Not a quick question

Balryn

Some questions for rule people to comment on- I haven't seen these written down and I wanted to know what the current ruling in our chapter. I don't mind everyone's input, but would like a Marshal from Seattle to give the official call in the chapter. Thanks!

1-If you are setting a trap and get hit by a prison....

What happens?

a- do you take the trap effect and only you take the effect because the prison "contains" it?

b- do you not take the effect because you are prisoned and everyone within five feet takes the trap effect?

c- does the prison not interrupt the "trap setting" and just delay the "trap setting" count for ten minutes or until the prison is taken down by the caster? (being the trap and the setter are both frozen exactly how they were?)

d- other?

2- If you are setting and/or disarming a trap and get his by an effect that takes away your ledgermain skill (such as a drain effect), does the trap go off? (i.e. in setting it, you can't complete the sixty count to set it and the 2nd one- you are touching a trap and no longer have the proper skill to do so)

3- Can a spell (aka packet), be used to set off a trap if it is actually a thrown spell with an incant? (I know you can Destroy/Shatter a trap, but what about healing one?)

4- Can a Wall of Force, Ward, or COP be cast in a large movable room such as a wagon or a ship?

5- Can a Wall of Force be cast flat against the ground if there is a portal flat on the ground? (I.E. If there is a hole/tunnel going straight down into the ground, can a Wall of Force be used to seal the top off?)

Thanks rules people!

1- B. The prison going up disrupts your ability to set the trap, which then detonates according to the rules. Being in a prison, you are not affected.

2- Yes.

3- No.

4- I am inclined to say yes, especially in the case of a wagon; however, the act of doing so fixes the object in place for the duration of the effect.

5- I am inclined to say yes.

For number one, wouldn't the trap be in your possession, or is it no longer in your possession because it's on the ground? But it is in your possession for the purposes of a shatter, destroy, or disarm. So it would get prisoned with you, wouldn't it? Thereby enacting the ever popular "Chunky Salsa" effect from Shadowrun?
Keeping combat gooey,
~Matt

Thanks for the quick response Dan!

With those ideas above, here are a few other items I wanted to get some input on-

1- B. The prison going up disrupts your ability to set the trap, which then detonates according to the rules. Being in a prison, you are not affected.

Okie dokie. But like Matt said, is a trap being set in your possession? I could defer from the rules that it is not, since it cannot be carried while setting. The wording in the book says you have to have both "hands on" the trap when arming. If it is not in your "possesion" that would infer that a disarm, shatter, destroy, enflame wouldn't affect the trap while it is being armed since it isn't a possession if it's being armed on the ground.

4- So if a ward was cast on a tent, wagon, or boat it would be immobile for the duration of the effect. In cases of a smaller effect (let use COP as an example) is cast on a moving ship, would this cause huge amounts of damage to the ship or does it just mystically stop the whole thing? (May need a plot type person to answer that one)

5- I know it's been ruled you cannot sit/stand on a circle of power, so if a wall of force is flat on the ground is it likewise unusable to stand on?

Some questions for rule people to comment on- I haven't seen these written down and I wanted to know what the current ruling in our chapter. I don't mind everyone's input, but would like a Marshal from Seattle to give the official call in the chapter. Thanks!

1-If you are setting a trap and get hit by a prison....

What happens?
b- do you not take the effect because you are prisoned and everyone within five feet takes the trap effect?

As I indicate above: B. Note that you will need to be hit by the prison, rather than casting or activating it on yourself, since you would need to interrupt yourself to do so. (For casting, definitely, and I feel comfortable with the intent of the rules to say that activating should fall in line with that.)

2- If you are setting and/or disarming a trap and get his by an effect that takes away your ledgermain skill (such as a drain effect), does the trap go off? (i.e. in setting it, you can't complete the sixty count to set it and the 2nd one- you are touching a trap and no longer have the proper skill to do so)

Yes.

3- Can a spell (aka packet), be used to set off a trap if it is actually a thrown spell with an incant? (I know you can Destroy/Shatter a trap, but what about healing one?)

Yes. Per the rules, even if an OOG effect such as a headbanded NPC walks through the area or the wind triggers your trap, your trap was triggered. However, the intent is not to have people simply resorting to OOG means to set off traps, such as going "Oh my, traps! I'll go OOG and walk through, then come back and be IG again!", thus I'd discourage simply throwing packets without casting a spell.

4- Can a Wall of Force, Ward, or COP be cast in a large movable room such as a wagon or a ship?

This is currently in discussion. The intent is not to make indestructible travelling objects, however, so don't expect to get anything cool out of the deal. (Trust me, I want an indestructible ship too. *grin*)

5- Can a Wall of Force be cast flat against the ground if there is a portal flat on the ground? (I.E. If there is a hole/tunnel going straight down into the ground, can a Wall of Force be used to seal the top off?)

No. The Wall of Force should be "truly vertical". If you're a believer in that "elliptically orbed Earth" theory, then the line should extend directly away from the center of the "planet". For us flat-earthers, it means "going straight up from Eightch-Eee-DubbleHockeyStix". ;)

Thanks rules people!
[/size][/quote]

Okie dokie. But like Matt said, is a trap being set in your possession? I could defer from the rules that it is not, since it cannot be carried while setting. The wording in the book says you have to have both "hands on" the trap when arming. If it is not in your "possesion" that would infer that a disarm, shatter, destroy, enflame wouldn't affect the trap while it is being armed since it isn't a possession if it's being armed on the ground.

Interrupting a trap setting sets it off. There is no precedent for things happening "inside the prison" vs. "outside the prison" within the rulebook or addendum. So, simply put, the rules state:
Interrupting a trap setting sets it off.
Being under the effects of Prison means calling no effect to everything except massive mechanicals, etc.

jpariury said:
There is no precedent for things happening "inside the prison" vs. "outside the prison" within the rulebook or addendum. So, simply put, the rules state:
Interrupting a trap setting sets it off.
There is a precedent regarding that anything on you is in the prison and cannot be affected by external forces, so it would make some sense that one of those items wouldn't be able to affect things outside the prison. But that would only happen if the trap was ruled to be a possession while you are setting it.

If it's not a possession, then it would be outside the prison anyways.

Barry

Actually, that sort of isn't true. If you are in a Prison, and someone casts Dispel Magic on you, you are still capable of Baning it with Bane vs Protection/Enhancement (presuming you had one).

jpariury said:
Actually, that sort of isn't true. If you are in a Prison, and someone casts Dispel Magic on you, you are still capable of Baning it with Bane vs Protection/Enhancement (presuming you had one).
If you can bane something that would mean that all of your protectives are outside of the prison, so any protectives- a spellshield, reflect, poison shield, or magic armor would activate if you got hit.

If that isn't true, that bane ruling doesn't make any sense whatsoever if they are going to keep the protective effects consistent across the board.

~Barry

Balryn said:
If you can bane something that would mean that all of your protectives are outside of the prison, so any protectives- a spellshield, reflect, poison shield, or magic armor would activate if you got hit.

You would think, wouldn't you? Unfortunately, this was the ruling handed down many moons ago.

If that isn't true, that bane ruling doesn't make any sense whatsoever if they are going to keep the protective effects consistent across the board.

Agreed. All I can say on this is "don't kill the messenger".

jpariury said:
Agreed. All I can say on this is "don't kill the messenger".
Who said anything about killing the messenger?

~I was always much more interested in a good maiming!

:p

Back