Oct 12 - 14 Feedback

Weather. I can't recall an event where I have been more uncomfortable. The rain was absolutely relentless when things were happening, and it was cold too. But you know what was amazing? Other than some occasional sighs and whatnot, everyone made the best of it. The plot team and NPCs kept the event moving, and kept delivering fun. That, to me, is absolutely amazing in light of the challenges posed by mother nature. Major kudos for that, guys. Your good attitudes really buoyed the event.

Check in. We showed up on Saturday, so I can't speak for Friday night. But check in went really smoothly for us. Thanks to GJ and Al for having everything ready to roll, and taking out time to get us checked in and in game.

Monster Camp. Although a river ran through it, it was really great to have a closer monster camp to come to as a PC wanting to do something. Thanks to GJ and Al (who I think made that happen) for pulling that off. And thanks, again, to the plot team and NPCs for making the best of that, despite the wet ground.

Pace. The pace seemed slower than the last two events. This, I believe, was due mostly to the weather, which made a lot of people (including me!) not so excited to trudge out and fight stuff. The other thing on this is that the jobs board was not posted in the tavern. Jobs came out on Friday night, but a PC had them all. This meant that I was less able to be proactive (grab three people, grab a job, off to monster camp), because I needed to find that PC and get the work from him. I heard later that this was not the plan--that the jobs came out in this way because the physical board was not brought to site. The work-around makes sense in light of that. Hopefully next time the jobs board is back in the tavern in all its glory!! I LOVE having this, and love that you guys put fun opportunities out there in this way!

Food. Thanks for doing food, Al! The hot soup and grilled cheeses were awesome after all of that cold, wet fighting. YUM!

Plotzorz. I love that you guys have a lot of deep plot going on, where as PCs we are sitting there having to learn about and consider NPC motivations and end game goals, not just actions. You are clearly putting a lot of time into developing such a deep story. Keep up the good work!

If I had to offer one piece of constructive criticism, it would be that with so much detail, it can be hard to follow at times. This is also an issue with geography and who is in charge. Not many PCs know where things are or where we are from, how the various NPCs fit in, etc. Or maybe it is just that I am not there for full events, so I am missing parts of this.

I will say that in the midst of challenging and deep plot, it is very satisfying to get those aha moments. Like when Nigel's theory about Sebastian's "look over here" was validated due to some mind work by Joe's new PC. Those kernels can fuel the fires to keep going and wanting to learn more.

As far as specific plot stuff, I like the idea of old world crashing in, and how that plays into the things going on in Dragonsreach. I also perceived the opening of a new chapter of plot, having little, if anything, to do with Sebastian and local political stuff, and everything to do with the fate of the world. I am interested to see how this plays out while the local stuff continues to move forward. I like that there is a lot of stuff going on!

I really, really liked the plot side of the Melgar mod. Showing up to dead bodies everywhere and Melgar bound and gagged - I never in a million years would have predicted that. Awesome, awesome twist that I cannot wait to further explore. As far as the pwnage that followed, it seemed like most non-golems got dropped by endless spell strike drains and hallucinates and everything else. I was on the ground for most of the fight (and almost rezzed, actually!), but I look forward to facing those guys once again!

Prop. I saved it for last for dramatic effect. But dudes. DUDES. That troll costume was absolutely SICK. The neatest part about it--and this is a small detail--is that it had depth. As in, the troll's body, from Travis's front to back, was thick, which matched its arms and legs. It was just so perfectly representing a huge skull thumper. Also, how Travis's head was integrated onto the body, and the cool chin prosthetic. I was just in awe of that coolness.

Ok, I think I far exceeded my word limit here. Definitely looking forward to November guys!!

Joe aka Aurik

I posted on a new thread my favorites and how I felt about the event. Sorry wasn't looking at other threads when I posted :p. I thought this even was freaking fantastic. Chads storytelling really immersed me into the world. Chris did an amazing job with his Sebastian stuff and really added intrique into the game for me. And Travis did awesome at being a spectacular prop monster. Joe and the other NPCs were amazing as usual as well. The fact that they played through that horrid rain was unbelievable and amazing.

That event was spectacular and probably would have been even better had it not been for the rain. Keep up the good work guys.

