On Blood Magic and Details

Kasuni,

That would be much more efficient.

A voice comes from a vision of a great and verdant mountainside teeming with flora and fauna, yet all ablaze in unending flames.

"Citizens of Ceriopolis, while I understand you are culturally detached from the great races of Calliphestus, broadcasting dastardly intentions across all of our dreams is likely to make you few friends, and ultimately will lead to others looking at you as just another threat. I have witnessed first hand the honor and compassion you are capable of, though I have also seen your greed and untrusting natures as well. If you truly want to create a bastion of hope for the people of Calliphestus I suggest you act with honor and valor. Capturing and torturing, or experimenting on your enemies for the sake of information, while effective, is looked down upon as savage amongst the majority of the great races. If your need for power drives you to the same practices as the Legion, or you stand to suffer those within your society to actively, and openly act as the Legion does, then as a whole you will be judged to be as the Legion. Are you just displaced vandals and brigands, or are you the heroes this land needs. I will come back through in a couple of weeks to discuss further if you have any questions as to what I mean. Through my travels I have seen first hand what the quest for secretive and unknown power will do to the morality of a society. Until I return, be safe, and if you care for the future of Calliphestus, try to act with courage and honor.

-Furio

Furio has stated my opinions on torture and mutilation better than I could have and I agree completely.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I certainly understand that it may come across as distasteful, torture.

But I wonder how well honor and valor alone have served to defeat the Legion judging by their still being alive and well.

Honor and Valor are the pillars that the age of enlightenment and Ceriopolis were built upon. Every house embodies honor and valor, light and lies more than the others. The Legion was weakest when Ceriopolis was most honorable and valorous.

Perhaps, and there are also brief instances where such things were placed on hiatus to facilitate survival and victory.

Honor and Valor are concepts I will admit difficulty in fully comprehending, in no small part due to their subjective nature.

Regardless, fluidity is necessary to survival, a fact which I am intimately familiar with, and I cannot conceive of our success being achieved without such fluidity.

I have been told I am not well received amongst the general populace, but as our success directly dictates my immediate quality of life, I have no reason to oppose a positive outcome so I urge you not to brush off my concerns wholesale. I would not suggest such alternative thoughts or ideas if I felt they were of no matter...

It sounds as if for this situation, we do not need to concern ourselves with whether or not torture is going to occur - it is explicitly not going to. I do see the value in learning more about the elemental shard/taint that is inside these goblins. We now have a method to try that should not harm them: a Vision.

Does anyone object to this course of action for now? If not, let us continue with that plan.

In terms of the greater torture conversation, clearly, morally, to many (the majority) of us - it is wrong. Some seem to think there is a time and a place. Fortunately, we have some Equitem available to write new laws for us. I'd advise Vanyel, Nova, and Basil to consider adding a law regarding torture, and publicizing it.

-Kasuni

Frankly, the very idea of laws being established by a minority of houses is offensive. While I do not doubt the virtue of those named Equitem already, establishment of law by so few is a poor idea that will represent a narrow number of individuals on their onset. Resentment is near impossible to avoid from such an action.

While this is off of the original topic of this "discussion", do not believe that I am advocating in favor of such heinous activities as torture or mutilation. I am advocating for proper representation before individuals are expected, and very likely forced, to bow their head to laws they had no hand in the creation of. Down that road is nothing but oppression and the seeds for drastic social upheaval.

I will make this statement now. Until a set of laws is put forth by duly appointed representatives from each and every house, any set of laws that are announced are not, in any capacity, a binding agreement over any other than those whose houses assembled them. This is not a Kingdom, there exists a very real possibility of excluding one's self from the version of nobility it once practiced as well as remaining separate from every house.

It is very likely that this type of action led to its downfall before, and I will not accept that sort of action from any source.

-Eli'Razael Daeva'Sahkar Saephis

Roann,

I will provide for you this scroll and cast it if it is what you want.

-Taliya

I am not opposed to the vision. I would like to be present to witness it though.

Agreed, on all accounts, all of you.
It is not pleasant, and is in fact a very terrible thing to do to whatever, whomever. Having been a victim of it myself on many occasions I can attest to this. We all have our methods, and combining them in different facets is our best bet. Magic can see through barriers of flesh, but as we have discovered in previous cases, Magic can be clouded with Magic. Wards exist that can foul auguries, and more conventional methods alike. Our enemy has access to these sorceries through their blood magic. Mind barriers can be erected by the talented in order to proof foot soldiers against intrusion. And some creatures are just oblivious to pain and discomfiture.
Zeth, and I have already successfully combined older magics with terrestrial formal magics we could easily combine blood, and a vision to get us more concrete information, then back that up with other methods so we are not led astray, or at least can see any discrepancies between sources.

While we can devolve into our personal predilections, proclivities, and outright biases, that brings us near to the fields that brought Ceriopolis down the several times before we arrived. Great people have come before us, triumphed in the face of great odds, or were cast down, and failed. Fighting ourselves is of no avail. All sides of the various issue must come to understand that there are as many different ways of fighting a war as there are creatures upon Fortannis. All of our varied opinions are of worth from the most high minded, and visionary, to the most coldly pragmatic. We must take the strengths of both, and utilize them. Dismissing righteous idealism in favor of cold pragmatism lessens our world, and ourselves. While eschewing said pragmatism in favor of righteous idealism, leads to grievous losses.

Those of us who ply more visceral paths to information, and the prosecution of conflicts must be mindful and respectful of those who eschew such methodologies, while those who do eschew those physical techniques should be mindful of those ways of war. War is a terrible waste on all accounts, but, should we lose there will be no one left to even sing the song of our deeds, and that we cannot allow to happen. Yes lines must be drawn in the proverbial sand. And we should start with those base agreements. Such as, Necromancy, Undead, no. Not a chance, find the common ground and leave it common. The further we divide our points of view up, the further divided we become the weaker our unity, until we too are picked apart, our diversity no longer a strength, our diversity instead turned into wedges and the hammer of reality splits us apart, and we all fall down.

Let us combine a lore, and old sorcery, a vision and sorcery, and then all three to confirm our results.

Having been part of two discussions regarding the establishing of laws, I can assure you that the current direction is one of community involvement.

Frankly, the very idea of laws being established by a minority of houses is offensive. While I do not doubt the virtue of those named Equitem already, establishment of law by so few is a poor idea that will represent a narrow number of individuals on their onset. Resentment is near impossible to avoid from such an action.
I spoke to Nova while we were dining and I would not worry. Nova does not propose that we move to make any such laws until we have all eight Equitems. She is also very adamant that anyone who has not chosen a house have a voice in these laws as well. This means that everyone will be able to give voice to these laws. I support this plan of action.

Trunk looks up from his coloring book, almost like he thinks he has an intelligent thought.

"Is like if want know why friend cry. Ask gentle before ask with fire. If set friend on fire, other friends no like, set you on fire. If gentle on friend, other friends like, and gentle on you. Is simple thing."

Trunk then triumphantly goes back to his scribbles in the dream.

Back