Our Nomenclature in Rathfall

Pokethulu

Fighter
Public Relations Committee
Greetings Fellow Adventurers,

When we last met in Rathfall. I spoke to Lord Montague about our given title as Unbounded. And I mentioned that we normally go by the name Adventurers and that the title Unbounded may be problematic as, we in general strive to make our own names/fate/legacy. He asked if there was another term. I advised Adventurers but, that I couldn't speak for the whole community in this matter. I come to you all. Do you have any preferences on what we are referred to as a group. My preference is Adventurer. As it is a title for good or ill I have used for many a year.

Please let me know your thoughts,

Baroness FallingStar

Thankyou Baroness for prompting this discussion.

I only speak for myself, but I also prefer the term Adventurer as well. I do not feel comfortable being reduced to and defined by a quality that I had no say in acquiring, namely the Type of Spirit that allows me to return through the Womb of the Wold. The journey back from Death is painful, lonely, and sad. Being referred to as “Unbounded” is a constant reminder of that experience and burden, even though I accept the responsibility that is inseparable from it.

I would rather be defined and identified by my Choices, which is to Adventure- to go where others can not or choose not to, and there perform deeds of great kindness and love. The qualities and resources I possess only facilitate those Choices. Even if I did not possess the ability to return from Death, I would still choose to Adventure. If given the choice, I would wish to be known by my decision to act for the benefit and wellbeing of others.

Thank you for taking the time to review my opinion.

With humble deference,
Housemother Adlao- HM, OPH

Last edited:
I really like the term Unbounded. Sure, we are Adventurers but not all claim that title as their own. Unbounded is not seen as a term of insult, its one of respect.

We do the impossible, we travel without limits, we act on our own whims. Unbounded defines all of this. There is nothing we as a group can’t accomplish when we strive towards it.

We are Unbounded, and I hope others learn to see that as an honor.

Asher

I have never liked the term "adventurer" and have worked hard to distance myself from the label. I feel it speaks of vainglory; focus on derring-do instead of balance and compassion. While there are some mercenary minded folk who fit the moniker, I feel most of my companions who fought for the betterment of Prademar, and now Rathfall and Gavaria, do not fit the strait-jacket of "adventurer". The very word speaks to reveling in chance instead of deliberation, preferring the excitement of battle and the unknown to the calm of balance and continuity, to cherishing personal reward over community. The stewards who protect these lands through strength of arms and mind may act rashly (for my taste) at times, but I have hardly ever seen them do so solely in pursuit of excitement or personal gain which is at the heart of person motivated by adventure.

At least the term Unbounded is accurate to our state of being within the Grimere Expanse. Our Spirits are not bound by the Chalice, or at least, they are bound with a more elastic tether. Furthermore, it speaks to our willingness to see beyond the confines of tyranny and decay that pervades these lands. Our eyes reach beyond the thundercloud canopy and reach to the unbounded sky for inspiration - lofty goals and aspirations for a better world.

Dramthin Hartsboon, Mist Lost
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Back