One moment that I did love and forgot to mention though was the dragon blood junkies. Everything about that set of encounters was amazing. Thank you so much for that.

Chris aka TadRon

I know this is the feedback post but I wanted to say thank you here for the event. I had a great time.

My thank you goes out to our ultra patient and understanding players this weekend. With the weather being the second most miserable that I can remember our players were patient as our team attempted to shift gears, make last minute changes, and alter everything to fit to attempt a fun time for everyone.

I wanted to thank Joe and Becky a great deal for NPCing through the miserable wet. The same goes to Beth... and I apologize, I am just horrible with names and I forget your friend’s name. You have my gratitude for sticking it out with us time and time again. You and yours never balk at our insane NPC schedule not matter how much we beg you to do so. Thank you again.

Thank you to Doug, GJ, and Allison for setting up the mid-way monster camp tent. It really made things much easier with the camp spread out the way it is.

This time I want to thank Chris and Chad. While we all might write the main plot for an event Chris wrote a small novel of extra information, letters, mod write ups, the works (and then an added wing to 'The Works'), for player information plus IBGAs that went above and beyond. I want to thank Chad for the opportunity to play Thomm. Thomm the troll daddy/chief was a concept prop monster built off an idea Chad had built once before. As much as I might have helped in the build a good deal of time building the rep was me standing in a suit while it was constructed around me. The props (pun intended) for that prop monster should go to the engineer responsible for it. I'm just the test pilot, and I had a hell of a fun time fighting in it.

Thanks for the great weekend folks!

Travis
Plot Test Pilot Guy

So many threads, so little to say except....

Thank you PCs. Thank you NPCs. Thank you Plot. Thank you Staff.

Every event, every gathering, we are becoming a stronger and stronger community and I cant thank you all enough.

GJ

Seabass said:
The same goes to Beth... and I apologize, I am just horrible with names and I forget your friend’s name.

That would be me, I'm Kimberly, and I'm terrible with names as well so I won't hold it against you :)

This was definitely the most miserable time I've had NPC-ing, but I can't really hold it against you guys for failing to control the weather.

First I will complain:

I am happy to see that we aren’t going to this camp next season. It is just too spread out and all of the stairs are asking for trouble. I did think that the fights on the beach and in the amphitheater were really cool, and the scenery made them that much better.

NPC River-Tent. I understand why it had to exist, but it provided no break from the cold or wet. We ended up sitting in the car a lot, but then we were worried that we were going to miss out on something since we were away from the group.

The fancy latex weapons seem to get harder in the cold, or maybe those who have them just hit harder in the cold to warm up. Either way those fancy narrow edges really hurt when getting repeatedly smacked with them, so please be mindful of how hard you are hitting with them.

And now the good:

As usual everyone was very friendly and welcoming. If I got hit with something unusual someone nearby would let me know what it did before I even had to ask. I really appreciate that.

The tavern food was hot, wonderful, and just what I needed in that horrid weather.

The late night dragon blood junkie encounter was really fun. It made great use of my overtired silliness. It’s the little things like that make me love being an NPC.

Troll Daddy was great and it was totally worth getting soaked in the field to see the whole thing come together.

See you guys in November!

Big thanks to our plot team. Another solid event, in terrible conditions. I think I missed the worst of it, missing saturday day but I saw the aftermath. Ugh.

I was pretty nervous coming into this event. First time playing a new character in a situation where I OOG knew people, and not having anyone that I was connected to IG already. It was tough. Thanks to our plot team for helping me create a backstory that already connected me to the goings-on. I'm sure they each had a hand in things, but I was getting the E-mails from Chris, so I guess I'll name him. Thank you.

