OOG Archery, The Bow and you

NightEyes

While I was overwatching the archery tournament this last event I noticed something disturbing. roughly half the participants didn't seem to know how to properly hold, aim, or fire a bow. While in our urual games this is not an issue, since we use thrown packets and stringless bows, it was worrisome for the competition as deadly projectiles were sometimes going off target.
If there were to be a class/lessons for basics of live archery, would anyone be interested? I don't currently have my bows or any supplies, as they all reside at my mothers home in Maine still (unless she cleaned out my stuff, which is possible by now), but I will happily teach people the basics for archery such as multiple methods for drawing arrows, grip techniques, stringing, aiming, and safety. Depending on interest, as well as legal liability, and how quickly I can get my supplies or borrow others, possibly even hold this as a few hour class during an event in the spring. Tim/Grizz the groundskeeper even said he would be happy to make us all look bad on the archery field sometime, so I imagine we may even be able to borrow bows and supplies from them, liability permitting.

So thoughts, ideas, anyone interested, or is this a terrible plan.

I'm down. I wouldn't mind learning and reinforcing what I had learned. I felt like I forgot most of what I had known since I was 16 the last time I shot a bow. <.< >.> Let's just say it's been a while and leave it at that... more then half my life ago T_T.

Only if its before game-on or if after that its in character. having an ooc archery class DURING game would be.. not... appropriate. Wich means please dont involve tim (Griz) if its after game on, he's super nice, but he dosnt understand.

Good point.. and the people who already IG know archery skill likely would not sit around for an in character lesson on archery because they 'already know how to shoot'. I'll look into stuff for ladybug park and others. see if there are any policies or rules that would stop me from bringing a few hay bales and a back sheet. to fight practice sometime. would be in the spring at earliest since I would need to go back to Maine and ship myself a box if I want my nice recurve.

Many of our players practice archery regularly at nice, safe, clean, legal archery ranges like Empty Quiver Archery in Broomfield, CO.

Thus far, Alliance has a really great relationship with the neighborhood and residents around Ladybug Park in Arvada. They're very nice about the noise, nonsense, crowds, traffic. All it takes is one sharp arrow going into someone's backyard, front yard, car, or face to ruin a good thing here.

I, for one, really think that we are better off leaving archery practice to the archery range, and not bringing this into the suburban public park where we spar.

Trace Moriarty

But moving targets?

Kidding!!!

And remember folks... for the record, fighter practice at Ladybug is NOT an Alliance Sanctioned event. Please keep similar topics on the facebook fan page. Personally, I agree with Trace that if people DO want to learn, they should do it at an actual archery range and not in the capacity of official or unofficial members of Alliance Denver at a public park.

Oh god just read this thread, yes please, no real bows at Combat practice. That would NOT go over well.

Was a side thought, but likely for the best not to. I hesitate to suggest going to a devoted archery range for monetary reasons, as range time can quickly become expensive and may require memberhsips. For people who just want to learn basics to be able to hit a target from 20 feet away like we tend to do, the cost would be offputting.

With as small as Ladybug is, probably best not to use there for such things, but it at least sounds like there may be an interest in learning. As stated, if it is an unofficial event I'll keep off the official forums from now on.

Back