Oct Event Critique

FOIGofWar

Artisan
No grades, just for Mike V. :)

+First of all, I think the utilization of the site was good for the weather. A couple actions down by the river was good to stretch the field.

+There seemed to be a good variation of effects, and a good utiliation of multiple weaknesses to allow everyone a spotlight shot.

+Dinner was freakin' awesome. Not a plot critique, obviously, but needed to be said again.

+The "Running of the Goblins"was awesome, and made a lot of sense (there's supposed to be a lot of large goblin populations in Brittington). I would have liked to have seen the threat follow them, but understand the NPC availability issue, and removing a third of the runners to have a weak force follow them in would definitely have been a worse choice.

+/- While I had no problems with the pacing of the event (I kinda needed a lot of open time to get things done the way I needed to) I could see it having been "slow" for many people. The fact that when we had things pop in to pull people out, the number of people jumping for them kept increasing as the weekend went on.

-The main thread seemed, I dunno, flat for some reason. It was a lot of information I didn't know (which for me is *always* a pleasant surprise) but it just seemed... less than awe inspiring. I saw a giant dragon-thing I never new existed before. I squared off against a monstrosity apparently riding on two giant Remorrhaz like they were skis. Yet the thing that impressed me most was the repping of bottles from another chapter. Don't know what to say about that except that it's probably not good.

-NPCs need to be *obvious* about being out of game. I know it's cold and you're tired, but "hand below chin with weapon on the cheek" is not a valid repping of OOG. Especially when that hand is not the one facing the PCs.

-You're never going to regularly get adventurers to kneel to nobles they've known for years (and in many cases have greater resources than) if you're not going to prep your farmers to do it. This one's been a comment for years and remains unchanged. Really guys, it's not so hard to put up a couple of pictures with the heading "kneel to these people" by the door, or at least tell your NPCs "when in doubt,take a knee." When you have a noble and a squire having an exchange of "I'll bet you a gold apiece these five farmers walk past me without kneeling/That's okay, Your Excellency, I don't want to owe you five gold," you have a fail.

-NPCs need to make a greater attempt to not saunter through live areas while OOG. There is no reason I should need to repeatedly abate my charge towards an enemy because an NPC simply keeps walking in front of me... never mind that there is NO EARTHLY REASON for an NPC to walk between me and a target I'm currently swinging at.

-NPCs walked into my unwarded cabin without a marshal present- again. This time fortunately they walked in to look for PCs, found none, and left... but really that needs to be done without crossing the threshold.

Overall, I left the event feeling like we were just about to start it- a failure of cinematic climax. I'd have rather have played the winter writeup, which is generally bad for a LIVE ACTION game.

Back