OOG cheating for hobling to break a promise?

James Trotta

Spellsword
Diversity Committee
The first sentence I quote from the rulebook suggests hoblings do sometimes break promises. The second sentence, however, suggests that OOG hoblings must not break a promise. I was thinking about posting this in the rules section but I figure the rulebook isn't really saying hobling characters simply can not break promises.

But I play a hobling so I need to know if I sign a contract am I obligated by OOG rules to see it through? What if I make a promise while charmed or enslaved?
Hoblings who cheat or steal are shunned by their society. They always keep to their promises once made—however, you’d better read any contract with a
hobling very carefully, as they know all the loopholes.

From what I see, it's kind of a loophole thing. It seems that the hobling wouldn't break a promise, but he could find a way out of it. Such as "I promise to defend you with my life if you give me that sword!' hobling takes a death spell and recieves a life spell. "There, I'm done. I protected you with that life, but now I gots a new one. tee-hee." Not the best example, but it's the only one that comes to mind right now.

It's basically all about roleplay. You get guidelines, but how you see them through is up to you(mostly). Like barbarians with celestial magic. They may dislike it and be uncomfortable with it, but there's no rule saying that they can't hang out with a celestial caster. on the other hand, the other barbarians may think of you as an outcast or wierd or maybe even an enemy. It's all about roleplay.

I don't see that as OOG cheating, but IG you may face severe consequences from your fellow hoblings and hobling NPCs.

OOG race cheating would be like not wearing your makeup or acting completely out of character all of the time, or breaking your word constantly. If you're really not acting like your race in the slightest the Plot Committee may force you to race change.

It seems like a better way to deal with people not playing their race is in-game - if someone is decidedly not acting like a Hobling, have the "Hobling Shire Council" hunt this person down and forcibly race change them. (Makeup being a whole other thing entirely)

jpariury said:
It seems like a better way to deal with people not playing their race is in-game - if someone is decidedly not acting like a Hobling, have the "Hobling Shire Council" hunt this person down and forcibly race change them. (Makeup being a whole other thing entirely)

Of course! I agree ... If Plot decides you should lose your race for not playing it properly, they should definitely have it happen IG in a way similar to what is suggested!

How does that prevent people who are just tired of playing there race to receive a free change?

Yeah, like if Jim the elven powergamer gets a cloak command item and no longer sees it necessary to be paying 8 build for resist commands do I just take off my elf ears until plot or rules or someone says "poof you're human; here's 8 free build."
Gilwing said:
How does that prevent people who are just tired of playing there race to receive a free change?

Thanks for answering the original question though - it is not OOG cheating to break a promise for a hobling. I figured that must be the case...

Well I'd imagine that Jim the powergamer also bought archery at half price so it would be a bit less than 8 build and plus he could only cloak X amount of times per day. But really, there isn't anything. I have a dark elf character that I stopped playing due to makeup reasons. If I ever play him again, I'll probably wander into game without the makeup on and either be turned into a normal elf or a human due to it. Is it powergaming? I suppose it could be seen that way but I am willing to give up the special abilities of the class in order to enjoy my gaming experience more. So making the game more fun for me while not infringing upon anyone else or breaking any rules, IMO, isn't a bad thing.

Failing to wear makeup is cheating, and should be dealt with like any other cheating infraction. Failing to abide by the roleplay expectations of your race is not cheating, it's simply being a bad member of your race, and likely to bring The Law® down on you.

Conceptually, sure, you're getting a "free" race change by failing to abide by the roleplay restrictions of your race (in that you don't necessarily have to acquire the components and scroll required to perform the race change), and it would still come out of policy, but if a plot team felt that was a concern, the Race Police would just take the cost of the rit out of your hide, or wallet.

That's what the rulebook says at least...

"You must not only act the race, you must also
look the race. If you do not, you will not be
allowed to continue playing the race and will
be forcibly changed into a boring human."

Sunnfire said:
That and you would only get race changed to a human, and humans who are not named Sophie suck.

Fixed.

Humans get no love. they really are the red-headed step child of the Alliance universe. in theory, they are supposed to be the numerical majority of any given kingdom, but they often seem to be in the adventurer minority

Actually, Jim the powergamer ignored archery and took shield :lol:
markusdark said:
Well I'd imagine that Jim the powergamer also bought archery at half price so it would be a bit less than 8 build and plus he could only cloak X amount of times per day.

Mobius said:
Humans get no love. they really are the red-headed step child of the Alliance universe. in theory, they are supposed to be the numerical majority of any given kingdom, but they often seem to be in the adventurer minority

Well, most of us play a human every day, so usually try for something more interesting at game.

plus if you want to use a specific weapon/magic combo you are more or less sol with a race choice other than human. Two hand sword, celestial templar(that casts the charm spell) with oog skin problems with using makeup? Human, and...also a few wylderkin types (double costs for prereq magic skills though). Also I find that certain character concepts require human without an outlandish backstory (imo).

Agahi said:
plus if you want to use a specific weapon/magic combo you are more or less sol with a race choice other than human. Two hand sword, celestial templar(that casts the charm spell) with oog skin problems with using makeup? Human, and...also a few wylderkin types (double costs for prereq magic skills though). Also I find that certain character concepts require human without an outlandish backstory (imo).

or, you could play a Gypsy, or a Mystic, or a Barbarian, or any of the applicable "make-up" races with a mask instead of face-paint. you're on the money about the role-play aspect, that is an excellent reason to play a Human, but there are no others

Mobius said:
or, you could play a Gypsy, or a Mystic, or a Barbarian, or any of the applicable "make-up" races with a mask instead of face-paint. you're on the money about the role-play aspect, that is an excellent reason to play a Human, but there are no others

What's a Mystic? Do you mean those that glue on things instead of face paint?

As for the role-play aspect, well that is the only difference we have between us and say an all-combat style larp like Amtgard. I would think that a good RP reason to play a race could win over any IG special abilities. Just requires some good plot writing and players realizing that if they don't play a human, their characters will be at a social disadvantage in the game.

Back