'd, I've been asked on the forum beforehand about any dietary restrictions. There was a good variety of food for the various meals, but for needs that are too restrictive, it's safer to bring at least some food yourself. There's enough room in the kitchen for it.

Jaerin said:
Q: How hard is it to dual wield? Any tips for improving?
A: Twin shorts takes a great amount of speed, and the ability to track two activities at the same time, kind of like playing piano. When players get started with twin shorts, they tend to use their offhand as a parrying weapon predominantly, and their main hand for striking. Short and long takes a bit less speed, but a bit more control. After a while, you'll get used to striking with both weapons

Tip for improving: Play drums for Rock Band. :D
The first thing I noticed my first event was the number of times I succumbed to feints, usually when I was dual-wielding. Learn to feint and be feinted.
And apparently, I need to buy Rock Band. Oh, darn...

Jaerin said:
A:
NPCing is always free at Oregon.

Jaerin said:
A:
Game days are in a public area, so we can sometimes get random observers from those. For a weekend event, if you NPC, you can do as much or as little as you feel comfortable, sometimes watching during the times you're not being a character. I definitely recommend just jumping in, though. It's a lot more fun.

Jaerin said:
Q: My professional job is < x, y, z >. Does the chapter need any help with anything that I can lend my professional experience for aid?
A:
I feel like this would depend on x, y, and z, but why your job is expressed as a vector is beyond me.

Jaerin said:
A: See below. Short answer: At its best, this game can provide not just a weekend's worth of solid entertainment, but stories I'll be able to share for years.
Overall, I find LARPing 37% more fun than Smash Bros and 89% more fun than being facetious. It's about 7 times as fun as installing Windows, and beats a boot to the head by a long shot. Okay, so I must confess that I'm not really sure what you're looking for when you ask for a quantitative response.

I'm not sure how much longer I can claim to have a new player's perspective on this, but my first event was the weekend of 1/31, and I decided on that event that I would have to return. Since then, I've done an Oregon game day, and a Seattle event from which I just returned. I have only NPC'd, but I definitely enjoyed myself. Especially learning the plot surrounding the Oregon event, and participating in the epic battle at the guardhouse. At the Seattle event this past weekend, it was sleeting, and I had no problem being outside swinging pipe, or even just announcing to PCs that they were in the presence of Head.

JP is not the only person I've heard say that the stories you have afterward are very valuable, and fun in and of themselves. I heard several stories on day one, before the game even started my first event, and even more as time went on. After I returned, I inundated whomever would listen with stories of the intrigue that weekend. The time that the PCs got the innkeeper executed for treason. The time the ratlings stole the big armchair right out of the tavern. The time that I was supposed to just be a monster for the PCs to kill, but they decided to be diplomatic at the last second, and ask me all these questions I had no answer to, but still I had to pretend like I was central to the matter at hand. The time I walked into the tavern as a gypsy merchant, and immediately as I ostentatiously opened the doors, my cloak broke and fell to the floor. When Polare shook my hand, and you could tell in his eyes that he knew that I hadn't made up a name for the aforementioned merchant. When Fiddle totally ganked Zurr. When I was summoned out of the ground and told to bother the guy refitting his armor, and raced across the amphitheater, leaping over seats as the PCs scrambled to put themselves in a position to block. The time we decided as monsters that we were just going to walk in the front doors of the tavern, and the entire town that had previously been sitting in a circle-ish scrambled to their feet to defend themselves as chairs skittered across the floor. Discussing the specifics of ratling society and philosophy when the innkeeper was too depressed and the PCs too entertained to kick us out of the tavern. Note that these are only things I have from 2 events and a game day, some of which translate as good stories, and some of which are just awesome memories. I will only have more and better as time goes on.

That having been said, there's a reason it costs significantly less to NPC, and that's because it is generally considered more fun to PC. So, take what you will from that.

Awesome responses so far. NPCing is completely free then, no membership/regsitration, etc?

It does sound like many NPC's would be better off going the PC route and bringing their own food, rather than impose on the quartermaster of the event to cater to their restrictions.

Anyone else with input feel free to share.

I've NPCed three times and PCed once and only in Oregon. Regarding food, I have a no-sugar no-flour no-sweeteners no-lots-of-things diet, so for when I NPCed I brought my own food and picked at the ingredients that I could eat. Of course I brought my own food as a PC. I know of at least one plot team member who also has very strict food requirements. I posted this on another board before, but everyone's pretty cool about weird food issues and health problem accommodations and all that. I always bring this little water boiling thingy that is lovely for dehydrated soup, tea, oatmeal, and whatever, though I think there's always a microwave. I drive from Seattle, so that means I pack up my cooler with lots of ice and it always survives just fine.

Come and have fun!

Oh yes, and NPCing is free, no registration necessary except it is nice to have them remember that you NPCed so you can get experience for it when you move to PCing :). Plus it's just helpful for them to know you're coming.

