OOG cheating for hobling to break a promise?

many of the Mystics I've seen wear their horns on a string 'round their head or have them sewn into a hat/bandana. it reduces their make-up requirement to elf ears, which can also be attached without glue if you're skin is really that sensitive

as for roleplay, of course it trumps everything. you can have fun and make a great game playing a slime-mold, if you're clever, have a good plot writing team, and the campaign's amicable. 'course, you'll still be in the minority, have no racial advantages, backers, or racial plot. i'm not saying you can't have fun playing a Human, just that they get no love. they don't even get a write-up in the Rule Book, they're described as the "default race" (ARB pg. 38). that's just cold

Mobius said:
Humans get no love. they really are the red-headed step child of the Alliance universe. in theory, they are supposed to be the numerical majority of any given kingdom, but they often seem to be in the adventurer minority

John, not always. Take a look at SoMN - mainly human.

I'm not sure about mainly, we can approach 30% or so human, but usually thats due to a large newbie presense and many of them are moving into other races after their first game, of course, 5 humans if a majority compared to the 2-3 Kyn, Barb, Dryads etc.

Mobius said:
Agahi said:
plus if you want to use a specific weapon/magic combo you are more or less sol with a race choice other than human. Two hand sword, celestial templar(that casts the charm spell) with oog skin problems with using makeup? Human, and...also a few wylderkin types (double costs for prereq magic skills though). Also I find that certain character concepts require human without an outlandish backstory (imo).

or, you could play a Gypsy, or a Mystic, or a Barbarian, or any of the applicable "make-up" races with a mask instead of face-paint. you're on the money about the role-play aspect, that is an excellent reason to play a Human, but there are no others

"Two hand sword celestial templar(that casts the charm spell)"-me

that cuts out mwe and barb. Leaving you with human, and yes gypsy(pretty much human)..

Mystics can cast all the Command spells they like (including Charm) so long as it's at a monster or someone they deem "inhuman" (though i think the distinction is bunk, the newest ARB addendum is fairly explicit). Barbarians can cast all the Celestial spells they like, so long as they pay double for Read Magic; as odd as it may sound, i've seen Barbarian casters built around the pariah status studying Celestial magic imparts. which returns us to the original position: Humans are fairly pointless and get no love

¿has there ever been owner conversation about giving Humans some racial abilities? something akin to the xtra Feat they get in AD&D?

Racial bonuses are, in theory, balanced by racial disadvantages. This is primarily based on makeup, includes a few racial you-can't-buy or costs-you-double stuff, but also includes expectations from your "Racial elders". Human have no makeup and no racial expectations, and pay nothing extra for anything. Ergo, they don't deserve bonuses.

Mobius said:
Mystics can cast all the Command spells they like (including Charm) so long as it's at a monster or someone they deem "inhuman" (though i think the distinction is bunk, the newest ARB addendum is fairly explicit). Barbarians can cast all the Celestial spells they like, so long as they pay double for Read Magic; as odd as it may sound, i've seen Barbarian casters built around the pariah status studying Celestial magic imparts. which returns us to the original position: Humans are fairly pointless and get no love

¿has there ever been owner conversation about giving Humans some racial abilities? something akin to the xtra Feat they get in AD&D?

could you link that arc ruling, I must have missed it? Also I consider barbs (pretty much human), so I dont really care about that one. Though in this argument would not roleplaying a dislike of celestial magic fall into the getting forceably race changed catagory?

Thanks :) though it's odd, the text is mildly contradictary, but I suppose if thats the ruleing.

So human or mwe it is haha

yep, as of last ARB, Mystics have no racial disadvantage other than horns and ears (oh, and -1 body which is terrifying for about three levels); everything comes down to character interpretation and plot's willingness to accept/overlook behaviour. Barbarian and Gypsy disadvantages have much the same leeway, since both "disadvantages" amount to personal and chapter orientation

as for the Barbarians who are groovy with Celestial magic, it's usually described to me as being a "healthy respect" or a "double-edged sword": the Barbarian is using Celestial magic in the same way a scientists handles Plutonium, with distaste and awe

as for Humans not deserving anything, i still think that's bunk. ¿what's the advantage to having a race with no qualifying characteristics? that is, with as much leniency as is shown to character creation and action, ¿why bother having a race which doesn't have any rule variances? i just don't like how Humans are lost in the shuffle and receive very little plot (ancestor, magical, political, etc.) attention because they're the forgotten middle child

Speaking as a human, We don't need racials.
Any of you fancy bastards with them we will either outlive, or out populate.

Enjoy your special powers while we rule the rest of the world. :)

Yea, humans get the come to game, throw on gear and go benefit. Even an Elf has to "worry" about ears, and being hoity toity. Meh, humans are the low mantience, low worry race. Don't see a problem with that.

And if you are frustrated about humans never getting racial plot, thats an individual chapter plot team thing, not a rulebook thing.

Back