Noobie Questions

Good morning, I'm a recently arrival to the Seattle area and looking for a live action game. I've played many in the past (and only dabbled with NERO) but I'm not familiar with the Seattle Alliance setting or system.

Is there an online resource where I can learn more about your game setting and system so I can come up with a thumbnail concept to discuss with your staff? Nothing fancy, I'd just like something that fits the setting and atmosphere. I can be reached by PM or at: tristan.catesby@gmail.com

Thanks!

Essentially, the setting is medieval fantasy.

The important thing to remember is that the Alliance game is no longer called NERO. There were two NERO games at one point (NERO Alliance and NERO International) and lots of bad blood between the two groups management. As such, NERO Alliance was changed to just be Alliance.

You know, there really isn't a comprehensive online resource for the Alliance Seattle setting. The intent is that when you pick a race/class combo you are given the race packet. You can then create a character that is consistent with the race packet. Everything else is supposed to be FOIG (Find Out In-Game). Technically.

As for rules and stuff I recommend getting in touch with someone that has a rulebook or come attend one of our events. Unfortunately, the current edition of the rules are not published electronically, but the next edition (rumored to be released early next year) will have an electronic version available.

But, since you have played other LARPs...

- Alliance is boffer only. No latex weapons.
- Class Based Point-Buy skill system
- Extremely anal about safety
- Vancian magic system (i.e. similar to D&D spell memorization)

I am sure other people with experience with other LARPs can help identify key differences between this game and others.

I'm always available to meet with new players and discuss the game and give them advice; from character concepts and design, to rules, to weapon building and use.

I'm one of the walking rulebooks. :p

Thanks for the quick reply! I'd love to see about getting one of these race/class combo packet for something (that I hope is) fairly vanilla. Perhaps if I describe it folks can make a recommendation:

Character Concept:
An relatively inexperienced student of modest means traveling across the realms learning about the history, cultures, personalities and world in general. While he possesses a small measure of academic knowledge, he's eager to compare it to the "real world". Professionally, probably something that minimizes combat* to reflect his cloistered up-bringing in a primarily urban setting (healer, physician, scribe, natural sciences, philosophy, metaphysics, etc). Culturally, some fairly neutral or modest nation with a modicum of entanglements to support his ability to travel more freely (i.e. Switzerland). Racially, I'm inclined to human since they seem the most prevalent and generic in fantasy settings, if this holds true in the Alliance world setting.

Thanks for the offer to meet to hammer out details and questions, Sarah. I've moved to the Ballard area of Seattle and still learning the city, but I can meet anywhere physically or virtually with (forgiving) directions. :)

*Out-of-game, I have no problem participating in physical boffer combat with the best of them. Though, in this concept I suspect I'll mostly be on the receiving end. :)

Back