Not quite foam not quite latex...

Alright here's the low down. My friend makes foam weapons for larps. But not foam pipe insulation but custom soft and hard foam weapons (and potion vials, throwing weapons, and ect). I can't see why they would not pass. The soft foam is like open cell. It can be squished to nothing then spring back into shape. The hard foam is like the pipe insulation. firm but if a firm squeeze you can feel the core. Items are not too whippy and within length and height restrictions. Is there a reason why this type of weapon would not pass?

The soft ones sound fine; but for the harder ones, if you can feel the core or if the foam is not at least 5/8" thick on the striking surface, they will probably not pass...it's really up to your local Marshals to make the final call on the matter, though.

-Luke

MissDragGunn said:
Alright here's the low down. My friend makes foam weapons for larps. But not foam pipe insulation but custom soft and hard foam weapons (and potion vials, throwing weapons, and ect). I can't see why they would not pass. The soft foam is like open cell. It can be squished to nothing then spring back into shape. The hard foam is like the pipe insulation. firm but if a firm squeeze you can feel the core. Items are not too whippy and within length and height restrictions. Is there a reason why this type of weapon would not pass?

unfortunately it is difficult to judge over a message board. Your best bet is if you can borrow the weapon to show a marshal/HoR at your local chapter. They will be able to tell you if it is good or not.

I am currently making more of a fencing style sword using 2x 1/3" cores and camping map used in layers.
While the camping mat is not 'pipe insulation' it is the same Polyethylene and not Elastomeric (which is the marshmallowy stuff and tears open way too easily).
Keys: can't feel the core and limited/no sharp edges to the foam.

How are you securing the layers? I've worked with several swords built of layered camp foam, and while I personally felt they were reasonably safe, they do have less give and therefore more felt impact than pipe foam.

contact cement, if I find the striking edge is a bit too tough I will adjust it down and use a bit of open cell or pipe foam accordingly.

That's what I thought. It's not really the striking edge that was the issue in the ones I've played with, it was that the cement added a good bit of weight to foam that is already heavier than pipe foam, and the layers meant it had a great deal less give than a similar full thickness foam would.

Back