Random thank you's and favorites:
Sparring with.... David? the "not-Jurickson gypsy fighter" before the event. Really calmed my nerves and showed me just how terrible of a shield fighter I am. :thumbsup:
Everyone's distrustful looks. Loved it.
The RP of the Dragon Blood round one. Menotti had some great moments in there. Fantastic.
Of course the Troll-daddy. Wow, didn't get a chance to see him in the light, I hope we got a nice picture.
Loved the vampire mod. "don't worry, it's just a cave north of town" /facepalm

Things I want to do better:
I really want to play up the Mind abilities of my Biata. I am going to work on making it more 'active' I guess. I kinda worried about talking one-on-one to a plot guy all OOG secretative on mods. I wanted to make it more cool RP, but on the other hand, I didn't want to delay the rest of the mod/town. Looking to find a balance.
As a chapter, I think it would be cool to have a general "expected start time." Late starts are the nature of the beast, I get that, but it would be cool if we had a place to start, and they if delays happen fine. I could've gotten a hardcore nap in after check-in but before game, but didn't really know when we were going to get going. Starting late isn't bad, just communicating that we are starting late. Like make sure Logistics knows what's up so we can bug Brigit.

Looking forward to November!

-Joe

Honestly folks! We read and discuss each of these messages. They're important for you to get a better game. I know it's been a few days since the event but, we can't guess what you're thinking. So let us know, worse case we ignore it, a better case is that we attempt to address any issues you had.

I thought the event was great overall, but here are just the things that I experienced and would like to comment on.

If it was raining, then there was a Mod going on. It sounds like a negative until you consider that it was raining ALL weekend. There was always something going on, this is awesome and I love the pace. Even if there wasn't something specifically happening, we got events like the Thirsters. I thought there was a really nice mix of things to do if players wanted to engage the plot and things to do if players wanted plot to come to them. We had it all this weekend!

The opposite side of this is that sometimes it felt like we had TOO much to do. I don't know if that is actually true, but that is just how I felt at the end of it, like there were some things that we didn't get to do because of time constraints, etc. This also made more important things feel less important and vice versa just because I wasn't sure which ones were the things we NEEDED to get done. I don't know if that is really a problem or just my perception of it, and I'm not sure there is a way to "fix" that, just something I perceived.

The campsite felt a lot different to me this time rather than last time. I realize that there aren't many places to run Mods, but I felt we made better use of the space we had. Using the fields, the ampitheather, and the road. Places that, at least I didn't, get a chance to play on last time. It mixed it up and that nice. Having the tent where it was, I felt, was a really nice position. A lot better than the time before. Although I heard a discussion about more advantageous places to put it (i.e. near the tavern) and that could have work out, but it was a lot better position than what we had the time before.

The only thing I can say is that this event it felt like there was a more lax attitude with respect to RP. I don't know if that is due to the tent being near the bathroom/cars, or if that is just because of the rain and people got caught out of character a lot with being couped up, or it was just me not being attentive to it, but that is just something I felt I noticed. I don't really think there is any "fix" for that either,.

Adventuring in a big mixed group was interesting since this is the first time that I've done that since joining I think. It is certainly the first time that it has happened the whole event. Usually it have felt like, higher levels go do their mods, lower levels go do their mods. It was fun to see everyone play and getting the chance to interact with everyone IG was cool. I know that some people really like this style of adventuring. But as a fighter, I really feel ineffective in that environment. I cannot stand behind the higher levels and try to affect the situation by throwing spells or arrows/bolts. I have to be up in the front line to do anything. That means for me that if I'm mixed with higher levels, if the mod is harder and they're getting pwned, then I'm most definitely going to get pwned. If the mod is easier and to my level, the higher level adventurers are going to pwn and I don't have to do anything.

On an IG level this is tricky, since why would my character not want higher levels to go with him? I want the adventure to succeed and accomplish whatever it is I set out to accomplish in whatever way possible. Additionally, what if the lower level plot is something that the higher level character is interested in from a story stand point. It seems like it would be unfair for me to say "don't worry about it, I'll fill you in" when they (or IG char) want to experience it. I understand that when there are only a few low level playersthere is no choice but to adventure with the higher levels, and the dependency/gap of power is something that is neigh unavoidable. I've been trying to bridge this dependency problem by buying (with gobos) a Ward item so we don't HAVE to rely on Tadron for warding our sleeping place and buying a COP so that when we/the gypsies adventure to other planes to set up wayfarer stones we don't HAVE to bring Mathias for the circle.

