November 2022 Rathfall Favorites

ecrath

Scholar
Chicago Staff
Oh wow, another event in the books, that means its time for us to look fondly back at what we were able to accomplish together. I have a some many to share that I will have a personal post in a few hours. But for now, let me know what your favorite parts of exploring Lab 398 were!

***accidentally posed in the IG chat, clearly I still need to recover on some sleep.

I didn't do much this weekend due to some mental health issues that punched me in the face late Friday night but I will say I still had some fun!
My favorites are:
-how kind people were about my panic attack. Seriously never had people to take care of me before and it was nice to feel the love.
-7 hours of ciphers, do I want to do again? Probably not. But would I? Absolutely
- Mini polearm lesson from Rag. I know I am still learning and it was nice that he offered.
- My polearm! It's so awesome! Thank you, Eli!
-The one thing we can't talk about :p
- Getting to tell people about the Selunari of Rathfall. So much lore I got to drop as a PC! It was great.

Last edited:
- internal thoughts "Man, that big eye is going nuts on the damage but I doubt I could jump high enough to hit it. That's a fun boss mechanic...what a second. WTF is that giant beach ball... Uh oh."

- getting whacked repeatedly by two scholars swinging 2 because I refused to kill them to get to the guy behind who controlled them.

- someone hands me formal scrolls to identify. I throw them down in disgust cause I can't read them...

- the Tribunal was...not what I expected, in the best way possible. (And Binar getting multiple dinner invitations from nobles was not how I saw that ending). Particularly proud of the last second thought I had to deflect House Fortinbras' ire back to the sheriff.

- the geodes were fun to interact with, even if I never really found anything I wanted to spend the gems on (the alchemy he had wasn't super useful to me at the time).

- the food was great. It was clear that thought and effort were put in to make that a cut above. Kudos on that.

-Lantern Jack was amazing and terrifying.
-The food was fantastic.
-Room 4 (the first interaction with the eyeballs) was particularly terrifying.
-The tribunal was my first true foyer into politics and I loved it. I loved how terrified I was during it. Not because of impending results, but because Eli has never seen a stone Elf before and thought High Inquisitor Constantine was a vampire. I have the flawed MI to hiss at vampires and was having a hilarious meltdown.

So many good things at Rathfall this time around. When Rathfall is good, it's really good. When Rathfall sucks, it really sucks.

Lantern Jack, nope, nope, nope.

Ciphers and all the journals to build the background.

Exploring the lab rooms was a delight. No lab equipment to pilfer (sad academic face). From the botany lab, walk in incinerator, party store room, the abduction and release of Foresight and Conrad. To the giant book worms. Giant slugs in the stacks was lots of fun. And all the encounters with the Blight Eyes were the right amount of scary. How to blow through cloaks 101.

Every interaction with Master Jonas has been a delight. I enjoy being seen and understood when I in game use words like Lagrange Point. And his offer to get me into an elven key club was great. I now know the solar system! (internal screaming joy noises) Along with the opportunity to get maps, introduced to astrologers, and plainospheres.

Books on thermodynamics and high level mathematics being dropped in game. I never got those tags, expect a detailed request.

Ian's botanist Mist Weaver. He was always hunched over and dragging. I hope that the commitment to the physical role play doesn't have long standing issues. And ever Mist Weaver I spoke to was good. You could tell they each had a scientific passion.

I am interested to see the ramifications of those interactions and the effects of the liberation of the lab and those creatures going forward.

Food was great.

The Tribunal and after was also interesting. Talking to the Counts and leaders of each portion of Rathfall was something that I have wanted to do since we left. The follow up with them and meeting new NPCs was educational. Sorry Dram your the Seneschal now. Archduke Rumil called you that, it's official. I support embassies.

Plans falling apart.

Sylvan Born snowflakes = Trill spots, and breaking Isabo and Auryn. But, Jared knew what was coming and kept his cool.

Walking most of the nobles to their carriages.

Post role play with the good Syr Knight and new High Vindicator. Thank you Alex and Jarred for staying in game until conversation died down.

