On Armor Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magrax

Hey guys, noob here once again asking noob questions.

In the Armor rules it says that you get (for instance) 3 points for having a location half or more covered in 18 gauge metal, or 2 points if it covers less than half. While obviously this is going to vary from Marshal to Marshal, as a young fighter I'm interested in getting as close as I can to maxing out my armor, so I was hoping for a little clarification on layered armor.

If I'm wearing, say, 18 gauge steel vambraces that cover the outside of my forearms over a pair of leather gloves that covers my hand and the inside of my forearm, how many points is that?

If I'm wearing a 2 point chainmail tunic and I wear 18 gauge mirror plates over my back and my belly, how much of my back and belly need to be covered by the plate to qualify for 3 points?

If I get a pair of greaves that cover the front and sides of my legs pretty thoroughly but are exposed on the back, will I get called for being less than half the location?

If I wear a steel gorget over my chainmail tunic but it doesn't cover more than half of a location (say the back or the shoulders) is the extra metal there 'wasted'?

I'm trying to put together the desired 35 point suit as affordably as I can here. Thanks for your help!

(Edit: Another question)

I'd like to preface this with "I don't have my book with me"
But iirc over 50% gets you full points for location, and over 1/3 lands you full points -1 for the same.

Magrax said:
If I'm wearing, say, 18 gauge steel vambraces that cover the outside of my forearms over a pair of leather gloves that covers my hand and the inside of my forearm, how many points is that?
If the steel covers more than 1/2 of your forearm & hand locations (that's both sides), you get 3 points. If not but it covers at least 1/3, you get 2 points. Otherwise you get 1 point for the leather. You can NOT stack armor to get more points. The biggest point value prevails.

Magrax said:
If I'm wearing a 2 point chainmail tunic and I wear 18 gauge mirror plates over my back and my belly, how much of my back and belly need to be covered by the plate to qualify for 3 points?
More than 50% of either location to get the 3 points. The chainmail not count. If the plates don't cover more than 50%, you default to 2 points (since you have at least chainmail and/or 1/3 plates).

Magrax said:
If I get a pair of greaves that cover the front and sides of my legs pretty thoroughly but are exposed on the back, will I get called for being less than half the location?
Typically front and outside of legs is more than 50% for greaves since that is how "period" armor was made. But your local marshall will have to rule on that.

Magrax said:
If I wear a steel gorget over my chainmail tunic but it doesn't cover more than half of a location (say the back or the shoulders) is the extra metal there 'wasted'?
If it's over chainmail and said chainmail is worth 2 points, then it's wasted.
Otherwise, if it covers at least 1/3 of said location it will afford you 2 points. If less than 1/3 is covered, then it's wasted again.

Don't discount Mastercrafted bonuses. If your armor looks cool, or in period you'll additional points. Again varies marshal to marshal. Focus on having 3 point armor in the doubled spots. Chest, back and head IIRC.

-Joe

jwconvery said:
Don't discount Mastercrafted bonuses. If your armor looks cool, or in period you'll additional points. Again varies marshal to marshal. Focus on having 3 point armor in the doubled spots. Chest, back and head IIRC.

-Joe
Plus stomach. The front of the abdomen is divided into 2 armor locations while the back is one. With 3-point armor just on the upper half of your body, you get 18 points. Add in a 3-point helm and it's 24.

-Luke

edit: grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back