I just wish we (possibly read "I" since I can't speak for my group) could feel more effective for certain tasks. The one adventure where we did go solo (the first part of the double hook) we got housed. This is partly due to the group not working as a group and not being prepared (we should have stuck to the plan and started running as soon as we rifted). But that is just one of those poopoo moments where I felt really frustrated. So it seemed like my character (and possibly me) were really ineffective for this event. Either I had to hide behind the higher levels on the adventure because the higher level things were getting their beating sticks ready, or the higher levels were just roflstomping the easier things that I could possibly take care of, or I was getting housed.

Again (and I know this is frustrating since I'm only presenting problems and no solutions, sorry!!) I don't know if there is a "fix" for this, since it is mostly dependent on me and the characters around me (either higher or lower). Just sharing my experience.

Overall I really loved the event. Prop-Monster=awesomeness. I like that we had Jobs again, and Nigel holding them all could have been a lot worse. That is what his character has set himself up in the world to be (the inbetween so to speak) and I thought that it really good to alright. Instead of reading a piece of paper you got to speak IG with someone who tried to convey the situation with you and this maybe took some pressure off of plot to do it (maybe?? I don't actually know). Anyway, I thought that it was a well-received way to do jobs. And finally (my last comment) I find myself really enjoying NPCing because we have a great, friendly and enjoyable to be around group of plot (except for Chad, I hate that guy :p ). They have always been welcoming to me NPCing and helping me learn even though I probably screw it up more often than not.

Can't wait for November!!

Zack I wanted to jump in and reply to your feedback because part of it sounded like it was full of questions. I would like to take a moment to answer them, but this is purely from my point of view as a veteran player, not a staffer or one of the heads of plot. Please keep that in mind with this responce.

I think that part of the frustration you feel is largely the in-game frustration we have all felt starting out. Every question and problem you posed are totally legit troubles, but I could almost hear your words switch gears from you to your character as I read. I want to just highlight a few points you brought up that might help you find a boost to your enjoyment/approach of the game. Everyone has to find their own of course, but this might give you some insights.

As plot we attempt to walk the razor thin line that is functional game vs. immersive story telling world. Often times the difference comes down to math. Too much math and it's like playing any other game like table top, PC or console gaming, like maybe WoW. Too much story means everyone is just sitting around watching another fantasy movie they can't participate in. This example is important because most players that come to LARPs play in them because of just how different and fun they are from the games and movies we can enjoy any time. Still those games and movies are what set our expectations when it comes to our brand of fun.

So, for instance, if you were in almost any RPG game and you were fifth level stepping up to a twenty-fifth level character you would definitely die. In a LARP there are human elements that come into play that no game can replicate. Because of that we don't think with the human elements, we instead contimplate the numbers because it's what we have always done. Actual fighting skill can turn tides, group communication and leadership, boredom, distractions, weather... all of it is more real and become part of the game. Want to wax the highlevel? Nothing is immune to a circle beat down... especially the moron that set their weapons down and walked away from them to get a glass of water, or is asleep... etc.

So the game still needs to get the level challenges right for the people playing... but sometimes the challenges are out of control in a huge way... and then they suck right in the middle of your town and you all have to throw down. You can still only get that kind of thing, and still have it be a good thing, in a LARP. You are a fighter, while you can't throw out the big numbers yet there is nothing that says you can't block for the highlevel with the two hander, or the healer. As player that uses two handers I can say for certain that a competent shield at my side makes me into a terrible thing. You can also drag back those that are down to those that have healing and must be protected. It's more often the simplest things that get missed that will make any big fight fold rather than big stuff. For example my first event I had nine spells and I was locked in a cabin while the worst fears of the high levels attacked us like fishes in a barrel for the WHOLE WEEKEND. The lesson then was harsh but worked... be useful or die. The only limiter you will place on yourself is thinking with just the numbers (ie math) the game gives you. The sky is the limit, you can do whatever you can pull off.

Now for your interaction with the highlevels and story that completely rides on the shoulders of us as players. How much DO you let them in on? How much are they keeping from you? You can't yet belive how much frustration comes in game from players not knowing or understanding what the heck is going on... only to find out later on that plot sent out TONS of information about what is happening to lots of different people.... none of whom are talking to each other. More so use that drive to get the damn random high level healers and casters out of your group so you can take care of yourselves to do just that. Or find challenges that don't require someone come along, or find new ways to take on big challenges, etc... The "game" is "the world" and yet, ultimatly, the game only owes you a challenge with a good story... the world owes you diddly. You have to find out what you want and go get it. Otherwise the alternative is just waiting for things to come hit you in face... forever.

