parry/riposte

xylex

well i was looking through the book and it says the a player cannot parry or riposte a waylay well it also says that you can intersepte blows of fellow commrades can you intersept waylay or assassinate

Waylay, no. Assassinate yes. You can also Parry/Riposte Assassinates yourself (somehow, don't ask for a diagram). Of course if you see someone about to Waylay your friend, no need to intercept, just yell "Polare, behind you!" and Waylay foiled hopefully.

You can basically riposte or parry any normal weapon attack: "#" <carrier>
With the single exception of waylay.

But if you could riposte a waylay, you'd knock the guy out. Having seen evil dude X come in swinging Death only to get riposted, thinking for a second, then calling a parry it's a very good idea to keep an eye on what kind of carrier you're riposting.

Solomon Maxondaerth;19684 said:
Waylay, no. Assassinate yes. You can also Parry/Riposte Assassinates yourself (somehow, don't ask for a diagram). Of course if you see someone about to Waylay your friend, no need to intercept, just yell "Polare, behind you!" and Waylay foiled hopefully.

Pfft. Why do you think Polare has so many second level spell slots? It's all about the Magic Armors.

One other note about Parry and Riposte: You must have a weapon in hand (the correct hand, presumably!) and in a position where it could reasonably intercept the strike. In other words, you can't slap your hand down on the hilt of your sheathed sword and try to parry the assassinate your buddy is taking.

-Bryan

Another question about Parrying attacks against other people: can you Parry a Spellstrike against someone else to take it yourself? It wouldn't negate the effect, since Spellstrike isn't Parryable, but it would make sense to make the Spellstrike hit you instead. I think this may have come up a while ago, but I don't remember if there was any kind of ruling about it.

Carter;19970 said:
Another question about Parrying attacks against other people: can you Parry a Spellstrike against someone else to take it yourself? It wouldn't negate the effect, since Spellstrike isn't Parryable, but it would make sense to make the Spellstrike hit you instead. I think this may have come up a while ago, but I don't remember if there was any kind of ruling about it.

Actually, this is something I've been wondering about as well for a while.

Say someone gets hit with a Spellstrike Dominate.

Can:

Joe Elf go: Parry, Resist -or- Parry, Spellshield -or- Parry, Cloak

All depending on pre-casts, racials, etc, etc.. I'm just curious as well if you can parry and then use your own defences against a spellstrike by taking the weapon attack with your parry.

I'm pretty sure you have to have spell parry to parry and NOT take the effect. In theory, you should be able to parry the blow and eat it.

But I don't have a ritual DB, so don't take my word for it.

I'm pretty sure the ruling on this was yes indeed you need to have a spell parry in order to parry a spellstrike, because a spellstrike is considered a spell and not a weapon attack for reasons of defenses. IE you cannot Magic armor a spellstrike, you need a spell shield. Yes, it would make sense that you should be able to interpose your weapon and Parry the weapon blow that's delivering the spellstrike, but them's the breaks.

Of course you could always actually, physically parry the blows... then youtake the spell strike and are even more awesome becauseyou're using your actual fighting skills.

Actually, the ruling that was made is that you may not use a spell parry in someone else's defense.

From the scroll text:
This ritual allows the wielder of the weapon the ritual is cast upon to use a parry (if they may parry with the weapon) to Cloak any battle magic spell or attack of Magic <Battle Magic Spell> that would normally affect them, the spell or Magic attack must hit the wielder of the weapon, the parry cannot be used to intercept a spell on another target. Spell Parry may also be used to negate Spell strikes. Battle magic spell is defined as any spell listed in the current version of the NERO rules and rules addendum used by Nero Alliance.

The way I understand it, is that as long as you have a weapon free (you could swing it if you needed to) in the proper hand (you have sufficient profs assigned to the hand that is holding said weapon) and be within the distance of your weapon's reach (you must be able to at least touch the person with your weapon):

1) You may Parry / Riposte any normal weapon attack for yourself someone else.

2) You may Parry (not sure about Riposte) any Spellstrike for someone else, but you must take the effect as though it had hit you.

2b) You would then be able to call a suitable spell defense (for Parry, not sure about Riposte; probably the same sort of thing--you'd take the effect as would whomever did the spellstrike?) if you had one (spell parry, for example, if it worked; remember, battle magic only for that one); thus you'd be using two defenses to negate a spellstrike on someone else.

3) You may not Parry / Riposte Waylay, for yourself or anyone else. (I hate Waylay, by the way, I think it's a cheesy skill, especially since one is unable to negate it with "fighter" skills.)

4) You may not Spell Parry for anyone but yourself.

If I have any of those points incorrect, please feel free to correct me.

#2 is incorrect. From the rulebook: "Note that even though the effect is delivered by weapon instead of packet, this is still considered a spell attack and not a weapon attack. Weapon defenses such as Magic Armor or Parry do not protect against it..." (pg102).

Parry is usable against a weapon attack against yourself or someone within reasonable range. As defined by the rules, Spellstrike is not a weapon attack. Therefore, you may not Parry a spellstrike against someone else.

The other three are correct.

Groovy.

Thanks for the correction, JP.

=)

The intent, from the ARC, from this thread is that you may indeed Parry a Spellstrike, and then take (or call a new defense) against the effect.
However, that is not 100% official until Bryan decrees it so.

Back