If I remember correctly membership is only like 15 or 20 dollars a year, and that means you are definitely on the site insurance and that you will be in the database and will be earning experience for your character while you NPC, which believe me is a huge benefit. As to accomodating anyone as best we can, we have had players in wheel chairs come and play and we made it so they were able to participate as much as they were physically able (no combat, but she was one hell of a merchant and everyone loved to stop by her tent and check out here wares!). Dietary concerns are a little trickier, depending on what they are. If you have a very broadbased allergy or food issue (such as dairy) then bringing your own food is probably best, since they try to cook on a pretty low budget, making large batches of things is easiest and using very general ingredients is much cheaper. However, I don't do the cooking around there, so maybe plan to bring your own food the first game and talk with those who are doing food prep and see what kinds of things could be worked out if you were going to NPC on a regular basis. Welcome and hope you come to love the game!

I'm Jesse. I'm the staff member that usually takes care of the food. I'll post the menu that we had from the last Oregon event.
I haven't planned the Menu for the upcoming May event. I generally try to have the food such that everyone can eat at least part of each meal.

January 2009 Event Staff and NPC Menu

Saturday:

Breakfast: 9:30am-11:00am

Sausage Patties, Scrambled Eggs, Hash browns patties, Pancakes (available toppings include: Margarine, Butter, Strawberry Jam, Maple Syrup

Drinks: Apple Juice, Orange Juice, Hot Chocolate, and Milk.

Lunch: 1:30pm-3:00pm

Tacos: Available ingredients include: Flour Tortillas, Corn Tortillas, Ground beef (unseasoned), Refried beans, Graded Cheddar Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Mushrooms, Mild Taco Sauce, Mild Salsa. Tortilla Chips.

Dinner: 5:30pm-6:00pm

Roastbeast (beef), Mashed potatoes (unseasoned), Corn, Garlic bread, French bread, Mixed Fruit (canned)

Sunday:

Breakfast: 9:30am-11:00am

Sausage Patties, Scrambled Eggs, Hash browns patties, Pancakes (available toppings include: Margarine, Butter, Strawberry Jam, Maple Syrup

Standby Food: Always available.

Peanut butter and Jelly Sandwiches, Chips, Gatorade, Bottled water.

That should give you a general idea of what food is prepared.

Jaerin said:
It does sound like many NPC's would be better off going the PC route and bringing their own food, rather than impose on the quartermaster of the event to cater to their restrictions.
It somewhat depends on what you want out of the experience. There is a financial incentive to NPC, even if you have to bring much of your own food. Being a PC gives you generally more RP opportunities and consistency, but NPCing is rewarding in its own right. Ask Plot why they do what they do for free. Helping to run a fun game can sometimes be as fun as playing it.

Hey Jesse, It sounds like you guys are pretty organized on the food-end. For anyone without any dietary restrictions it sounds like perfectly acceptable sustenance. I don't personally have any medical dietary restrictions, but as a lifestyle choice I choose to eat as healthy as possible. That means no trans-fats (alas poor Skittles, i knew ye well), as much organic as possible, and low-sodium if possible (any non-meat item over 150mg/8 oz serving is out, like Prego sauce @ 1,100mg / 8oz, or tasty tasty Cheetos @ 2,320mg per 8 oz serving!). According to nutritionists, 500mg is all a human tends to need in 1 day's worth of sodium intake. The American Heart Association puts an upper limit of 2,300mg sodium/day. 1 8oz bag of Cheetos exceeds the 'safe' upper limit all by itself!

Unfortunately the above choices do tend to be more expensive options for a lifestyle, so I would not ask you guys to painstakingly read labels, and spend 50-200% more for an item to acquire the low-sodium version or the organic version. Plus when I first switched to lower sodium items, the taste took some time to .... appreciate (salt is apparently very tasty). I would plan to bring my own food to any/all events, but maybe dip into the communal juices if they were Simply Orange or one of the other 100% juice not-from-concentrate versions available.

Speaking of buying things, is there a town near the usual sites for the Oregon chapter, wherein one can purchase additional groceries, or duct tape, or other items?

I have PM'd 'oregonplot' but have not yet received a response on the chapter history or the character submission requirements. Once I have those I'll update the original post.

Membership of $15-$20/year is perfectly reasonable.

Jaerin said:
Unfortunately the above choices do tend to be more expensive options for a lifestyle, so I would not ask you guys to painstakingly read labels, and spend 50-200% more for an item to acquire the low-sodium version or the organic version. Plus when I first switched to lower sodium items, the taste took some time to .... appreciate (salt is apparently very tasty). I would plan to bring my own food to any/all events, but maybe dip into the communal juices if they were Simply Orange or one of the other 100% juice not-from-concentrate versions available.

Speaking of buying things, is there a town near the usual sites for the Oregon chapter, wherein one can purchase additional groceries, or duct tape, or other items?

Unfortunately I mix up all the above juices from concentrates simply for cost effectiveness.

The town of Silverton is nearby to to Silver Falls State Park. I know there is a Safeway there. I am not certain of what other stores are available there.

There is also a QFC.

Back