Now the Trast mod is both a good and a terrible example. I can now speak to this as the plot guy that ran it for you. Communication to you guys as players was ok at best but you had an idea what to expect and a plan to handle it. While I could have done better there I don't feel like I let you down. Now with the players that double hooked for you it was a different story. There were seven when I started which turned into 'everyone else'. They should have had a much more clear understanding what I was asking of them but I rushed it and they didn't, so in that regard I, as a plot guy, did let you down. For that I'm sorry, I'm still learning too. Still you said it dead on when you said you should have stuck to the plan and worked as a group. Your team had a plan but when the sudden rush hit you froze and couldn't respond before it was too late. While the numbers were too high for my suddenly large number of NPCs for the 'math balance' the sudden explosion action was always part of the plan. It's possible that if I had all of those monsters with lower math the same could have feasibly happened. It was a learning experience for you guys both in and out of game, and to your credit I never thought I needed to pull any punches with you. I've seen you handle stuff you mathematically shouldn't have, so I wanted to challenge you with something that contained a more human element. Take from that experience whatever lessons you can and become bigger badasses, more so in ways that have nothing to do with numbers. In the mean time I'll take my lesson from proper doublehook set up and try to only splatterhouse you guys when it's really fun.

I don't know if any of this helps you but I hope some of it might. Once again I'm only speaking as myself here and not in any formal capacity. This was a lesson I learned from those that got me started in the game... but I don't know that I truly learned it until later on when I experienced it for myself. I'm just hoping this might help you find your own way to turn as many of your frustrations into fun personal challenges in the game. For everything else that you can't, there is the plot team.

Cheers,
Travis

This is primarily a response to Travis, and it is just a really personal response about me, but as part of the larger discussion I figured I would just post it here.

First of all, let me say thanks!! Both for the advice as a veteran and for being one of the heads of plot. I like having an open discussion about how I can bring something to the table in terms of the game because as I am still figuring things out. I really, honestly, appreciate your dialogue here.

So I, personally, am having trouble with switching from IG/OOG level all the time. So that is most likely why my post has traces of both in it. This probably somewhat has to do with the fact that my character (Jurickson) is just a carbon copy of myself. While this makes it easier to "get into the game" by focusing on combat, the rules, etc, it also takes me out of the game element a little because I can't distinguish which of the two people I'm thinking for. This probably contributes to the fact that I'm having a hard time roleplaying and finding myself in the world. That is easily the part I am struggling with the most. Even while NPCing, I find it hard to roleplay, I'm not sure why but maybe that is just a natural barrier people have to overcome when first starting out? I think part of that is that I understand that I'm part of this world, and I don't want to screw up and ruin some part of the event for other people. The numbers game and the balance with the roleplay is something that I completely understand and the immersion into the world in general, but that is what makes the game unique, interesting and fun.

This contributes to my unease for playing with higher levels. I don't want to feel like a burden to someone, or that they have to do something for me. I've helped them form shield walls and what not, but I'm always afraid of "what happens when I drop?" I don't want them to feel like they have to pick me up (and certainly they are free to do what they want, so I know they don't necessarily feel that way) but it is just a feeling that I personally get. Anyway, I'm still trying to find out how I can be useful, not only for my group but for the town in general. And I'm also having a hard time trying to distinguish between the person and their character. Just something that I also have to figure out.

The immersion with the world is interesting since the game is the world and the world is the game. To that regard, it is frustrating to try to figure out the information sometimes, but that is just how interactions go qua relationships. It is just, again, realizing that the game and the world are intertwined. This is definitely something I need to figure out, and my relation with the world/game/rules in general. The frustration in terms of information being thrown my way, as well as OOG advice for IG actions, is sometimes all over the place and sometimes I get people telling me contradictory things IG and OOG. I just have to figure that part out for myself, but it is a challenge sometimes.

