Ogres and the Voyage to Garthok

Traceroo

Rogue
Greetings Brave and Intrepid Adventurers of Acarthia,

His Excellency Baron Eldred Morningtide of Tiatar, Lord Ambassador of the Duchy of Acarthia, has called all of us to travel to far north Garthok to treat with the ogre tribes there.

Our goal: Remind and inform the various tribes of their ancient agreement to be stewards of the land and defend against necromancy as their ancestors promised to do. Acarthia hopes that with the aid of the ogre tribes, we can crush the threats of necromancy that face us -- for those threats to Acarthia are many. Corrupted seeds may have been planted in Acarthia's forests, with their twisted, magical influence growing there even now. We hope the ogres can help free the forests of corruption. We must convince some of the ogre tribes to travel southward from far north Gathok to aid Acarthia in the coming year.

What I know of ogres is this:

Ogres and High Ogres value strength in all its forms. They value strength of character (bravery), and they value strength of arms -- most often literally, but their spellcasters are no novices.

Dueling is popular in ogre culture, as is talk filled with challenges, provocations, and insults. Ogres expect a person to rise to those challenges verbally, and especially with a duel. Stand up for yourself. Prove that you are brave enough to show your own strength. Ogres will respect your bravado. They will respect you even more if you win the challenge... They also appreciate a good show in a duel. Do not be afraid to play to the crowd while you fight.

If you are not trained with weapons, challenge the ogres with what you know: a spell duel, or an arm wrestling match, or even a foot race. Go into your negotiations prepared for these contests.

Ogres are also very well known for their unabiding hatred of necromancy. They hate it even more than Acarthians hate it. When Baron Moringtide and I took a party to treat with Chieftain Skagrack and the Skullhammer Tribe locally, the ogres asked us to fight at their side against a party of undead they had tracked in the area. While I would be surprised to learn that there is a single undead creature left standing in Garthok beyond the eager reach of the ogre tribes in the first place -- If there are any undead, I would not be surprised if the ogres ask Acarthians to prove ourselves in a fight against them. Healers should especially prepare themselves with the spells they study to battle the unliving.

Tell the ogres of the fight Acarthia will make against our generational enemy, Dreadrot to the immediate north of our lands, of the struggle to defeat the dread knights, Nathaniel Worden and Anarchy, of the corruption literally growing in our forests. Acarthia values the compact the ancestors of these tribes made, and their commitment to stand as stewards of the land. Explain that this generation can rise as heroes to cleanse the land, and make the shades of their ancestors proud.

The ogres that I have met here in Acarthia revere their own sense of honor very strongly. The means of their honor is not the same as Acarthians', but it is solid and true, and very dear to them. Ogres respect honorable behavior. Do not give your word to an ogre casually, and support your words with action when you do. Remember that each of us who travels to Garthok is the ambassador of Acarthia. The tribes there will judge Acarthians, and each race that we represent, by our behavior there.

I wish good fortunes to all who travel northward. May we be successful in our cause. If anyone has further information to add about the ogres, or this quest, I encourage you to add your words to mine. We will all benefit from good advice.

In service to Acarthia,

Dame Katherine Albright
Knight of Acarthia

Back