The whole module with Joseph Saturday night. I didn't know what was coming and I chose to talk to him lots and sit next to him during lunch. I picked up on the queues and read them totally wrong. Also, Jared knowing that I would do one thing without having to ask and me doing the one thing.

Snacks after, and another layer being unearthed.

Finally able to give away my gifts, in the traditional Vornae Gift giving adventures.

I will cast that Whispering Wind, damn it. And there will be a conversation too. Liddia is persistent.

Amanda

Attachments

• received_502185088512032.jpeg
    received_502185088512032.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The tribunal overall went well and went exactly as expected. I enjoyed speaking with the players as Constantine afterwards.

Wanting to go gamble but not wanting to do it as my noble npc so walking in as "Jonny Gambler" at 1AM and somehow winning all of Roff's money, remembering I'm just a no-name npc so betting it all for his last valuable catalyst, and losing.

Watching Ragnarok in battle then him turning around to see the real prop monster

I like how much interest the players put into the lore notes they found. We put a bit of work into writing them, and they did well in helping bringing the lab to life.

Thank you everybody for coming to our second full Rathfall event!

- Rachel and Steph were on a roll this event!
- Do you feel that eating makes the screaming stop?
- The Golem Dance Mod (aka Clefairy Says)
- The Boss fakeout was great, the Eye looked so cool and menacing.
- Being able to Turn Undead storm with Roff at the Tunnel part of the Sat Night fight. I've never used Turn Undead before and we just chained it at the 3 undead NPCs until we made the timer.
- Poor Master Qunari
- the lore pages
- Lantern Jack was scary but not you're screwed scary. Really liked the lore bits of it.
- Literally zoning out for 2 minutes while Ian talked as the bean farmer, only to remember I was still standing in front of him and making an excuse to leave....by walking 10 ft away and just standing there doing nothing.
- The food was great and I love this site.

The Maple Room, the collaborative story telling really sold it for me. Then there's Dramthin...dropping a 10 year old nugget of DeSylvia lore that MAYBE 5 people know...got my eye on you.
Well now I want to know what sweet, sweet DeSylvia lore I missed.

Amanda

¡This event was so much fun! Many wonderful moments, but the stand-outs in no particular order:
  • Pumping Lost One Herschel for 45 minutes on the most random of Mistwalker lore and practices. I dunno if JT was BSing me or not, but I believed every word. Man could sell the ocean to Triton. Likewise when he played the Seneschal later, Dram was taking notes on stuffiness and decorum. Utterly delightful
  • The build-up in tension and anxious tip-toeing through the Tribunal was fraught and impressive. Politics has been a third-rail around here and everyone, NPCS and PCs alike, handled that scene with grace and flexibility. It could have gone off the rails a hundred times, but there was just enough trust and hope that we all pulled it off. Kudos to Binar and Beryl for sitting the hot-seats and keeping their cool
  • Chatting up Master "I Didn't go to 200 years of Mistweaver School to be called" Mistweaver Jonas about Blight mechanics and personal history only to be suddenly pulled aside and spoken to in a low and conspiratorial voice, elf to elf. Spine tingling shift in emotions and direction. Lurved it
  • Blowing up the HippoHawkBunnyMothmanBearRabbiGatorJackalopeThingmaJig with Binar, Desylvia, Bada, Franz, and Liddia - sometimes it's just nice lacing up the Smokin' Boots
  • Ducking behind the Healing Circle while Alexander and Jon rolled thunder with the Flying Eye. Dram knows his limits, and it's 4+ digits of damage
  • Agreeing with Jindiana Jones that "Yes, these objects belong in a Museum!" and then letting her get wholly eaten by the wolves when she stands up at the auction to speak her peace. Can't change an adventurer's spots
  • The investigator's quarrel between the ghostly Mistweavers over the ethics of experimentation on sapient participants. It was a fun and thorny paradox and a neat little mod mechanic. Kudos to both Alex and Stephanie for letting it grind on long enough to showcase the zealotry and ethical culture of the Mistweavers, but no so long that folks got bored
  • The number of mods in general which were more than either Kill-It or Fetch-it. I like murder-mods as much as the next dude (blowing stuff up can be fun), and straight up mechanical-puzzle have their mystique, but I appreciated how many opportunities we had to sit, think, and come up with a new solution in cooperation with the NPCs. It was so much fun and made me feel like PCs were helping to tell the story instead of just listening to it
  • In that same vein, Conrad coming back in our hour of need to help out was just amazing. It was nice to see peaceful and altruistic decisions rewarded
  • Contemplating, discussing, dissecting the late night Vision with DeSylvia and the Apprentice Formalist Sylvanborns (who told me their names several times but I have forgotten) late Saturday evening. Derek's description was exquisitely narrated, but trying to make sense of all the images afterwards was everything I lurve about the role-play Rituals. I dunno if we actually learned anything, but it was an enlightening experience all around
  • Opal the maybe-owner, Bruce the made-Elf, Thomas the light-weight sommelier, Vanya's Rope-burns, Garwon's Where the Wild Things Are Reunion, DeSylvia the Champion KnuckleDuster, and The Rug the Ties The Room Together. Everything about the Maple Room was hilarious and a beautiful example of cooperative story-telling. (oh, and DeSy, your secret is totally safe since you're the only one who had enough Cloaks to resist the Amnesias). Extra thanks to Derek for pulling it squarely from the aire after my random request the Tuesday before game
  • Nay's chili oil sauce. I'm eating it now. You have a life-long customer [nom nom nom]