I just wanted to let you know that I did not mean for my previous post to sound nagging or that I was complaining for punches to be pulled. I actually do like the challenge, and I'm pretty sure that my group does as well, I was just voicing my frustration on an IG level. For example in the Trast mod, we could have easily overcome if we had stuck to the plan. I don't think that it was ridiculously overpowered to the point where we could not do anything at all. We had our window and we just watched it shut. This contributed to my feeling ineffective since I couldn't do anything, but that was limited by me

This is all probably too personal about me, but that is just where I'm coming from and how these things are effecting my perspective of the game and this all contributed to my previous post. It is a lot of what I need to work on, haha, but I think that talking about it does actually positively affect my experience of the game.

Overall thanks for your advice! It is definitely helpful and I'm going to try some new things at the next event in terms of how I play my character and what not. I think a big part of the game is confidence (I was told that about fighting coming into the game, but now I think that it carries over to the entirety of the game). I think the biggest worry I have is that my confidence will infringe on others and that it then turns to arrogance. So I'm just trying to balance all of that IG and OOG. If you have any other advice, I'm all ears. Or if anyone has anything to say, I'm open to listening to that too.

Zach, new players are the life blood of this game. So that should never be an excuse is to why something is bad. It's certainly more on plot then it is on you, if there were problems.

In regards to roleplaying, there are two things that will help you get a better feel for your character. One is getting into a plot.

When I was younger I had this same problem. My character was a carbon copy of myself with a shitty name. I decided I wanted to get super into nature stuff, with that came hate for undead and chaos, and a better costume, and I grew as a player. As I got more comfortable becoming the ranger guy I wanted to be, people noticed and now everyone praises me for how awesome I am. (That's what happens when I'm not around right?) So figure out what you want from Jurickson (or maybe a totally new character), and get started, submit an IBGA, work on a costume, etc.

Hatred's are a great way to just give your character depth. Pick something that's common enough, Undead, Elementals, etc and go for it. It'll be an easy way to get involved in any plots that involve those things.

The other way is to play a cool part npcing. Something that's role-play intense, a character that you don't have to worry about you can just play the part and go. I'm happy to help find a part for you. Once you have that one awesome part, it'll be easier.

Lastly, don't worry about screwing up. It's a game. Do you worry about dying in Halo? No probably not. You probably will screw up, I still screw up. It happens. Just move on. Even the largest of screw ups can be fixed, and certainly don't let it ruin the game for you.

I just want to put a couple thoughts out there for you Zach and any of the younger players. I am level 14 so kinda small but not too bad. I have been playing Kit for a year and half now and just recently hit my stride despite heavy larp and rp background. It can be really hard to develop a full character as you dont realize coming in with a rich background story is an option and most new players dont. I agree with Chris try to pick a detail about your character and really run with it.

Let me suggest focus on being a gypsy could go a long way. Gypsies are the biggest family in the game and when you focus on inter gypsy rp your events become really rich. Gypsies come first and last even before guild mates. It is an interesting and often conflicting character motive. I actually formed a gypsy facebook for chi/mn gypsies since we play cross chapter often and it adds a lot to the rp. I suggest you guys do the same thing.

Also as far as feeling frustrated in combats dont. Every person plays an important role when they realize what it is. For instance in the vampire cave mod you and the other gypsies gaurding and caring for the enslaved pile was really important and may of saved lives. Take pride in that. Learn to call for help when something is overpowering and learn to call ok we have this when your holding the line well. Most players will respond well to this. It adds rp and order to a battle plus increases the effectiveness of you and the other younger adventurers. One other not if you are outmatched by something, dont worry about killing it..sometimes holding the line and fighting defensively can be just as important to the overall situation.

Anyway soon enough your have some toys under your belt and feel much more effective. Just dont forget where you came from when the next batch of new players comes in.

Ps also to the young gypsies I was in mourning otherwise I would have tried to hang with you guys more..but you guys did well rp wise in my mind, keep it up

Don’t thank me yet, you have evoked a long winded answer as this is a topic I love to discuss. Hopefully this small novel might help a little bit.