Last edited:
Time for my favorites:

*Lore drops galore, its super fun with a new setting to see people get engaged in all the small details of a world. Love being able to share those with all of you.
*The late night eyeball ambush. The group that took that on handled a really bad situation really well, the fear was palpible.
*Reactions to Foresight and their origins, as well as the pain of Regret.
*The Dance mod! Peoples reactions were amazing and Rachelle killed it.
*The OOG reaction of Bada realizing that all the blight creatures had been frankensteined together.
*Everyone reacting to the Bigger Badder Eye.
*Insulting the other nobles as Viscount Kindershaw, he had to stay entertained somehow.
*Roff's gauntlet of emotions while explaining the eyeball mechanics.
*Desylvia nearly dropping the giant giant slug on himself
*Dying to Lantern Jack.
*Talking **** about Reggie, damn his family money.

Thank you all so much for making this event a reality. I've been writing stuff for this since just after the first Rathfall event.

Ethan

- Chatting with Dramthin about Ye Olde Caladore/Dragonreach on Tyrra
- Running with people I don't usually fight next to. Atish folks, y'all are fun.
- Jumping on the Werewolf political grenade. "Should I put my name down fo-" "NOPE NOPE SHE WAS JUST NEARBY HAHA"
- Chatting with the high vindicator + other nobles after the tribunal.
- Scarlett is a lady now!
- Lantern jack. I love a boogeyman monster- I love when *we're* not what goes bump in the night. Also, absorb spirit was a great mechanic. Hits hard, spooky as hell, but not unfair.
- The eyeball fakeout. I pooped.
- "Am I allowed to hit the eyeball on a stick?" *scoff* "If you can reach it" Oh honey. I can reach it.
- All of the mistweavers. All of the NPCs, honestly! So much fantastic roleplay, fleshed out characters and a living world.
- Talking with Rufus, the gardener, about how he's doing the REAL work.
- Good fights all around. Rathfall team is a workout.
- The first eyeball mod in the hallway. Spooky as hell, great roleplay by the NPCs- extremely unnerving. And then a damn near TPK (I *love* mods that we all *almost* rez on)
- Zumba class. The only time I've been more terrified by a mod was etiquette class. Rathfall is scary for many reasons.

I tried to get myself Rezzed at Etiquette last year. Clearly they have a high tolerance for improper folk.
I do wonder what the next “class” will be though.

Thanks for running this! Thank you NPC’s and kitchen staff!

In no particular order

- food was delicious

- lantern jack was a fun baddie that was scary and not run away (even if that’s exactly what Klack did)

- The orlocks

- “wel I’m not saying that I did or didn’t”

- dealing with the big eyes and then suddenly here comes the even bigger eye.

- getting to meet new and exciting people that Corbell has met but not done much with and hanging out with them as Klack.

Back