Here are a few facts that might make you feel better. Almost everyone's first character is a copy of themselves with some kind of twist. Often their second character is their near-opposite. So what you are doing is exactly what is supposed to happen when starting out in a LARP. The trick to your character development now is to get comfortable with the mechanics of the game and then, and this is the important part, let the game happen to your character. Strife, challenge, failures, successes, and so on will shape the character for you.

My personal example is my main Zane. He started out a copy of me with an evil/harsh cruel streak. Now he is something of an extreme example as I have been playing that character for approaching near two decades now. Through the plot he was involved in and the plot written for him (or those around him) he redeemed himself into something of a violent anti-hero good guy rather than the militant sociopath necromancer he started out. I could personally never write the course or scope of that story as more than ten+ plot people, and even more chapters, made their mark on it/him. Since I was sixteen when I started him I'll even go so far to say that after a few years I started using Zane as the template of what I wanted to become as a person, and then slowly adjusted myself to match the values and attitude I pretended to have... until I actually had them. So for me my main was me, then his own character, then me again, and has since moved on ahead again. Once again this is a very extreme example but it shows what can be possible when you eventually relax and let your character do the walking/talking.

The separation of the world and the game isn't cut and dry, and the feel can vary depending on the plot team. The game is the only the function of the immersion, or how you interact with in the scope of the skills of the game. However that is only the most base and simplest way to interact with it. People often ignore or just flatly accept functions like this because they are just that, functions within the game. Your role-play is the higher motivation for using your skills and interacting with the world. For example Zane had two adopted sons played by my younger brothers. They paiged for several years before playing. A paige can never die (they are too young to participate in combat) but players can point a weapon at them and say "I slay you paige". The paige would then have to walk out of sight and three count back into game. This was considered just a fun function/rule of the game until I realized that people were actually "killing" my kids in the story/role-play of the world, even if it was a temporary effect. So I started taking it very personally and roughing people up or straight up attacking for the offence. Players were very taken aback by this because it was just a rule in the game and a way to mess with a paige... but they still couldn't argue the facts with me in game. I made the in-game role-play world out weigh the function of the game... and thus mean something more than it did on paper. The more you can do that the more intense the game will feel for you. That is a very simple but plain example of taking the 'world' into the 'game'.

When it comes to our chapter, and this plot team's personal style, some challenges will come looking for you, but more often than not some challenges just are. Forces in the world, if they remain unaddressed, as plot we will progress them as we feel they would progress. This will take into consideration all the other factors of the world that could affect one another. For instance some powerful group that was thwarted by the players moves into contested lands in order to escape, and how the denizens of said lands respond to it. Even things that the players have never seen, barely heard of, or are unaware of continue to function and thrive. Some games are very player centric and only what they are involved with changes in any significant way. That can be easier to track for players and plot, but if done our way when the "AH-HA!" moment comes (if it's done right of course) it's way more fulfilling and drastically more rewarding.

The reason I pointed this out is because it highlights that we write "The Game" for you but "The World" just is. The players can sit idle and it will continue to spin, progress, get better, or possibly much worse. The most important thing to know, which I am fairly sure you have already begun to understand since you often PC and NPC with us, is that it will respond to you and reward you for your efforts, not just showing up. The more effort you put into your characters wants/needs/desires the more we know what sort of game you are trying to play. When you find a goal for your character run after it, work for it, make sure everyone knows you want it and it will start to shape your character for you, and the rewards will be more fulfilling and drastically more rewarding.

Make sure you have a simple and clear character history. I could write forever on that but I’ve already talked too much here. Just have a simple story about where you came from, even if only in your head. Don’t be the only child of a murdered ninja clan looking for revenge and his fathers fiery sword DoomMakerTheWorldMesserUper. That’s just dumb and makes no sense for a first level to begin with. Be a soilder's son off to make his mark, the youngest child out to prove his worth, and so on. If you want to really be different write a story where both of your parents are still alive. Trust me when I say that is just crazy in an adventuring town.

As a side note (and you’ll just have to trust me on this) if you can limit your character in any way… a hatred for a certain race, refusing to use celestial magic, the inability to ever killing blow anything due to your beliefs, a set of personal rules to never use edged weapons, or if you get powers a weakness to fire… whatever, and you really stick to it/embrace it you’ll find your character will grow faster and with more depth than ever before.

Cheers,
Travis

Back